Denon AH-7200
Jun 20, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #1,756 of 3,155
maybe denon resolved problems in d7200 with this. d9200
20180612130408_2018-06-12_Denon-AH-D9200-01_(850x567).jpg

https://www.hificorner.nl/denon-ah-d9200.html

Jun 29, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #1,757 of 3,155
I had a chance to listen E-MU Teak at He-Fe Festival in Tokyo.
1. E-MU Teak has U shape. When you hear a singer's voice, It is O.K but with musical devices, there is a slight vocal backing: not recessed.
2. D7200 has more Sound stage(space) than E-MU Teak.
3. D7200 is richer and clearer than E-MU Teak: Sorry, I just heard E-MU at noisy place and I am not sure. But I guess.
4. But E-MU Teak is a lot cheaper and if you listen to music with phones, I guess E-MU Teak is O.K.
5. Amazingly, D7200 is much much better with powerful amp. Even though, I am using D7200 with Cavalli Audo Liquid Gold. D7200 needs a lot of power, if you want to listen to the right sound.

Kwan
I was comparing these recently and got an oppisite result. The 7200 was sounding veiled with much less soundstgae than the E-Mu. The E-MU was clearer, more resolving with better bass definition and punch.

Jun 29, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #1,758 of 3,155
I was comparing these recently and got an oppisite result. The 7200 was sounding veiled with much less soundstgae than the E-Mu. The E-MU was clearer, more resolving with better bass definition and punch.

That was my first impression, too: nearly all Fostex variants sounded like that compared to the D7200, except that with different pads IMHO the D7200 pulls to the front. Then, on long term listening the D7200 is a keeper. I am really curious about the upcoming D9200...

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,760 of 3,155
I have also experimented a lot with the D7200. I left the cups damping with the original settings. Eventually when the headphones are about 2 years old, I need to measure whether the polyfill in the cups is still needed (it was not needed any more with the TH900, making the sound more defined in the whole spectrum).

The biggest impact is made by the pads indeed. The best pad I have sound so far (there've been many "best" so far), is a modified version of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172857611490
Note that they are perforated in the inner circumference.
The mod consists of opening the back sewing and trimming the memory foam filling until it sounded similarly open as with the stock pads, but without any trace of shouting or honking.
This is quite linear, except for an elevated low bass, which I find a nice compromise.

When I will be able to get replacement pads, I will modify them by opening up and trimming from the foam in the back side. That should fix the honkiness.

See the measurements below.

The effect of pads on the D7200 FR. The red line is the best sounding one. The green line is the stock one (with a visible midrange bump).

Then, my modded TH900 vs my modded D7200. The TH900 sounds more lively and slightly more emotional, the D7200 sounds more neutral, but still rich in tone. Depending on music genre I prefer one or the other. Both modded headphones impulse response is way better than the stock version. Also, the spectrogram is smoother and distortion is lower in the bass region.

NB. Please don't send PMs about mod requests, I have no time for that unfortunately. Take courage and do it yourself, if you want it at all :).

Thanks for the post :) Bought the Pads you are mentioning. Can you please elaborate on the trimming process?. They sound really good - more musical than stock pads but with a slightly elevated sub and mid bass I think. How did you make the sound more open?

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,761 of 3,155
Both modded headphones impulse response is way better than the stock version
Hey I forgot to ask about posting the impulse reaponse if you ever had time.
Its not an easy to guage measurement, but be interesting to see anyways.
I can post mine and also a stock to see if there is any variance between stock versions.

Or maybe not..
Maybe you just have the perfect Denon head then.
:)

Jul 10, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #1,762 of 3,155
Thanks for the post :) Bought the Pads you are mentioning. Can you please elaborate on the trimming process?. They sound really good - more musical than stock pads but with a slightly elevated sub and mid bass I think. How did you make the sound more open?

By making the foam filling thinner. Almost half thinner or exactly half thinner. For doing that, you need to open the pads. Fold out the leatherette flap to make visible the sewing. Undo the outer circumference sewing, from the inner side. I have pictures in the mods threads for Fostex and Stax. Then you can take out the pads filling and start trimming the front and back in an angled fashion. I had two pad pairs and for one of them I have just cut one filling in half, following an oblique line, resulting in two angled halves. But you may want a bit thicker than that, especially in the back. You can leave about 50% thickness in the front, but leave it at 60-70% in the back. As a result, the pads will become a bit large for the now thinner filling, so optimally one would need to undo the pads completely and reduce the height of the inner (perforated) stripe. I did that to a Stax pad and wasn't a big deal, but you need to be comfortable with using a sewing machine, or have someone near who does. For the Denon I am just using the now very plush pads, attached to the housing with double sided adhesive stripes, without the plastic mounting rings. Both comfort and sound is very good.

Hey I forgot to ask about posting the impulse response if you ever had time.
:)

I am traveling and need some weeks to get back to that data, but will try to not forget about it.

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #1,764 of 3,155
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,765 of 3,155
Hi guys, i recently bought D7200, and I have Denon DA300USB, Is this amp/dac suite the D7200, or should i upgrade ?
can you please recommend amp/dac compo $500~$700 for D7200?

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,768 of 3,155
This fostex amp covers all my needs, also has the balanced output in case you ever need it. I think it is much better than the Denon amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back