Denon AH-7200
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #2,776 of 3,166
Which one do you personally prefer and listen to the most? Is it worth keeping both? With the right cables are there any noticeable differences? In my case, I am worried that the D9200 would not be superior to the D7200 especially now I found the right EQ settings for me. They can produce very clean sound and lively trebles if EQed properly.

Plus I would prefer proper wooden cups before the bamboo ones but I have not listen to them properly so cannot say, its just personal preference. The wood will always have superior sonic qualities before any other material (maybe except bamboo D).

IIRC I summarized it in the D9200 thread, too. As for me and YMMV, after a lot of combinations,
- the bamboo cups sound much better (more open, better stage, just more musical) than the walnut cups (more muffled), though the D9200 treble is diminished with the walnut cups
- the D7200 drivers with the bamboo cups sound one level up, but still not reaching the D9200, though YMMV, since for overall quality might be just enough for you;
- good copper cables are likely the best with the D9200, but good silver cables are easier to find;
- good silver cables do elevate the D7200 as well;
- EQ won't make the D7200 drivers approach the D9200 drivers;
- in their best versions (damping, cables, ear pads), the D7200 are close or even better than the stock D9200, since their non-fatiguing, musical sound;
- in their best version, the D9200 are quite far above the D7200 in clarity and resolution at all frequencies, approaching e-stats, so that's what I am mostly using, but when time to time I reach for the D7200, it's like mmm, these are good, too, actually they make sense;
- the D7200 is still worth keeping for its second-hand price, as nothing at that price comes close, so I'd rather keep them around. But if someone really, really wants mine, PM me :).

So, what cables? I prefer making them myself, since stock versions either not found with thick enough strands, or too expensive compared to the headphones.
Try to find single stranded UP-OCC copper or silver wire, 0.25-0.35 mm (8-12 strands per headphone cable), or 0.4-0.6 mm (4-8 strands), for instance at Wires.co.uk or Audiophonics or Toxic Cables, or elsewhere (please share tips if you have).
Edit: right now I am using Toxic Cable Silver Widow v2, but will likely try the ones from Audiophonics as well. The Wires.co.uk cotton covered copper cables sound very good, too, immediately noticeable difference from the stock cables, you need as thin as possible (close to 0.3 mm) strands and braid as needed. The 0.5 mm (times 4 or 8) is too thick already, the cable will be stiff. Cotton wrappings, connectors, splitter, shrinkwrap etc. needed.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #2,777 of 3,166
IIRC I summarized it in the D9200 thread, too. As for me and YMMV, after a lot of combinations,
- the bamboo cups sound much better (more open, better stage, just more musical) than the walnut cups (more muffled), though the D9200 treble is diminished with the walnut cups
- the D7200 drivers with the bamboo cups sound one level up, but still not reaching the D9200, though YMMV, since for overall quality might be just enough for you;
- good copper cables are likely the best with the D9200, but good silver cables are easier to find;
- in their best versions (damping, cables, ear pads), the D7200 are close or even better than the stock D9200, since their non-fatiguing, musical sound;
- in their best version, the D9200 are quite far above the D7200 in clarity and resolution at all frequencies, approaching e-stats, so that's what I am mostly using, but when time to time I reach for the D7200, it's like mmm, these are good, too, actually they make sense;
- the D7200 is still worth keeping for its second-hand price, as nothing at that price comes close, so I'd rather keep them around. But if someone really, really wants mine, PM me :).

So, what cables? I prefer making them myself, since stock versions either not found with thick enough strands, or too expensive compared to the headphones.
Try to find single stranded UP-OCC copper or silver wire, 0.25-0.35 mm (8-12 strands per headphone cable), or 0.4-0.6 mm (4-8 strands), for instance at Wires.co.uk or Audiophonics or Toxic Cables, or elsewhere (please share tips if you have).
Edit: right now I am using Toxic Cable Silver Widow v2, but will likely try the ones from Audiophonics as well. The Wires.co.uk cotton covered copper cables sound very good, too, immediately noticeable difference from the stock cables, you need as thin as possible (close to 0.3 mm) strands and braid as needed. The 0.5 mm (times 4 or 8) is too thick already, the cable will be stiff. Cotton wrappings, connectors, splitter, shrinkwrap etc. needed.

Thanks man! That info really helps.
Although I would never consider selling the D7200 just wanted to find out of the D9200 would make sense to buy and it sounds like they do.

I would be interested in the pure silver cable for the D7200, are there any good existing cables (complete with plugs) available for the D7200?
Or if you have some for sale I am interested, sounds like you know everything about the right cables for Denons.
Something that wont cost the same as the actual headphones. :)

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,778 of 3,166

I've been wanting to make headphone cables out of the mundorf silver/gold solid core wiring sleeved in pe but it is pricey.

I have experimented quite a bit with this wire and love its sonic character.

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #2,780 of 3,166
Could something like this work for D7200 well? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004017875616.html

I think these would be a disappointment. I already tried a similar copper version: strands and cables too thin, with flat and really boring sound. The stock cables sounded far better. Mainly forget Ali, in the UK you can find far better cables made locally, try Toxic Cables, recommended. In the EU, for similar money, I'd try 4 strands of these, or these in sleeves, DIY of course.

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #2,781 of 3,166
Could something like this work for D7200 well? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004017875616.html

I recently received this hakugei healer cable from ali and it sounds great.

You can ask them to make it with 3.5mm connectors.
20221117_195451.JPG

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #2,782 of 3,166
I recently received this hakugei healer cable from ali and it sounds great.

You can ask them to make it with 3.5mm connectors.
20221117_195451.JPG

It looks great...how much you paid? Is it pure silver? I need only silver for the D7200. Post the link pls if you can. I would pay up to 150 for a good silver cable. Thanks

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #2,783 of 3,166
It looks great...how much you paid? Is it pure silver? I need only silver for the D7200. Post the link pls if you can. I would pay up to 150 for a good silver cable. Thanks
I'll post a link when i get home, there was one that i was looking at, seller stated it was pure silver.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #2,784 of 3,166
Okay, I gave one more chance for some controlled comparisons between cables on the D7200 and D9200, with multiple genres, then verified with 2 sources and amps.
Takeaways are pretty consistent, though surprising even to me, so follow-ups might happen.

Cables: D7200, D9200 long, D9200 short, and short 120 cm DIY thin-strand pure silver from Toxic Cables (Silver Widow v2 in silk sleeve, note that the stock ready made cable costs the same as the D7200), various UP-OCC cables from AliExpress. Of course, the real deal would be to also replace the inner cable, but obviously I skipped that. :)

On the D7200, I consistently preferred the D7200 own (Cu) cables for overall musicality. The Silver Widow improved on sound staging, definition and had somewhat better treble, but I liked more the timbres with the D7200 cables, and they were very close anyway. Guitars in particular sounded more real with the latter, and so did most acoustic instruments. The D9200 (Ag plated Cu) cable had more shine to the treble, but was kind of off. Much better than many Ag plated Cu cables on the market, but still not top. The short D9200 cable (Cu) was kind of flat, but still much better than the allegedly UP-OCC cables from AliExpress.

On the D9200, I preferred the Silver Widow for sound stage, definition and timbre, but I could live with the D7200 cables nearly as happy, sometimes even more happy. The D9200 cables sounded with even more shine to the treble, and also kind of off.

However, the differences were rather small, the different ear pads have affected the sound much more.
As a temporary conclusion, accept that the D7200 have good cables and resist upgraditis, unless you can make DIY thick stranded pure Ag or pure Cu cables, or then invest similar amount in cables as the headphones cost.

Between the D7200 and D9200, using the same cables and ear pads, the latter was a definite winner for me, in resolution, timbre, sound stage, etc. The D7200 has somewhat more PRAT in the Naim sense, but in comparison, I always preferred the D9200, which sound much closer to my reference e-stats.

I have also tried a DIY thick-stranded copper cable, which I think was too thick at ~0.45 mm per strand, it's borderline too rigid, so I will try another run around 0.3 mm strands. The sound was VERY promising, though. Most Litz-structured cables on the market come with around 0.08-0.13 mm strands, which I consider too thin, and the sound tends to be flat and boring in comparison with thicker strands.
The advantage of pure Ag wires is that you can use thicker and more strands because they are less rigid, so Litz with thicker strands is possible. Sound-wise a lot depends on how they were pulled and insulated (correlating with price).
I need to convince myself to make 2 more cables, Cu with 0.25-0.3 mm strands and Ag with ~0.3 mm strands. I'd encourage manufacturers to experiment with these parameters.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #2,785 of 3,166
Here reporting on my latest purchase and its synergy with the 7200. I bought the Topping L30II in the Blackfriday sales. I use as source the AK SR25 either with my own flac or dsf files and with Apple Music. The SR25 has an good line out. The Topping L30II works amazingly well with the 7200. There is a clear improvement not only in sheer power but in soundstage and instrument separation. This little amp rocks: lots of power and no coloration or distortion of the sound of any kind as far as I can hear. I knew already that the 7200 scale well and this has only confirmed my previous experience.
I listen mainly to classical music and I had Sunday and Monday a couple of sesions listening to Beethoven 7th, Tchaikovsky 6, Brahms 4th, pieces I know well and love and I am really pleased with the purchase. It is a bargain for the price. Also to my ears it fits wonderfully with the SR25 and the 7200

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #2,786 of 3,166
Here reporting on my latest purchase and its synergy with the 7200. I bought the Topping L30II in the Blackfriday sales. I use as source the AK SR25 either with my own flac or dsf files and with Apple Music. The SR25 has an good line out. The Topping L30II works amazingly well with the 7200. There is a clear improvement not only in sheer power but in soundstage and instrument separation. This little amp rocks: lots of power and no coloration or distortion of the sound of any kind as far as I can hear. I knew already that the 7200 scale well and this has only confirmed my previous experience.
I listen mainly to classical music and I had Sunday and Monday a couple of sesions listening to Beethoven 7th, Tchaikovsky 6, Brahms 4th, pieces I know well and love and I am really pleased with the purchase. It is a bargain for the price. Also to my ears it fits wonderfully with the SR25 and the 7200

I am glad the purchase worked for you. How much was it? For the affordable price I would suggest to try the FiiO K7, their dacs are very good. Im considering this as an upgrade looking for various dacs but K7 and K9 Pro are on my list.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #2,787 of 3,166
Hey,
I have a question related to the selection of a dac for these Danon headsets. May not very expensive portable Dac ( ifi hip dac or fiio k5 pro or their newest version) significantly improve the sound quality mainly improving soundstage that is quite narrow in the case of the 5200? Thanks in advance! 🧡
Yes, anything putting out more power than your phone will help.

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #2,788 of 3,166
I am glad the purchase worked for you. How much was it? For the affordable price I would suggest to try the FiiO K7, their dacs are very good. Im considering this as an upgrade looking for various dacs but K7 and K9 Pro are on my list.
The Topping L30II was 126 € in Amazon.es. Normal price 149.99. This is just amp, pretty powerful amp, but no dac. I like the sound of the AK SR25 and how it works with the 7200.
The Fiio K7 is dac and amp. Supposed to be good dac. The amp is less powerful than the Topping. Edit K7 is the new one with balanced output

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,789 of 3,166
having owned d2000 for 10 years and seeing them fall apart made me purchase d5200 and d7200 on sale to see which one is better and send one back.

I like black leather more over brown on the 5200 but not a big factor

I use Fiio E7 as my PC DAC connected to NAD 375BEE amp where I connect my headphones too.

Out of the gate the 7200 sound dull, some call it... "dark" i totally hate the way they are balanced, having used to somewhat bright d2000 this d7200 feel just wrong, and make my ears tired of any song after 15 seconds, when I connected the 5200 all this is fixed and they sound Just like my d2000 were.... Well a bit better.

My issue is, is this how the d7200 suppose to sound? is there anything with my setup that affects it more than it should?

I'd rather stay on 7200 as the quality is a bit better plus the black leather but I cannot stand that 5200 sound just so much more "better", clearer and more opened than d7200 where everything is so suppressed especially high notes and the muds are somewhat over pronounced to me...

I have taken the white foam out from the inside of the cups of 7200 and it helped a bit but.... it is still not close enough to d5200.

is this a matter of.... well you like 5200 more.... pick the 5200 and return the 7200?

another question is.... can I get them to play.... brighter a bit or?

thank you guys
I find the opposite. The 5200 are not a patch on the 7200. The 5200 are a fairly decent average mid range pair of headphones dressed as an expensive high end headphone. I find the treble irritating, a slightly metallic edge. This from a Grado and Beyer owner.

The 7200 on the other hand is a unique and almost magical headphone. Smooth and as luxurious sounding as they look but no detail missing from the audio spectrum. Just what I need for my particular circumstances; decent isolation in a noisier environment, beautiful style and build and a sound that I can listen to for hours of varied music.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back