Denon AH-7200
Feb 27, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #588 of 3,156
Hi all,
Sold my AH-D7000 due to being a bit too old but right now following the review here (and around) i'm not sure anymore if to upgrade or look for another modded D7000 in a good condition.

I've asked and got the answer they are not sealed and leak a bit of sound, how are they on the go? for example in the office or train of bicycle? will you take them out or just sit at home / office with them?

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #589 of 3,156
Hi all,
Sold my AH-D7000 due to being a bit too old but right now following the review here (and around) i'm not sure anymore if to upgrade or look for another modded D7000 in a good condition.

I've asked and got the answer they are not sealed and leak a bit of sound, how are they on the go? for example in the office or train of bicycle? will you take them out or just sit at home / office with them?

I feel they are roughly on a par with my old AH-D2000 and TH-X00 in terms of how much sound they leaking in or out. Imagine your AH-D7000 would be roughly on a par.

For me this is very much a headphone for home use but could see me using it in a quiet office environment too, although probably not my first choice. I find they leak more noise in than they do out so I think in a busier office or on a train my only option to block out external noise would be to crank the volume up far higher than I'd normally find comfortable. And although they aren't normally too bad in terms of how much sound they leak out I suspect that at higher volume those around you would perhaps find the leakage quite intrusive.

I wouldn't even consider them for cycling as to me they are just too big and cumbersome (ears & top of the head might get quite sweaty too) although they would at least offer a degree of awareness of what was going on around me.

That's just my personal opinion though and if you found the AH-D7000 worked okay in those situations you might find the AH-D7200 acceptable too. You'd likely want a shorter cable though.

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #591 of 3,156
I'd also be interested in a b&w p9 comparison.

The P9 has a prominent mid bass hump that bleeds into the other frequencies and it has a smaller soundstage than the Denon's. The mids and highs are good on both, and they're both built very well but the P9's are much heavier on the head. The P9's isolate a little better. So if you're looking for elevated bass then the P9's are a better choice. If you value balance and a more accurate representation of the music then the Denon's take the cake. To me, they are both comfortable, but I don't have a huge head.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #593 of 3,156
I have doubts in deciding for the 7200 or the Fostex TH 900 MK2.
Opinions?

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #595 of 3,156
Opinions?

A lot of people complained about the harshness treble on TH-900 so be aware of that. If you are planning to do some intensive EQ then that shouldn't be a problem. Both are technically exceptional.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #596 of 3,156
@endgame
 could You please compare sound signature of D7200 over NightHawk? Bass/Mid/Treble? Thanks.

Sure. The Nighthawks have a more prominent bass and it is high quality, but it can bleed just a little into the higher frequencies on some songs. I didn't like the mids at all on the Nighthawks. They're just too recessed/hollow/sucked out sounding on some songs. I also didn't like the treble because it sounded rolled off, but it's possible the treble is fine and that it just sounded like that due to the wonky mids. When it comes to comfort, I don't know if you can do better than the Nighthawks. Their headband suspension system is stellar. At the end of the day, they weren't right for me because I listen to a lot of progressive rock and acoustic and I want to hear all the little details of the music. Also, I found the Nighthawks a little to laid back in their presentation. To my ears, the Denon's sound, not only crisper because of the balance of the frequencies, but also more dynamic. Hope that helps.

I want to add one more thing when it comes to the Nighthawks. They are a very polarizing headphone due to an unconventional tuning. People tend to either love them or hate them. There's not much in the middle, so I wouldn't recommend anyone buying them without auditioning them for yourself.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #597 of 3,156
     900 may be too bright.

https://youtu.be/BR_Ug-1dZVU?t=427

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/survey-foster-443742-variants-subjective-listening-tests-denon-ah-d5000-massdrop-fostex-th

Curiously I have the X00 and changed the pads for the 900, much improved.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #598 of 3,156
Opinions?

TH 900 MK2 is more musical more immersive with well recorded music , picky for the source ,,
7200 could be used for every thing ( movies , gaming , etc...... ) , i think its more balanced over all , but less fun .

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #599 of 3,156

I want to add one more thing when it comes to the Nighthawks. They are a very polarizing headphone due to an unconventional tuning. People tend to either love them or hate them. There's not much in the middle, so I wouldn't recommend anyone buying them without auditioning them for yourself.

I couldn't agree more .. well said ..

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #600 of 3,156
A lot of people complained about the harshness treble on TH-900 so be aware of that. If you are planning to do some intensive EQ then that shouldn't be a problem. Both are technically exceptional.

I think I have figure out the little issue with my TH900 tonight; concerning the treble some speak of and that I myself have experienced. I myself have never found the treble harsh, but i find it can be too spicy (capable), at times. I find the TH to be so very liquid and smooth, so I have a habit of reaching over and bumping it up. Well, tonight my listening was abruptly interrupted, and I paused the track. About half an hour later I returned and hit play, forgetting to turn down the volume, and just about gave myself a freakin' heart attach! You know, when your legs and feet fly straight out and your shoulders instantly climb to the top of your head like your seizing... yeah, you all have done it to :p But it really got me thinking... I do tend to crank my cans, but I'm realizing that I running the TH way hotter than my Denon cans or my LCD2.  The TH just draws you in. Sometime to such a point that it's immense capabilities can actually beat you back out. It's high performance. So I'm thinking MY issue with the treble, is really MY hand, and not the TH completely. So tread carefully, Ogarrio hahah.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back