Denon AH-7200
Feb 22, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #526 of 3,156
Having listened to the NightHawks with the standard and new cable quite a bit (as they belong to my wife) I have to say the Denon 7200's are are a step way above in their neutral mids and highs with an amazingly clean bass with great extension. Horses for courses I suppose as long as we enjoy our music........ (puts on his LCD-X's)

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #527 of 3,156
  Having listened to the NightHawks with the standard and new cable quite a bit (as they belong to my wife) I have to say the Denon 7200's are are a step way above in their neutral mids and highs with an amazingly clean bass with great extension. Horses for courses I suppose as long as we enjoy our music........ (puts on his LCD-X's)

+1.

I heard the Nighthawk a while back through a $2K Ayre headphone amp. Seriously unimpressed. I think even the Denon D600 wipes the floor with it for less money if one is looking toward neutrality. If one is not, then it's all what flavor you prefer, I guess.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #528 of 3,156
Hey. just got to demo the Denon AH-D7200 today. They really are incredible.

They are so lush sounding. Everything is smooth yet very precise. I would say they have just as much detail as the Focal Elear. Perhaps a tiny bit less than the LCD-X but then there is a significant price difference between the two.

The bass is precise, deeply extended and really addictive. The mids are smooth, and the treble was a little harsh but certainly smoother than other headphones. They have a very fun sound signature. The cable is really nice too :)

Oh yes, and the soundstage is larger than some open back headphones such as the Elear and the LCD-X. They really do not feel like a closed (or semi-closed) pair of headphones. I did not experience that "cupped hands" feeling in any way when listening to music. They make for a really good end-game headphone.

For £599 they really are a bargain, especially when compared to the Audeze EL-8 (don't get me wrong, the EL-8's are good, but sound significantly more flat than the Denon AH-D7200). I suggest you buy one sooner rather than later because I fear they may increase in price over time.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #529 of 3,156
The Nighthawk comparison has to be a joke. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #530 of 3,156
[/quote
Horses for courses lol. Second time I've heard that in two days and I've never really heard anyone say it. Guessing you read the bob cats review of the LCD-4 and utopia

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #532 of 3,156
Feb 22, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #533 of 3,156
i have both and i can confirm its a joke :)

I actually think the comparison fine because everyone has different taste of sound signature. There is not an absolute winner.
Now subjectively speaking, I think D7200 is a technically better headphones. Nighthawk, Night owl/ carbon all sounded very dark and perhaps "too polite" for me. They are laid back headphones that lacks treble presence, which can be good or bad depending on listener's preference.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #534 of 3,156
I actually think the comparison fine because everyone has different taste of sound signature. There is not an absolute winner.
Now subjectively speaking, I think D7200 is a technically better headphones. Nighthawk, Night owl/ carbon all sounded very dark and perhaps "too polite" for me. They are laid back headphones that lacks treble presence, which can be good or bad depending on listener's preference.

being drak is not the only down point against the NH ,,
Sony Z1R is also dark headphone but the comparison with Denon  is applicable
Nighthawk lack the scale and presence ,  they dont have technical quality to give expensive sound,
the only thing i keep them for is that they sound good from my mobile . and they look unusual ..

i would compare the 7200 to big boys like TH900, Z1R , k812 , LCD-X , etc....

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #535 of 3,156
The NH resolves better than the D7200. The D7200 to me sounds mid ranged to me, but has issues that doesn't make them enjoyable to me. The Nighthawk puls micro details out of recordings that the D7200 can't. I have also owned the TH900 and LCD-X. The LCD-X doesn't resolve very well, especially considering it's price. 

I've got both the NH and D7200 in front of me now and the NH is clearly a more resolving, refined and technically superior headphone .

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #536 of 3,156
  The NH resolves better than the D7200. The D7200 to me sounds mid ranged to me, but has issues that doesn't make them enjoyable to me. The Nighthawk puls micro details out of recordings that the D7200 can't. I have also owned the TH900 and LCD-X. The LCD-X doesn't resolve very well, especially considering it's price. 

I've got both the NH and D7200 in front of me now and the NH is clearly a more resolving, refined and technically superior headphone .

what amp you are using for both ?

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #538 of 3,156
Running tone sweeps my NH Carbon was strong at 10hz while the D7200 started to become strong at 30hz so it doesn't go lower, at least it doesn't go lower than my NH. Listening to 20hz violation the D7200 didn't have the same impact and rumble as my NH Carbons. I've had a few sets of NH's and the NO and all had the same behaviour at 10hz. The NH even rises in the sub bass after 20hz which isn't neutral but it's a bassy headphone so I don't complain.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #539 of 3,156
Running tone sweeps my NH Carbon was strong at 10hz while the D7200 started to become strong at 30hz so it doesn't go lower, at least it doesn't go lower than my NH. Listening to 20hz violation the D7200 didn't have the same impact and rumble as my NH Carbons. I've had a few sets of NH's and the NO and all had the same behaviour at 10hz. The NH even rises in the sub bass after 20hz which isn't neutral but it's a bassy headphone so I don't complain.

Not everyone can hear below 20Hz. That rumble sounds interesting. Is it like physical vibration?

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #540 of 3,156

Are you saying that the NH outresolves the LCD-X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back