Denon AH-7200
Mar 24, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #796 of 3,155

I don't own the 7200 personally, but do you see anything wrong with expecting a $999 headphone, to be on the same level as a $2000 headphone? 

I feel like a lot of people that prefer V shaped sound signatures come to these and are disappointed. Denon was clearly going for something different with these. But the fact remains, if you aren't looking for a flat, reference quality sound, you're not going to like these. For me, these are exactly what I was seeking and so I can't heap enough praise on them. To me, they're flat-ish and yet still fun and musical without getting out of control like the th900 and thx00 line.

@endgame,  I totally agree. my 7200 will be here next week, hope they are what they advertised.

How do they compare to your Nighthawk?  That is the only headphone in your profile that I've heard!

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #797 of 3,155
I can't say I find the TH900 out of control at all, I just find it capable. But anyway; even though he never specified any signature preference, aren't you really setting yourself up for disappointment expecting a product at HALF the cost of another, to equate? And isn't the Z1R actually like $2300? I mean you can't really be too surprised and upset if the SS Camaro you just bought isn't like a Corvette... 

You make excellent points.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #798 of 3,155
@endgame,  I totally agree. my 7200 will be here next week, hope they are what they advertised.

How do they compare to your Nighthawk?  That is the only headphone in your profile that I've heard!

I like them more than the Nighthawks for many reasons, but the frequency balance is the main reason. The Nighthawks treble is a little rolled off, the bass is a tad too accentuated, and the mids (here's where it gets weird) sound very distant and hollow BUT only on some recordings. Frankly, the Nighthawks just have a weird tuning that makes them extremely polarizing. The 7200's aren't amazing at any one area, but they're solid and dependable and good all around. I mainly listen to rock, folk, and acoustic tracks but when I do venture into pop, techno, or R&B, I'm blown away by how prominent the bass can sound when called upon. But then when I switch to Pink Floyd or Alison Krauss, it politely steps aside and blends with the music. It's just a phenomenal trait and I love it. Hope that helps!

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #800 of 3,155

I like them more than the Nighthawks for many reasons, but the frequency balance is the main reason. The Nighthawks treble is a little rolled off, the bass is a tad too accentuated, and the mids (here's where it gets weird) sound very distant and hollow BUT only on some recordings. Frankly, the Nighthawks just have a weird tuning that makes them extremely polarizing. The 7200's aren't amazing at any one area, but they're solid and dependable and good all around. I mainly listen to rock, folk, and acoustic tracks but when I do venture into pop, techno, or R&B, I'm blown away by how prominent the bass can sound when called upon. But then when I switch to Pink Floyd or Alison Krauss, it politely steps aside and blends with the music. It's just a phenomenal trait and I love it. Hope that helps!

Alison Krauss is a favorite, but she is difficult for many headphones to get right.  I had the Nighthawk twice....just no love.

I just got the TH900 MK2 this week.  At first I thought I would end up sending it back, then....I did a cable upgrade, plugged it into my Kenzie amp, and today installed ZMF Eickon pads.....lots of love since.  Amazing how the Foster/Fostex headphones respond to pads/cables.  I got a pair of Dekoni pads for TH900 to try on the 900, put them on my modded HE-6 and that is where they stayed.  The new lambskin/memory foam pads are really comfortable and sound splendid.  I plan on rolling pads on the 7200 as well as cables....I'm all set up to listen to them!

Cheers.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #801 of 3,155

Hoping the 7200 sounds like the Ether C/C Flow with a good low end.....someone described them as such in a thread that I read.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #802 of 3,155
Alison Krauss is a favorite, but she is difficult for many headphones to get right.  I had the Nighthawk twice....just no love.

I just got the TH900 MK2 this week.  At first I thought I would end up sending it back, then....I did a cable upgrade, plugged it into my Kenzie amp, and today installed ZMF Eickon pads.....lots of love since.  Amazing how the Foster/Fostex headphones respond to pads/cables.  I got a pair of Dekoni pads for TH900 to try on the 900, put them on my modded HE-6 and that is where they stayed.  The new lambskin/memory foam pads are really comfortable and sound splendid.  I plan on rolling pads on the 7200 as well as cables....I'm all set up to listen to them!

Cheers.

You've got quite the setup and collection! I hope the 7200's don't disappoint you. I doubt they will pack the same bass punch as your 900. I've never been one to mod, so it will be fun to hear how all your tweaks affect the sound.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #804 of 3,155

Hoping the 7200 sounds like the Ether C/C Flow with a good low end.....someone described them as such in a thread that I read.

That someone was the owner of Audio Sanctuary! He not only sells them, but is a big fan as well.

Those bio-cellulose drivers love some power to perform best......with the low impedance I know a lot will be disappointed with them off of portables, but I don't think that will bring out their best...looking forward to my first Denon.  Planar/Estat mfgrs going nutz for profit, I can't keep up with their pricing so my game is changing..

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #805 of 3,155
Those bio-cellulose drivers love some power to perform best......with the low impedance I know a lot will be disappointed with them off of portables, but I don't think that will bring out their best...looking forward to my first Denon.  Planar/Estat mfgrs going nutz for profit, I can't keep up with their pricing so my game is changing..

They are awesome biocellulose drivers, which are self-dampening, but they're even more than that. They have that "free-edge" design which allows them to move more freely (because they're not anchored) so that there is less distortion in the bass frequencies. It makes them almost like a hybrid between a dynamic driver and a planar driver. To me, the bass on these is just perfect. They have that dynamic driver punch but also seem to have that amazing control that most planars tend to have.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #806 of 3,155
I like them more than the Nighthawks for many reasons, but the frequency balance is the main reason. The Nighthawks treble is a little rolled off, the bass is a tad too accentuated, and the mids (here's where it gets weird) sound very distant and hollow BUT only on some recordings. Frankly, the Nighthawks just have a weird tuning that makes them extremely polarizing.

The NightHawk (and NightOwl) is such a frustrating headphone for me.  On the one hand, I love their design, comfort and that they also use 50mm bio-cellulose drivers, but unfortunately they have a huge trough in their FR that's centered at 1kHz that makes them sound really muffled to me (and many others).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

Skyler must think that this is the way an ideally tuned headphone should sound, but I think he needs to get his hearing checked.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #807 of 3,155
The NightHawk (and NightOwl) is such a frustrating headphone for me.  On the one hand, I love their design, comfort and that they also use 50mm bio-cellulose drivers, but unfortunately they have a huge trough in their FR that's centered at 1kHz that makes them sound really muffled to me (and many others).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioQuestNightHawk2015.pdf

Skyler must think that this is the way an ideally tuned headphone should sound, but I think he needs to get his hearing checked.

I couldn't agree with you more. They may be the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. But sound wise, you're spot on.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #809 of 3,155
Either get an adptor like this (and not the ones made of one plug): https://www.hi-stands.eu/nl/grado-labs-cable-adaptor-63mm-to-35mm.html?source=googlebase

Or get yourself an aftermarket cable. Forza makes affordable ones in various lengths, finish and price categories and can make them for the D7200 (email them) and you can choose what plug you want on the amp side as well. http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/category.php?id_category=36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back