Denon AH-7200
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #3,016 of 3,166
Has something change in the latest units of D7200? I saw several old reviews saying the soundstage here is decent but the mids are recessed... While on yt there is a dude who said 6 months ago the soundstage is small and the mids are forward.... I understand that everything is subjective and depends on the rest of the gear and your ears but were there some modifications in the meantime maybe?

Jan 9, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #3,018 of 3,166
Ok I read a little more and I see there was some update in D7200's driver. Has anyone listened to both of them and can say what changed when compared to the old one?

I had both for 1 whole day... compared them A/B. I posted some info and photos of them both in this thread.
The new driver sounded a bit better. Better resolution, less dark, more balanced sound overall.
The bass sounded the same on both. Immediately I had to lowered my EQ in the mids and highs region with the new pair.
I would say the new driver is very close to the D9200 one (I think it might be the same).
It is definitely an upgrade to the original version, shame the Denon did not inform about that.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #3,019 of 3,166
I had both for 1 whole day... compared them A/B. I posted some info and photos of them both in this thread.
The new driver sounded a bit better. Better resolution, less dark, more balanced sound overall.
The bass sounded the same on both. Immediately I had to lowered my EQ in the mids and highs region with the new pair.
I would say the new driver is very close to the D9200 one (I think it might be the same).
It is definitely an upgrade to the original version, shame the Denon did not inform about that.
How to find if my pair is new one or old one?

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #3,020 of 3,166
How to find if my pair is new one or old one?

Very good question indeed. So, I have checked this for you... Checked the box cover with all the info and photos.... its not there. Then I checked the documentation it comes with but it only says printed 2016. After proper inspection I found it.

There is small sticker with date which is most likely the manufacturing date on the bottom of the box. There are two numbers... date and serial number.
My one says 220801. So they are from 1st August 2022. If you can inspect or find out this date from the seller then ensure your unit is dated 2022 or newer.
I don't think its possible to find out when exactly these drivers were replaced I am only assuming.

I hope somebody else will have a chance to find out more about this and share it with us here.

Other method might be to test them directly in store best against D9200.
If they sound similar then it should be the new driver. If they sound like recessed in mids / highs then it should be the original one.

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #3,021 of 3,166
Very good question indeed. So, I have checked this for you... Checked the box cover with all the info and photos.... its not there. Then I checked the documentation it comes with but it only says printed 2016. After proper inspection I found it.

There is small sticker with date which is most likely the manufacturing date on the bottom of the box. There are two numbers... date and serial number.
My one says 220801. So they are from 1st August 2022. If you can inspect or find out this date from the seller then ensure your unit is dated 2022 or newer.
I don't think its possible to find out when exactly these drivers were replaced I am only assuming.

I hope somebody else will have a chance to find out more about this and share it with us here.

Other method might be to test them directly in store best against D9200.
If they sound similar then it should be the new driver. If they sound like recessed in mids / highs then it should be the original one.
so, if my pair is 2022 then it will have new drivers? Your pair also have new drivers and dated 2022

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #3,022 of 3,166
so, if my pair is 2022 then it will have new drivers? Your pair also have new drivers and dated 2022

There is no guarantee, just assuming... yes these 2022 have new driver

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #3,023 of 3,166
Thanks krenky. The question is can they still be considered as a basshead/bass quantity headphones? I was looking for something with a decent deep low end for watching movies on laptop (mainly for this, maybe also to try a different taste in music) and this was the candidate which seemed to be underestimated by crowd :)

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #3,024 of 3,166
Thanks krenky. The question is can they still be considered as a basshead/bass quantity headphones? I was looking for something with a decent deep low end for watching movies on laptop (mainly for this, maybe also to try a different taste in music) and this was the candidate which seemed to be underestimated by crowd :)

All you need is some good dac/amp to drive them and they will deliver great bass. Just read in this thread to find out more, once tuned properly they are very addictive. I used them for everything including gaming. I think in this price range there are not too many great closed backs especially with wooden cups. Its like having D9200 without paying the premium price for it.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #3,025 of 3,166
All you need is some good dac/amp to drive them and they will deliver great bass. Just read in this thread to find out more, once tuned properly they are very addictive. I used them for everything including gaming. I think in this price range there are not too many great closed backs especially with wooden cups. Its like having D9200 without paying the premium price for it.
I'd gladly stay with the gear I already have for now 😄 Currently I have Ferrum stack and Mojo 2 for mobile listening. I hope some good synergy is possible with at least one of them.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #3,029 of 3,166
Have you checked the fostex th900 mk2? I saw one used selling for 850 eur on ebay
maybe you can negotiate and go down further on pricing
Thank you for being so caring :D But I think I want to skip it. I didn't listen to it but I read it can be hot on treble and has recessed midrange - so my guess is I will like denon more... I aim to find kind of a quality visceral and bass generous toy with a good price/quality ratio, and also Denon looks better.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #3,030 of 3,166
Thank you for being so caring :D But I think I want to skip it. I didn't listen to it but I read it can be hot on treble and has recessed midrange - so my guess is I will like denon more... I aim to find kind of a quality visceral and bass generous toy with a good price/quality ratio, and also Denon looks better.
Yeah treble can be a bit hot but the overall resolution, quality of the sound is clearly better on th900. You also have an option of focal clear og, if you are also considering open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back