Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #406 of 1,845

WAudio 10 AWG Hi-End HiFi Audio Universal AC Power Cable Power Cord US Plug - 6.6FT (2M), $50 on Amazon.​

Thx for the suggestion
Not getting exactly that one in German Amazon but have ordered similar quality hifi power cable for equivalent 68 USD and will report about perceived changes tomorrow night. If that's bringing SQ forward then I might consider higher price upgrades...
Have to confess that I have tried expensive analogue balanced headphone cables but coming from DAPS I have no experience with optimizing a power chain and what audible effect that has...

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #407 of 1,845
I mean does it bring anything?

Quality power cables can remove grit from background behind instruments and result in smoother more enjoyable sound, and that's particularly audible with digital components. If you can, my advice would be to try one just to have an opinion. The subject of cables in audio is quite polarizing :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #408 of 1,845
Quality power cables can remove grit from background behind instruments and result in smoother more enjoyable sound, and that's particularly audible with digital components. If you can, my advice would be to try one just to have an opinion. The subject of cables in audio is quite polarizing :wink:
Yeah, that last 3 feet between the wall plug and the inlet plug of the unit is critical! Of course I’m kidding but will point out audio gear manufacturers that take “dirty AC” seriously within the power supply does make a big difference in reproducing the music. With less expensive gear, where money is better spent elsewhere because of limited budget constraints, this might sound better/different with better power cables and external filters but the trouble is justifying a $500 power cord on a $200 piece of audio gear is hard to swallow and might not even help?

Best solution, if you can, dedicated lines from your house panel, keeping the line dedicated will help some with cleaner power and the other is listening at late night when most of the population is off the local grid, plus a drink at hand never hurts! 🥃

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #409 of 1,845
+1.

A cheaper equipment don't need such treatment, as sound is congested to the level that cables don't make any difference. Also some say, "all DACs sounds the same". Only starting from Pontus level you can hear a difference.

Jul 15, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #410 of 1,845
For now I have connected both Zen Stream and Pontus to dedicated own power wall plugs and just for fun put in the Elysium - that's a nice match, musical, full bodied without any trace of listening fatigue 😍
Will report how things are evolving also with the new power chord

Attachments

• 2D3F7B56-BBB6-495A-BCCC-9900B7B5D37D.png
    2D3F7B56-BBB6-495A-BCCC-9900B7B5D37D.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • F851CD2B-36D4-4BE0-8467-D2E10A3147AD.jpeg
    F851CD2B-36D4-4BE0-8467-D2E10A3147AD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 16, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #411 of 1,845
Yeah, that last 3 feet between the wall plug and the inlet plug of the unit is critical!

Many would say that magic happens there :wink:

but the trouble is justifying a $500 power cord on a $200 piece of audio gear is hard to swallow and might not even help?

My advice would be to try things for yourself if possible, but act within reason. I wouldn't buy a $500 power cord for a $200 amp, but I would spend $50 on a cable or PSU just to see whether there's any improvement or not. It's a small price to pay to ease my curiosity and possibly get better sound :)

Best solution, if you can, dedicated lines from your house panel, keeping the line dedicated will help some with cleaner power and the other is listening at late night when most of the population is off the local grid, plus a drink at hand never hurts! 🥃

That's one of the best things one can do. A quality breaker, decent cable and duplex outlet won't cost an arm and leg, but will be useful and universal. The odds are that stuff connected to this line will sound better :wink:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 16, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #412 of 1,845
My advice would be to try things for yourself if possible, but act within reason. I wouldn't buy a $500 power cord for a $200 amp, but I would spend $50 on a cable or PSU just to see whether there's any improvement or not. It's a small price to pay to ease my curiosity and possibly get better sound :)
I would spend no more than $20. Rather make a cable myself. :)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #414 of 1,845
Quick update
Still feeling some listening fatigue especially with upper mid centric singers like Adele.
The new 80 bucks power cable is looking awesome but I am not sure I could recognize a difference tbh, will keep it though to calm my bias down 😉 Installing it felt like fighting a boa constrictor...
Have changed to RCA and will now keep Pontus on 24/7 as some suggested before and report back.
Detail and layering are really incredible.
Am just missing some more lush / warm musical qualities letting me relax after a hard working day such as my Shanling M8 DAP is providing which might be a bit extreme in that regards but nevertheless for just relaxing I still prefer the M8 though it's Delta Sigma but featuring 2 desktop grade AKM chips.
Pontus is more into the face especially in that upper mids frequency region and thereby much more engaging.
It is showing details and textures through the frequency band which are hard to recognize with usual DAP setups.

Attachments

• F6DC8085-0CCC-4E43-8B36-FA4235CE4C42.jpeg
    F6DC8085-0CCC-4E43-8B36-FA4235CE4C42.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #415 of 1,845
Quick update
Still feeling some listening fatigue especially with upper mid centric singers like Adele.
The new 80 bucks power cable is looking awesome but I am not sure I could recognize a difference tbh, will keep it though to calm my bias down 😉 Installing it felt like fighting a boa constrictor...
Have changed to RCA and will now keep Pontus on 24/7 as some suggested before and report back.
Detail and layering are really incredible.
Am just missing some more lush / warm musical qualities letting me relax after a hard working day such as my Shanling M8 DAP is providing which might be a bit extreme in that regards but nevertheless for just relaxing I still prefer the M8 though it's Delta Sigma but featuring 2 desktop grade AKM chips.
Pontus is more into the face especially in that upper mids frequency region and thereby much more engaging.
It is showing details and textures through the frequency band which are hard to recognize with usual DAP setups.
They are thIck and have a mind of their own for direction but go with and not against and things work out. Do remember the Pontus and cable need time to cook, plus never turn them off if you can help it. NOS will tame it as much as possible but will defuse some soundstage placement, not necessarily a bad thing as things get bigger and more analog. RCA over BAL will help too. And that’s about it, hope it works for you. For some, sensitivity to digital artifacts are never completely satisfied, like tape hiss or album pops, they just irritate no matter what we do and we learn to live with it. Cheers.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #416 of 1,845
Another interesting effect: crosspost from ifi zen stream thread

Anyone observed some slight noise like small scratches on a record in certain songs running in COAX mode through Tidal Connect?
I am getting these in the song attached starting approximately from song position 0:50 on...and what is strange: not in USB mode...
Can anyone try so I know it's a local problem maybe with my DAC?

Attachments

• 49512E5E-BFC0-4964-BAA5-E0EF56FDD2C9.png
    49512E5E-BFC0-4964-BAA5-E0EF56FDD2C9.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 17, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #417 of 1,845
I talk with Alvin about this Kinki THR-1 problem and he put me in contact with responsible guy for Kinki in Vinshine, Ken

They have offered me to repair the Kinki THR-1 and I only have to pay for shipping lol, the unit is 3 years old and out of warranty, I didn't even know it I bought it here in head-fi

These guys are next level
I wanna update about my problem with the Kinki THR-1 and frying eggs noise in the right channel.... I have managed to fix the problem, it was many welds already old, they were all remade and now it works to perfection, just in case you have this kind of problem with your amp.... I no longer need to send it to China so I'm saving lots of money :D

Update with Pontus II after 1 month:

I finally forgot about the dac, I just play music, everything sounds to perfection, much better than I recall from Ares or Bifrost or D90 or X16.... Pure realism in every song

Now I might give it a try to the Iris as I have been reported many times already about how it increases the SQ even with the Venus II......

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #418 of 1,845
I wanna update about my problem with the Kinki THR-1 and frying eggs noise in the right channel.... I have managed to fix the problem, it was many welds already old, they were all remade and now it works to perfection, just in case you have this kind of problem with your amp.... I no longer need to send it to China so I'm saving lots of money :D

Update with Pontus II after 1 month:

I finally forgot about the dac, I just play music, everything sounds to perfection, much better than I recall from Ares or Bifrost or D90 or X16.... Pure realism in every song

Now I might give it a try to the Iris as I have been reported many times already about how it increases the SQ even with the Venus II......
Doesn’t sound to me like you “forgot about the dac, everything sounds to perfection…” and now looking into an Iris? 😏

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #419 of 1,845
Well, the iris works very well with the PONTUS II with the I2S connection and thePONTUS II XLR output is directly connected to my upgraded Motu Ultralite mk5 from the mk4. The Motu allows the PONTUS II to connect to my tube amps, SS amp, two headphone amps and my active speaker monitor with no signal degradation and magic of the PONTUS is still alive.
20210717_crop.jpg

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #420 of 1,845
Well, the iris works very well with the PONTUS II with the I2S connection and thePONTUS II XLR output is directly connected to my upgraded Motu Ultralite mk5 from the mk4. The Motu allows the PONTUS II to connect to my tube amps, SS amp, two headphone amps and my active speaker monitor with no signal degradation and magic of the PONTUS is still alive.
Thx for this
You are just giving the answer to a question I asked myself just recently how to handle multiple amps on one DAC.
Are you actively using any of the DSP, eq features with the Denafrips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back