Denon AH-7200
Feb 25, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #557 of 3,166
  If anyone is trying to decide on the D7200, think about how much the D7000 with less sub-bass rumble, mid-bass bleed, more midrange presence and treble control is worth to you. 

Quite a shame they blew it on the fit and comfort this time around when they finally got the sound (IMO) right.

I was also surprised that the fit's not really that good at all too. My complaints all lie with the headband though rather than the pads. The D2000 was by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn followed by the HD598, HD650, and the Audio Technica headphones with the "wing" headband thing.

Unstraightening my hair and somehow managing to make the earpads take up more of the weight of the headphones helped a bit though. Before I managed to get to find a fit that worked, I actually had a painful spot on the top of my head for a few days before I finally found a fit that feels fine. The fit is no longer a deal breaker to me.

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #559 of 3,166
I joined this forum just to talk about these headphones. They're the best closed back I've ever heard. They're built like a tank. They have a huge soundstage, they're very comfortable, and the sound signature is just perfectly balanced. I would call these flat, reference level. The bass is tight and goes very deep, the mids are flat and present, and the treble is airy and sparkly without being too hot and sibilant. They're simply amazing! Now obviously if you're looking for a colored headphone or V-shaped then these aren't for you. But if you want a perfectly tuned reference level, then you need to check these out.

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #560 of 3,166
As a former owner of the Nighthawks, there is no way they resolve better than these Denon's. Not even close. The Nighthawks have a sucked out midrange, rolled off treble, and accentuated bass. How in the world can a tuning like that reveal subtle sounds and nuance? They can't. The 7200's blow them away in every department other than comfort. The Nighthawks might be the most comfortable headphones on the planet. And yes, I've tried them with all of the different pads and it doesn't matter. The alternate pads can mitigate some of the tuning problems, but that's it. At the end of the day, the 7200's are in a different league.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #562 of 3,166
how is the sound leak on these? Are they like the fostex? If I change out the pads to brainwavz pads will it stop leaking?

They do leak sound at moderately high volume. These aren't the best for isolation but they're definitely better than open backs. On the plus side, that has to be part of the reason the soundstage is so expansive.
I've only used them with the stock pads so I have no idea if the brainwavs isolate better.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #565 of 3,166
theres a headfi seller selling these for 660 on the used headphones thread. It on page 4 I think...

I don't know where you're located, but when they launch in America, they'll retail for $999. So $660 is a great price compared to that. But they launched in parts of Europe in the $550 dollar range for a limited time. I don't know if that will happen again or not. I got mine imported from Great Britain via Audio Sanctuary, and they're worth every single penny. But you have to know what you like and what you want. These are tuned mostly flat with a reference quality sound so all frequencies are balanced. If you're looking for a v shaped signature or elevated bass, you won't like these. But if you want to hear things the way they were mastered to sound, and hear every little detail with great separation, then quit delaying and buy these immediately!

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #568 of 3,166
These may not have the treble peaks that you like, if you're an AKG fan. The treble is very detailed but not hot or exaggerated.

I'm actually fine without any treble peaks, the hd800 and q701 have been some of my favorites because of their huge soundstage, comfort, and fast airy sound. Not many huge soundstage headphones with cut down treble out there. Very rarely have I been disappointed in a headphone for the lack of treble, w5000 is the only exception because of the giant random dips that make vocals have an echo rather than the lack of detail, the highest frequency that really matters to me is the upper mids for electric guitar 

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #569 of 3,166
These 7200's also use biocellulose drivers. And they're tuned way better than the Nighthawks.

Fair point re: biocellulose. However, I'd argue microdetail doesn't really have anything to do with tuning and is all to do with technical capabilities of the driver. Also "better" is so subjective, the tuning is different.

Interesting to note you think that the tuning of the 7200 is linear. I need something flat and reference to go alongside my NightHawk. Do you have any more comparisons of the 7200 vs other popular cans to help gauge the sound signature? Cheers!

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #570 of 3,166
Back again to another question if some owner of these and the D7000 in the past - The D7000 which i own are not open back but they do 'leak' lots sound, are the D7200 better in this case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back