Denon AH-7200
Mar 2, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #1,636 of 3,155
Ya I had one D7000, two D7100 and two T5p mk2, I only kept one D7000 and D7100, gave away both to my relatives.
I am curious about D7200 haha :)
D7200 are definitely Denon's best headphone yet, plus the guy doesn't even provide any argument as to why the D7200 are terrible. It's either some issue with his setup or his hearing, but D7200 are for sure flatter than D7100.
Just give them a try and judge for yourself, that's the best approach I think. I agree with Zolkis about pads and burn-in but I'd say their biggest weakness is the headband, it's simply a hit or miss with people and might create too much of a pressure at the center of your head. The pads are "okay" but some aftermarket options can really maximize the D7200's potential. Anyway just look at the measurements and you can see how messy the D7100 is and how fast the treble rolls off, not to mention all these giant dips and spikes: https://i.imgur.com/LAyTw3u.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,638 of 3,155
After owning D7200 for an entire year, I have the same opinion as folks mentioned above. The headband design is certainly flawed along with acceptable earpads.
I haven't heard D7000, but D7100 is no way flatter than D7200 to my ears.
Swapping pads might give you a better result but not a necessity.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,639 of 3,155
What AMPs are you guys using with d7200?

I will buy another amp just to discern what flaws should i blame on which component.

I have ordered THX massdrop amp but it will arrive in October lol so i will need something else faster...

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #1,640 of 3,155
BTW how is the sound stage on your D's? Mine is minute but I am pretty sure it is the amp in this case?

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,642 of 3,155
NFB11.28 for me, I wouldnt call the stage on D7200 big but it's definitely got amazing imaging that makes up for it, tho I found that using perforated Ori pads makes the soundstage incredibly large while maintaining that great imaging, rivaling many open headphones that I tried, which is kinda nuts for a closed back. :o2smile:

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #1,643 of 3,155
What AMPs are you guys using with d7200?

I will buy another amp just to discern what flaws should i blame on which component.

I have ordered THX massdrop amp but it will arrive in October lol so i will need something else faster...
I like the D7200’s with the Mojo but I love it with the iFi iDSD BL. The 3D+ feature opens up the soundstage quite a bit.

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,644 of 3,155
IME different ear pads make much more difference in sound stage than amps.
As for amps, nearly any amp will do, even smartphones. Volume level (sensitivity) is less than the TH900, but it's easier to drive. Of course, it does scale with good amplification.
I use it occasionally with a Sony ZX2 DAP which drives it quite well (listening at 50-60% volume level), and otherwise with a powerful/oversized LD-MOS amp (DIY).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #1,645 of 3,155
While I am somewhere around thread's page 55, I've found some time to solder XLR balanced cable with 3.5 mm jacks for my D7200.
Yes, I know that some of you said there's no point, but since I've already had all the parts.. why not.

Getting to the point: 2m German made Sommer Onyx OFC 24AWG cable (0.22mm^2 for each wire), terminated with Neutrik 4 pin XLR plug (NC4MXX) and two Hermann (whatever that is) gold plated thin jacks with shiny silver-gray casings. Soldered with Cardas AG (silver). Source: Foobar with FLAC's and Aune X7S + Gustard X20Pro.

This puppy made D7200 even better than they already were: I have more microdetail (plankton :)), better dynamics, treble extension, slightly better sounstage and separation. There is also a quality change to the bass: it is even better controlled, rumbling and deep - only when necessary.

So far - only positives.

I am really surprised by this, the change is more substantial than what I've heard when moving my HD6XX to balanced.

Since Onyx is "only" 24AWG OFC, I already miss my PCOCC 5N, silver coated piece for Sennheisers that I've sold last week :frowning2:

I've made this cable mostly out of curiosity (20 minutes job), as I was going to sell X7S anyway, but it seems now that it'll stay with me a bit longer.

Fun fact: I was wondering if I should sell HD6XX or AD900X, but after getting Denons I've decided to sell both of them and get one more D7200 pair.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,646 of 3,155
Another fun fact: my new cable, with self made XLR4 to 6.3 jack adaptor is significantly better than stock single ended cable.
So the difference that I've heard yesterday comes not only from balanced per se, but also better cable quality.

Well, Onyx really is thicker than stock...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,647 of 3,155
Yeah, the headband is a bitch. That is the third caveat. I have a spare TH900 headband and planned to make the transplant. For the moment I use a wraparound solution.
What's wrong with the headband?

Mar 4, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,649 of 3,155
Thank you guys for info about head amps you are using with D7200.
I bought ORI pads in the meantime. Those are quite dear for what they are. Lets hope they make adequate difference.

Is it easy to replace OE pads?

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #1,650 of 3,155
What's wrong with the headband?

My particular problem with the D7200 headband is pressure point on the top of my head that gets painful over time so that I need to [re]move the headphone. Out of similar headphones, the Fostex headband don't cause that. A wraparound helps, but it's not optimal solution. Other than that, the D7200 is a relatively light headphone and this shouldn't be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back