Denon AH-7200
Jan 23, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #1,876 of 3,166
You can read posts by me or even better zolkis in this thread. He covered pads for 7200 extensively. To quickly answer your question in Universe pads - they fit, but they change the sound signature a bit too much for my taste. I've tried Ori, Universe and hifiman pads on 7200 and still using stock pads. Stock pads are quite good.

I still want to try the 5200 pads on my 7200 as zolkis commented they are even better, but I haven't yet managed to get a pair.

Thanks for the response, I definitely went over many of the options written here in this thread, but just wanted a little more input from others to narrow down the search and see which I'll try out first (the pads certainly aren't exactly cheap). The D5200 pads sounds promising as well though I'm not a fan of the brown color. Going to start with some Ori's and some perforated no-name pads and see what they do with the sound.

Feb 1, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,877 of 3,166
Will this M-Stage headphone amplifier in the link below work with the AH-D7200 headphones?, if not, can someone please recommend a amplifier of high quality that is not too expensive. I have the AH-D2000 headphones now, how big is the difference in sound quality between the two, will i notice a big difference?, i dont have the opportunity to try them in a store unfortunately,

My M-Stage amp:
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/1670977_thumb.jpg

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #1,878 of 3,166
Will this M-Stage headphone amplifier in the link below work with the AH-D7200 headphones?, if not, can someone please recommend a amplifier of high quality that is not too expensive. I have the AH-D2000 headphones now, how big is the difference in sound quality between the two, will i notice a big difference?, i dont have the opportunity to try them in a store unfortunately,

My M-Stage amp:

Shouldn't be an issue, that does look like a 3.5mm slot so youll need an adapter if using the stock cable.

I use an O2 with my 7200 and need this adapter as well, have had one of these Grado adapters for many years and it has never failed me

https://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-A...4386&sr=8-3&keywords=1/4+to+1/8+adapter+grado

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #1,880 of 3,166
Shouldn't be an issue, that does look like a 3.5mm slot so youll need an adapter if using the stock cable.

I use an O2 with my 7200 and need this adapter as well, have had one of these Grado adapters for many years and it has never failed me

https://www.amazon.com/Grado-Mini-Adaptor/dp/B001DK1ZVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549044386&sr=8-3&keywords=1/4+to+1/8+adapter+grado

I use an adaptor that looks like kinda like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J2OSNB...&pd_rd_r=31a959d2-264d-11e9-b0de-212d94c64fa6

The AH-D7200 should work with the same adaptor that works with my AH-D2000 headphones?, i guess its the same size on the stock Cable right?.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #1,881 of 3,166
I use an adaptor that looks like kinda like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J2OSNB...&pd_rd_r=31a959d2-264d-11e9-b0de-212d94c64fa6

The AH-D7200 should work with the same adaptor that works with my AH-D2000 headphones?, i guess its the same size on the stock Cable right?.

That's actually the opposite of the adapter i linked, and would convert 1/8 jack to 1/4. the 7200 uses a 1/4 inch plug directly on the cable. so if your m stage accepts the adapter you linked you wont need an adapter at all :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #1,882 of 3,166
That's actually the opposite of the adapter i linked, and would convert 1/8 jack to 1/4. the 7200 uses a 1/4 inch plug directly on the cable. so if your m stage accepts the adapter you linked you wont need an adapter at all :)

I am not sure what the size of my adapter is but i need it beacuse the stock Cable wont fit in the amp slot without it. But i guess the size of the stock Cable on the AH-D7200 is the same as the AH-D2000 so my current adapter should work with the 7200 also, isnt that right? :).

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #1,883 of 3,166
Do any 7200 owners here agree that the 7200 is to soft in the sound when playing music like Rage Against the Machine or other hardrock music?. What do you guys think of this critic?

"There’s a smoothness to the Denon AH-D7200s’ sound that will leave you listening for hours without getting fatigued. That smoothness does come at the expense of total transparency and punch, but it’s a balance we can imagine many getting along with.

Where that balance doesn’t quite work is if you’re listening to songs that demand precision and attack. Any song by Rage Against the Machine or Eminem sounds a touch too soft through the Denon, where it should be packed with attitude.

The B&W P9s may have an exuberant low-end, but they handle rhythm and dynamics with greater accuracy and control. They’ve got more punch. And they get across the true intent of a song more faithfully than the Denons.

This comes across with John Williams scores, too. Rey’s Theme from Star Wars: The Force Awakens sounds delicate and harmonious through the Denons. But the B&Ws time better, and give you a better sense of the song – it’s more involving."
https://www.whathifi.com/denon/ah-d7200/review

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,884 of 3,166
Do any 7200 owners here agree that the 7200 is to soft in the sound when playing music like Rage Against the Machine or other hardrock music?. What do you guys think of this critic?

"There’s a smoothness to the Denon AH-D7200s’ sound that will leave you listening for hours without getting fatigued. That smoothness does come at the expense of total transparency and punch, but it’s a balance we can imagine many getting along with.

Where that balance doesn’t quite work is if you’re listening to songs that demand precision and attack. Any song by Rage Against the Machine or Eminem sounds a touch too soft through the Denon, where it should be packed with attitude.

The B&W P9s may have an exuberant low-end, but they handle rhythm and dynamics with greater accuracy and control. They’ve got more punch. And they get across the true intent of a song more faithfully than the Denons.

This comes across with John Williams scores, too. Rey’s Theme from Star Wars: The Force Awakens sounds delicate and harmonious through the Denons. But the B&Ws time better, and give you a better sense of the song – it’s more involving."
https://www.whathifi.com/denon/ah-d7200/review
They just lack in resolution (quite considerably). Some people wrongly call it softness while they just lack in resolution and can be bright at the same time and some occasions. They are good HPs nothing more. If you like transparency and balance of d2000 you will find d7200 to be very different HPs.

In the end they are not my cup of tea due to poor resolution masking fine detail of quality recordings.

Those can be good though for medicire (so 90% of pop, rock, metal) recordings and that is why I keep them.

Oh and if you want some kind of reference point for my evaluation I think that the HD650/6xx are utter garbage.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,885 of 3,166
I do find the D7200 to have a very "friendly" and non-fatiguing sound, . I enjoy music the way it's presented with them, they make good sounding records great and slightly forgive bad sounding ones (my main genres are metal and rock). I do get that some people find them lacking in resolving detail, and that it might be a deal breaker at this price, but I'd still consider them fairly detailed and airy for a closed headphone without a hint of fatiguing treble which most e.g. Beyer cans have had that I've tried. But if you''re looking for headphones in this price range and they don't need to be closed there are many open alternatives that probably are a better overall package sound wise.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #1,886 of 3,166
They just lack in resolution (quite considerably). Some people wrongly call it softness while they just lack in resolution and can be bright at the same time and some occasions. They are good HPs nothing more. If you like transparency and balance of d2000 you will find d7200 to be very different HPs.

In the end they are not my cup of tea due to poor resolution masking fine detail of quality recordings.

Those can be good though for medicire (so 90% of pop, rock, metal) recordings and that is why I keep them.

Oh and if you want some kind of reference point for my evaluation I think that the HD650/6xx are utter garbage.

My experience is very different. When it comes to resolution, I find the HD800, HD650 & AH-D7200 to be the the 3 most resolving and lowest distortion cans I have tried (out of about 30).

The are warm sounding with a slight recessed treble but to me that just keeps them from getting fatiguing at high volumes.

If you throw fenestrated pads on them, their measured response is very close to the d2000. Helps cut the bass a bit if u do prefer that neutral signature.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #1,887 of 3,166
D7100, T1.2, D1001 are the tree significantly more resolving headphones then D7200 that I know.

The only less resolving HPs I know are HD650/6XX.

The above are the headphones I know very good.

D7200 are cutting off quite a lot of information. Ambient (plankton) and reverb so room size, general venue information etc are the biggest victims. They change listening of quality music into FM radio type experience.

But then none of the HPs i know can come even close to high-end speakers in resolution so it is all a bit academic discussion.

Cheers

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,888 of 3,166
D7100, T1.2, D1001 are the tree significantly more resolving headphones then D7200 that I know.

The only less resolving HPs I know are HD650/6XX.

The above are the headphones I know very good.

D7200 are cutting off quite a lot of information. Ambient (plankton) and reverb so room size, general venue information etc are the biggest victims. They change listening of quality music into FM radio type experience.

Cheers

I agree to disagree. :) Out of the three you mentioned, I've only owned the T1.2. I did not find it more resolving, just more treble spiky and fatiguing. I can't comment on the others.

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,890 of 3,166
I agree to disagree. :) Out of the three you mentioned, I've only owned the T1.2. I did not find it more resolving, just more treble spiky and fatiguing. I can't comment on the others.

Unfortunately it is true that T1.2 Silver are more fatiguing because of the energetic HF but are also considerably more resolving.

T1.2 black however are less fatiguing then D7200 but also are darker then T1.2 Silver so a bit less resolving and closer to D7200 in this regard but still more resolving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back