Denon AH-7200
Mar 22, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #766 of 3,156
The cup size are average imo Sigh I hate to say it but to get the best comfort you have to buy different ear pads and suspension band for the z1r or d7200. 

That headband is supposed to be real leather, can you confirm?
I will have it tested hopefully this week and I truly hope it is leather, one of just some natural materials that have the characteristics of shaping after you. Like Brooks bike saddles, leather shoes, and headbands.

If it is to hard would recommend getting a box of Mink oil in general, kiwi would be fine, and apply I only on the inside of the band, thin layer.
And use the cans for a while. That always work wonders with any snug leather products.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #767 of 3,156
That headband is supposed to be real leather, can you confirm?
I will have it tested hopefully this week and I truly hope it is leather, one of just some natural materials that have the characteristics of shaping after you. Like Brooks bike saddles, leather shoes, and headbands.

If it is to hard would recommend getting a box of Mink oil in general, kiwi would be fine, and apply I only on the inside of the band, thin layer.
And use the cans for a while. That always work wonders with any snug leather products.

It seems to be leather with poor stitching crossing it. The padding itself isnt enough imo It has more padding than the z1r.

Headphone pain scale rated on head and ear fatigue:

Z1r: 3 hours
Sem-1: 8 hours
D7200: 6 hours
K812: 8 hours
Hd800/s: 8 hours
HE1k /v2: 8 hours
Utopia: 3 hours

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #768 of 3,156
Nice review ,, i agree for the most of it except the sound stage between 900/7200 ,,
from what i hear ,, the TH900 have bigger one ,, more resonant as you said
7200 have more forward sound ,, better mids ,, am i correct ?

Yes, the D7200 mids are more elevated, not only compared to the TH900, but also when compared to reference. Actually now that I checked the available measurements, it appears to have a slightly elevated 1-2 kHz region. That is definitely apparent in listening (especially with female voices).

The sound stage of the [modded] TH900 is far larger that the D7200. There is a big difference. Also the TX00Eb has larger sound stage. It's very evident when you put them on after the D7200. However, as I said, IMHO the D7200 pads are the culprit. I don't think I'd touch the cups, but changing pads should be easy. They are nice pads, but I'd prefer larger inner opening and different than memory foam insert (I prefer carbon foam). The Lawton pads are probably compatible with the D7200, and even in their stock form I am pretty sure they would sound better. This would cost much less than e.g. a cable change, and would produce much bigger difference. IME it would open up the sound stage, and provide better bass, which in turn will also solve the slightly elevated midrange.

But this is only my opinion and YMMV :). I will only know for sure when I will try (and measure) it. It won't happen until I also try the K872, and until I make up my mind to sell my proven TX00Eb to get a promising D7200 :).

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #770 of 3,156

Yes, the D7200 mids are more elevated, not only compared to the TH900, but also when compared to reference. Actually now that I checked the available measurements, it appears to have a slightly elevated 1-2 kHz region. That is definitely apparent in listening (especially with female voices).

The sound stage of the [modded] TH900 is far larger that the D7200. There is a big difference. Also the TX00Eb has larger sound stage. It's very evident when you put them on after the D7200. However, as I said, IMHO the D7200 pads are the culprit. I don't think I'd touch the cups, but changing pads should be easy. They are nice pads, but I'd prefer larger inner opening and different than memory foam insert (I prefer carbon foam). The Lawton pads are probably compatible with the D7200, and even in their stock form I am pretty sure they would sound better. This would cost much less than e.g. a cable change, and would produce much bigger difference. IME it would open up the sound stage, and provide better bass, which in turn will also solve the slightly elevated midrange.

But this is only my opinion and YMMV :). I will only know for sure when I will try (and measure) it. It won't happen until I also try the K872, and until I make up my mind to sell my proven TX00Eb to get a promising D7200 :).

The k872 isn't impressive. It has the same faults as the k812.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #771 of 3,156
Denon writes Sheepskin leather, thats very good. Synthetic leather on the earpads, so dont put any leather oil or whatever on them.

Effects mink oil would give on the headband could be even more snug fit so you might go from say 5-4 on the size adjustment, (after time) alot of padding behind leather usually results in it warping and tearing after a while, like seen on car seats etc, the more movement the faster the wear! After use leather get heated and start expanding and adapting to what it contacts with.

It WILL soak in oil from hair and scalp so I would highly suggest treating it with a natural leather softener like mink oil, brooks profide(smells citrus tho) or furniture treatment since all leather actually need that to last.
Oils from hair and scalp will actually start slowly to dissolve leather, so again I would get some mink oil.

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WCSZfmbFJyQ[/VIDEO]

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #772 of 3,156
Better buy this for long listening; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-600-TH-900-TH-X00-Denon-D2k-D2000-D5k-D5000-D7k-D7000-Head-Cushion-/182470731499?hash=item2a7c1a66eb:g:-RIAAOSwpzdWtCi7

Looking at lawton ear pads and after market cups.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #773 of 3,156
Real leather is good, much better than the protein-leather used e.g. with the TH900 pads, they wear off quickly. It's the pads insert that makes the more difference.
Dekoni pads also use lambskin, and are excellent quality and value. Too bad they have memory foam inside. I have contacted them suggesting they should try carbon foam instead, but no.
Lawton pads are also leather, with a quite OK foam inside, but they still reduce bass IMO. But they have slightly larger inner opening than the Dekoni pads, and they are not circular, all of which is good.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #774 of 3,156
  Better buy this for long listening; http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-600-TH-900-TH-X00-Denon-D2k-D2000-D5k-D5000-D7k-D7000-Head-Cushion-/182470731499?hash=item2a7c1a66eb:g:-RIAAOSwpzdWtCi7

Looking at lawton ear pads and after market cups.

I'd say stay away from these, they are too high, sound too dark - although it might actually work with the D7200.
The stock D7200 pads would be fine, except for the memory foam insert. Are replacement pads available? I'd probably first mod the original ones. Then, the modded Fostex pads would come second. I actually even have a ready made pair.

I forgot to say that the Dekoni pads are the easiest to mod, Fostex the second, and the Lawton are the hardest (involves gluing).

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #778 of 3,156
For cups I tend to prefer lighter woods over heavy ones. You can't make a headphone cup completely inert anyway. Rather, I'd go by how do they sound and measure.
Also, I have negative experience or limited effects with gluing resonance killing materials in the back side of the cups. I have a lot of those from my speaker building time.
What I have found very useful was the effectiveness of polyfill (used in the D7200 and Fostex TH900) to kill midrange ringing.
Even better, use of Twaron Angelhair instead (very light fill), for a more transparent sound and for allowing better bass extension. But the less cups damping is needed, the better. The wood and the form should be the deciding factors.

For one, first I'd try to remove the cups damping from the D7200 and measure if it has negative effects on the CSD. With the TH900 it turned out that 75% of the original polyfill quantity was the optimal. Before I replaced it with Angelhair. But then after about 1.5 years I noticed that even if I completely remove the cups damping, there is no negative effect on the CSD (3 kHz ringing, albeit much less than what the Z1R has for instance). Something has changed with the wood. I live in a very dry and clean indoor climate, if that explains.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #780 of 3,156
Denon writes Sheepskin leather, thats very good. Synthetic leather on the earpads, so dont put any leather oil or whatever on them.

Effects mink oil would give on the headband could be even more snug fit so you might go from say 5-4 on the size adjustment, (after time) alot of padding behind leather usually results in it warping and tearing after a while, like seen on car seats etc, the more movement the faster the wear! After use leather get heated and start expanding and adapting to what it contacts with.

It WILL soak in oil from hair and scalp so I would highly suggest treating it with a natural leather softener like mink oil, brooks profide(smells citrus tho) or furniture treatment since all leather actually need that to last.
Oils from hair and scalp will actually start slowly to dissolve leather, so again I would get some mink oil.

The real leather as stated by manufacturer covers only outer side of the headband while " the inside uses stitched engineered leather for ultimate comfort and durability."
You can refer to "AH-D7200 Specification Sheet" on the Denon's US official site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back