Denon AH-7200
Apr 9, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #1,667 of 3,156
Headband looks a bit defferent, so maybe there were some changes. And since the frame looks IMHO very, very similiar (or exactly the same) maybe it will be replaceable.
Though I presonally have no problems with 7200 headband :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,668 of 3,156
this should be interesting

61y6MdM8MaL._SL1280_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Denon-デノン-密閉ダイナミック型-ウッドハウジング-AH-D5200/dp/B07BRJBYFT

Interesting... especially the 3,5mm cable. And while the stitched headband looks good, this version might be more comfortable

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #1,669 of 3,156
this should be interesting

Hmm I have to admit I'm not really a fan of that new color scheme, I think they should have used more than 1 shade of brown for this. Also a bummer that they still appear to use the same pads which were pretty uncomfortable after a while on the D7200. At least the headband seems a little updated, but I doubt it will be any better in terms of comfort / hotspot than D7200. I'm curious what kind of sound are they going for... if pads are going to be the same and wood/dampening is most likely going to be the same too. The only real change I see happening is the pads are not going to be perforated from the inside like on the D7200 but we'll see. I'll definitely be trying a pair out when it's available.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #1,670 of 3,156
Apr 9, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #1,671 of 3,156
Also 50mm driver. And more padding on the inside headband? Not sure the pads are the same, they actually look thinner to me. Also 300cm cable again? I find that annoyingly long.

Most of all I am curious how it’s tuned, did they go for a different sound? Or the same but less refined.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,672 of 3,156
Do these leak as much sound as the D7000?
I have a Sony ZX300: Audio Output:
  • Balanced Audio Jack – Diameter 4.4mm:
    • Power Output: 2 x 200mW,
Would this be enough to drive the D7200 or do they require a decent desktop amp to sound satisfying because of those big drivers?.
Is anyone else using these with a portable dap?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #1,673 of 3,156
Do these leak as much sound as the D7000?
I have a Sony ZX300 Audio Output:
  • Balanced Audio Jack – Diameter 4.4mm:
    • Power Output: 2 x 200mW,
Would this be enough to drive the D7200 or do they require a decent desktop amp to sound satisfying because of those big drivers?.
Is anyone else using these with a portable dap?
No they don't leak as much as old Denon models, but it's still audible if you crank them up. I actually used the D7200 in open-office setup for quite a longer time, no complaints from coworkers in terms of sound leakage so I think they passed the test for that. However don't confuse this with isolation. D7200 still doesn't isolate you well from the outside noise (for a closed-back design).

As for the DAP, in my opinion it's gonna be more than enough to drive these to a satisfying volume, they are easy to power and not too picky for sources. For reference my NFB11.28 (3500mW@25Ω) can power these to ear-shattering levels in its "high-gain" mode and my XDP300R unbalanced (~75-80mW) will not blow your ears out but will provide a loud listening experience at max volume (highest gain), I usually turn it down a little bit (from 100% to like 88%). Percieved loudness also depends on how clogged your ears are with earwax :dt880smile:

Hope that helped

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #1,674 of 3,156
Based on dimensions and my experience with the D7200, I would recommend the ZMF universal pads (lambskin, perforated if you like) over the other choices there: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/zmf-universe-pads.

The best pads I have on the D7200 (out of a good dozen) are the Stax 009 pads with carbon foam filling (or modified stock filling). The latter (Stax 009 pads with their internal filling modified) are the best universal pads I have encountered, and will outlast most commercial pads currently on the market. Price is high, getting them takes time. I'd give a chance to the ZMF universe pads (if I didn't have the Eikon pads). If anyone wants to get Eikon lambskin pads for their ZMF Universe [perforated or not] lambskin pads, send me a PM :).

I just did a comparison of stock pads to ZMF Universe pads (originally ordered for HE-560), and I still like the stock pads better on 7200. With Universe pads you feel more bass, but it kind of muddy and woolly to me and it creeps into low mids area which I don't like. Universe pads seem to be a better fit than Ori pads on 7200, but they still change the sound signature bit too much for my taste.

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #1,675 of 3,156
No they don't leak as much as old Denon models, but it's still audible if you crank them up. I actually used the D7200 in open-office setup for quite a longer time, no complaints from coworkers in terms of sound leakage so I think they passed the test for that. However don't confuse this with isolation. D7200 still doesn't isolate you well from the outside noise (for a closed-back design).

As for the DAP, in my opinion it's gonna be more than enough to drive these to a satisfying volume, they are easy to power and not too picky for sources. For reference my NFB11.28 (3500mW@25Ω) can power these to ear-shattering levels in its "high-gain" mode and my XDP300R unbalanced (~75-80mW) will not blow your ears out but will provide a loud listening experience at max volume (highest gain), I usually turn it down a little bit (from 100% to like 88%). Percieved loudness also depends on how clogged your ears are with earwax :dt880smile:

Hope that helped
Thank you for your quick reply.
I bought my D7000 years ago in Japan, secondhand - mint condition. In recent years my listening habits have changed and even at home I'm always moving around so I use a simple portable setup and don't listen to them at all. I recently upgraded to the Sony ZX300 with a higher (balanced) output than my previous ones and was wondering if I sold my D7000 and got the D7200, for the meantime I could get myself a balanced cable and enjoy them balanced out of my ZX300.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,676 of 3,156
Has anyone gotten a pair of D7200s with yokes that have a scratchy feeling when the cups are rotated? I was listening to a display pair of D7200s as a reference at a store and noticed that the cups swivelled very smoothly and evenly on both sides. Three of the new pairs I received (with the red awards sticker on the box) have a super scratchy hinge that appears to make a horrible sound when the headphones are stretched and the cups are rotated.

In fact, my first pair had such a nasty hinge that the cup literally fell off after a few gentle twists. I posted this picture on r/headphones a while ago, but I would love your opinions on the matter!
qF0wKkO.jpg

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,678 of 3,156
I've had 4 pairs in my hands, two of them are to stay (there is a story behind this but irrelevant now) and there was no scratching or anything like this on any of them. 3 were brand new straight from the box, one was demo/loaner unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back