Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 29, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #439 of 1,845
Anyone having experience with after sales buying from Kamen, Denafrips.eu?
Cheap prices for EU standards but no reaction on emails during last 2 weeks 🙄

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #440 of 1,845
The Pontus ii arrived yesterday and it has 24 hours of burn-in to this point. Try as I might not to judge, but I prefer the Ares 2. I just need to be patient and have faith that it will calm down with 200 hours more. Right now it just feels like an onslaught of everything in my face. It's not harsh per say but it is bright and analytical. Definitely not warm and lush like the Ares. I do appreciate the much larger soundstage and holographic nature though.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #441 of 1,845
The Pontus ii arrived yesterday and it has 24 hours of burn-in to this point. Try as I might not to judge, but I prefer the Ares 2. I just need to be patient and have faith that it will calm down with 100 hours more. Right now it just feels like an onslaught of everything in my face.
Give it 10 days at least :D

Aug 3, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #442 of 1,845
So, after all that has been said about filters, NOS vs OS, including the recent bombshell from GoldenSound‘s measurements has anyone changed their setting based on latest reports on the up sampling? I’d like to hear where folks are setting and as important, overall type of music you most listen to. Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #443 of 1,845
The Pontus ii arrived yesterday and it has 24 hours of burn-in to this point. Try as I might not to judge, but I prefer the Ares 2. I just need to be patient and have faith that it will calm down with 200 hours more. Right now it just feels like an onslaught of everything in my face. It's not harsh per say but it is bright and analytical. Definitely not warm and lush like the Ares. I do appreciate the much larger soundstage and holographic nature though.
It takes time, everyone goes through it. 😉

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #444 of 1,845
have patience and you will not repent

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #445 of 1,845
Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase a power cable for my pontus 2, i was wondering if there are any suggestions on what you guys been using , i have narrowed it down to the following so far, but am open to suggestions :

Gotham 85055 ( ease of availability locally and well priced)
Neotech NEP 3001 (4 times the price of Gotham, OHNO copper with some silver strands) 4 Weeks waiting period
SKW OCC power cables ( aliexpress stuff but my friends have been having good feedback about them! )

Thanks for chirping in !

Sep 7, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #446 of 1,845
Hi guys, I'm looking to purchase a power cable for my pontus 2, i was wondering if there are any suggestions on what you guys been using , i have narrowed it down to the following so far, but am open to suggestions :

Neotech NEP 3001 (4 times the price of Gotham, OHNO copper with some silver strands) 4 Weeks waiting period
SKW OCC power cables ( aliexpress stuff but my friends have been having good feedback about them! )

Thanks for chirping in !

Have you played with power cables before? Are there sonic benefits?

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #448 of 1,845
Have you played with power cables before? Are there sonic benefits?
Yes, the benefits from power cords are the same as from other changes that reduce EMI/RFI:

• More presence to voices and instruments which sound more forward and distinct in presentation
  • Richer tonality
  • Less grain to the sound
  • Better resolution due to a lower noise floor (This is audible when comparing a cleaner signal to one that is less clean)
  • Easier to follow bass lines
  • Pace seems faster due to more clarity and better definition to the leading edge of notes.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #449 of 1,845

Thanks for chirping in !
I've tested 4 power cords on the Pontus and chose a Shunyata Venom V14.

Tripp-Lite Heavy Duty: $15
Shunyata Venom V14: $135
Audience F3 Forte: $150
Synergistic Research UEF Blue: $499

The Synergistic Research cord was quietest but seemed to obscure detail. The Shunyata cable was the best at keeping the sound lively and the resolution high. Best value goes to the $15 Tripp-Lite Heavy Duty cord that also has similar sonic characteristics as the Synergistic and Shunyata cords and produces about 85% of the sound quality of the Synergistic cord. The biggest disappointment was the Audience cord that seems to make the Pontus sound a bit smeared in resolution of details.

FWIW, the SR cable worked best on the Ares II as that made the sound smoother on the Ares. The same effect seemed to be more than what was needed to make the Pontus sounds good.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #450 of 1,845
I've tested 4 power cords on the Pontus and choose a Shunyata Venom V14.

Tripp-Lite Heavy Duty: $15
Shunyata Venom V14: $135
Audience F3 Forte: $150
Synergistic Research UEF Blue: $499

The Synergistic Research cord was quietest but seemed to obscure detail. The Shunyata cable was the best at keeping the sound lively and the resolution high. Best value goes to the $15 Tripp-Lite Heavy Duty cord that also has similar sonic characteristics as the Synergistic and Shunyata cords and produces about 85% of the sound quality of the Synergistic cord. The biggest disappointment was the Audience cord that seems to make the Pontus sound a bit smeared in resolution of details.

FWIW, the SR cable worked best on the Ares II as that made the sound smoother on the Ares. The same effect seemed to be more than what was needed to make the Pontus sounds good.
Thank you, would a large gauge cable have benefit on the DAC like it would on an amp ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back