Denon AH-7200
Feb 26, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #571 of 3,155
Fair point re: biocellulose. However, I'd argue microdetail doesn't really have anything to do with tuning and is all to do with technical capabilities of the driver. Also "better" is so subjective, the tuning is different.

Interesting to note you think that the tuning of the 7200 is linear. I need something flat and reference to go alongside my NightHawk. Do you have any more comparisons of the 7200 vs other popular cans to help gauge the sound signature? Cheers!

If you can be more specific and if I'm familiar with the headphone you mention, I'd be more than happy to compare.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #573 of 3,155
IF you get a proper seal, sound leakage is there but not very distracting. Just tested it at listening level.

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #574 of 3,155
There's no way the bass distorts on these. The bass on these is accurate and impactful, especially when called upon. I wasn't a fan of the Oppo PM3's because I found them dull and the treble too rolled off. But the bass on them was very good. The bass on the 7200 is even better. It sounds like Planar bass to me. I think that has to be a quality of biocellulose drivers and then the free-edge diaphragm takes it up an extra notch. It's not bloated or exaggerated, but it's very tight and high quality. These cans have a very low distortion rating. I love everything about these but if I was forced to pick one favorite attribute, it would have to be the bass. To my ears, it's absolutely perfect.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #575 of 3,155
So I had the crazy long cable shortened to 5 feet and reterminated to a 3.5 trs. I also bought a Beyerdynamic audiophile cable as a back up. I know someone posted about this earlier and there were concerns as to whether or not it would fit the Denon's. Well I can assure you all that it fits perfectly and works brilliantly. This cable is also 7N OFC quality. Here is a link for anyone who might be interested in a more portable cable with no loss of quality.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #576 of 3,155
Nice, if it indeed works perfectly then thanks for testing it out for all of us.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #578 of 3,155
So I had the crazy long cable shortened to 5 feet and reterminated to a 3.5 trs. I also bought a Beyerdynamic audiophile cable as a back up. I know someone posted about this earlier and there were concerns as to whether or not it would fit the Denon's. Well I can assure you all that it fits perfectly and works brilliantly. This cable is also 7N OFC quality. Here is a link for anyone who might be interested in a more portable cable with no loss of quality.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html

Thanks for sharing your findings!

I've been after a shorter cable myself and was about to order one from Forza so the timing of this is good. Didn't want to spend a lot of money as I'm buying purely for ergonomic reasons rather than looking for audible gains so have decide to give this one a go. Can always sell it on if it doesn't work out.

Should receive it tomorrow from Amazon. I'll likely connect both cables to the Mojo and run one channel from each into the D7200 to see if I can detect any audible differences between the two. Not really expecting there to be as I'm sure they're both well made.

Edit: decided to cancel the order and might try the Meze cable that Satir linked to instead. Will keep the Beyer in mind though.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #579 of 3,155
Thanks for sharing your findings!

I've been after a shorter cable myself and was about to order one from Forza so the timing of this is good. Didn't want to spend a lot of money as I'm buying purely for ergonomic reasons rather than looking for audible gains so have decide to give this one a go. Can always sell it on if it doesn't work out.

Should receive it tomorrow. I'll likely connect both cables to the Mojo and run one channel from each into the D7200 to see if I can detect any audible differences between the two. Not really expecting there to be as I'm sure they're both well made.

Glad I could help! It's a great cable. I can't discern any difference in sound quality between the two. I'm interested in seeing if you can. Let us know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back