Denon 2000 questions
Dec 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vk93

Head-Fier
Hi, 
so i am considering to buy new headphones, and I have landed on the M50s and this and maybe more if I decide. I like hip hop and rock, so bass is pretty important but it shouldnt overpower the mids or highs as I want that as well. How great would the Denon D2000's be unamped when compared to the M50. I will consider an amp sometime in the future, but as of now with everything compared plus the unamped SQ, is it still better? Also alot of people say these headphones are not portable. Is it because they leak sound easy, or is it easier to hear people when having them on. Also how is the soundstage?

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 14
Like I will never walk in public with any headphone, but lets say I was in a car or on a train or on a plane, would the Denons leak to much music? Also how is radiohead with these headphones?

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeh if I was using these just to sit somewhere w/o an amp or maybe a portable one in the future. Also Id hope they dont leak to much noise. But how much better is the SQ of the Denon D2000s unamped and amped when compared with the M50s. Also other than bass music, how does some alternative music like Radiohead sound on both?

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 14
I have the same question as the OP...

If I'm looking for some balanced headphones to listen to mainly hip hop, indie rock, and electronic music, would the Denon 2000's be a good fit?  Yes bass is important, but I want a full, accurate sound more than anything...

Also (I know this has been asked before because I've been a lurker for awhile) what portable (laptop sized) amps/DAC work good with the Denon 2000... as a novice would the FiiO E7 work fine?

Thanks...

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 14
I have been researching these two headphones as well.

I think I'm going to shoot three birds with one stone, and get a pair of closed, portable and wooden headphones.

The esw9's from audio technica have really caught my attention.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I have the same question as the OP...

If I'm looking for some balanced headphones to listen to mainly hip hop, indie rock, and electronic music, would the Denon 2000's be a good fit?  Yes bass is important, but I want a full, accurate sound more than anything...

Also (I know this has been asked before because I've been a lurker for awhile) what portable (laptop sized) amps/DAC work good with the Denon 2000... as a novice would the FiiO E7 work fine?

Thanks...

I have both, the d2000's and E7 and yes they work well together. Of course there are better amps out there but for pc use the E7 is an absolute bargain. It has a very good dac built inside. It easily drives the D2000's and improves the sound quite a bit over standard headphone out's of pc (can be used for dap's but you will only be able to use the amp- still an improvement over any dap's amp though)  

The D2000's have amazing bass presence that just gets better after "burn in", however they also have a sometimes brutal top end too that is also emphasized. I listen to acoustic music so it's not that fatiguing for me, though it may be a bit much with electronic music. I use my Denons for listening to big orchestral pieces and opera because they really give you the "WOW" factor of being at a concert. I use my 650's for when I want a more natural sound.

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:

I have both, the d2000's and E7 and yes they work well together. Of course there are better amps out there but for pc use the E7 is an absolute bargain. It has a very good dac built inside. It easily drives the D2000's and improves the sound quite a bit over standard headphone out's of pc (can be used for dap's but you will only be able to use the amp- still an improvement over any dap's amp though)  

The D2000's have amazing bass presence that just gets better after "burn in", however they also have a sometimes brutal top end too that is also emphasized. I listen to acoustic music so it's not that fatiguing for me, though it may be a bit much with electronic music. I use my Denons for listening to big orchestral pieces and opera because they really give you the "WOW" factor of being at a concert. I use my 650's for when I want a more natural sound.

Thanks!  Your post was really helpful...

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 14

[size=medium]
I received the D2000's last Christmas, and I can only say praise about them. The bass on the D2000's is incredible, it isn't overly bassy, the bass kicks in when it needs to. The cans themselves are very comfortable, you barely feel they're there. Although the 'clamping' on them isn't brilliant, occasionally they will slip around my head, but it's fine.

The sound leak is surprisingly poor in my opinion, even at lower volumes the D2000's leak quite a bit of sound. Regarding portability; just don't. The cable itself is rather large and the cans themselves are very awkward to carry, they don't fold up and there is no specific case you could use for them. They're also just generally very chunky. I guess using them on the train and such is perfectly acceptable so long as you have a means for transporting the cans and that you don't turn the volume up too high :).

Other than the obvious portability issues, the D2000's are a brilliant set of cans, I haven't yet amped them but I plan on ordering an E7 amp in the coming weeks.
[/size]

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 14
The M50 works very well without an amp.  The D2000 does not.  The Denon is somewhat more refined when amped, and a bit smoother.  The M50 is way more portable and much better without an amp than the D2000.  You can hear subtle differences if you A/B them, but once you've been listening a minute or so it doesn't make any difference.

Feb 25, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 14
I've been using the M50 with E7 at work for about 3 months now. They make a great pair, and to answer a specific question, Radiohead does sound very nice on them...everything from the earlier more raw Radiohead sound to the electronic minimal albums of late. With that said, I plan to upgrade to the D2000 or D5000 as soon as I can because I find them much more comfortable for my head and a I want a bigger soundstage for some of the classical and jazz I listen to.

The M50 is certainly more portable though if you're going to be carrying them around a lot. The Denon doesn't fold down obviously. You would need a bigger case to take them with you like the bag at Headroom.

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 14
I do not know about the other one, but I am current listening with D2000 and I can tell you cannot go wrong with this, not bassy sound but deep and impact, mid is okay, treble is not too bright but sweet and tick tack. The sound overall is very soothing and transparent to music. I am using with Creative X-Fi HD usb, not a very good amp (which D2000 does not really need to pair with) but a decent Amp and I love my Denon. Can't decide! go for Denon d2000 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back