Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 4, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #377 of 1,845
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #380 of 1,845
If you have a good PC you might try this for gaming/video/youtube sessions

1625424390248.png

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #383 of 1,845
From Alvin
DENAFRIPS DAC uses adaptive fifo buffer, and reclocking. This technique yields excellent jitter rejection, however, the variable latency is inevitable.
On the USB connection only very small buffer is required and no reclocking. Do you experience delays also on USB?

Jul 5, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #385 of 1,845
Now I have developed an irritating problem with the right channel of the Kinki THR-1 where some frequencies let me hear a noise, like a grainy noise very uncomfortable and upsetting..... I have to power off and power on and it will randomly show up..... I already contacted with Alvin and will look into fixing it up
I talk with Alvin about this Kinki THR-1 problem and he put me in contact with responsible guy for Kinki in Vinshine, Ken

They have offered me to repair the Kinki THR-1 and I only have to pay for shipping lol, the unit is 3 years old and out of warranty, I didn't even know it I bought it here in head-fi

These guys are next level

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #387 of 1,845
THe ASIO buffer size should have no effect because you are not using the ASIO driver when watching youtube, or any video using a web browser. You can see that ASIO is not active. You need to use applications that are ASIO aware.
I noticed that but I also tested it and it does use something related to the buffer size and it does affect the latency and therefore audio/video sync, test it yourself

Jul 6, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #388 of 1,845
are all you guys streaming from PC/Mac or is anyone using a dedicated streaming box?
interested as my yet sent back blue sound node N130 streamer was sounding a tad off to me.

The high end streaming boxes like from NAD are costing a fortune.
Rasperry Pi solutions could be built by oneself but no dedicated audio components with noise/jitter filter available there as far as I know.

New IFI ZEN streamer looked interesting to me at first but though it seems to have some nice noise/jitter filters built in, it's otherwise a tad basic if you want to stream beyond Tidal/Spotify/Quobuz
The Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra is based around a Raspberry Pi, but with power supplies and USB inputs optimized. I'm using one and it sounds quite good to me. I've not yet compared it to more expensive streamers, but did recently listen to a USD $7500 Naim NDX2 as a streamer feeding my Pontus. Just listening casually, I didn't hear anything obviously better about the sound quality from the Naim versus that of the Pro-ject. I'll compare the Pro-ject to more expensive streamers at some point (Innuos, Auralic, Aurender), but it's been a nice sounding and fairly inexpensive way to get into digital streaming.

Some changes I've made to my Pro-ject streamer setup that have improved sound quality.

1. Turned off Wi-Fi & HDMI. Using an Ethernet cable connected to an Ethernet Access Point created with a TP-Link RE230 Wi-Fi Extender
2. Added a Audioquest Jitterbug to the USB output to my Pontus DAC
3. Using a Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable
4. Using a Stordiau Lush USB cable.

Some commentary from the designer of the Pro-ject streamer: ttps://www.avforums.com/threads/why-is-pro-ject-stream-box-ultra-s2-so-expensive-700euro-for-an-r-pi.2175090/

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #389 of 1,845
The Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra is based around a Raspberry Pi, but with power supplies and USB inputs optimized. I'm using one and it sounds quite good to me. I've not yet compared it to more expensive streamers, but did recently listen to a USD $7500 Naim NDX2 as a streamer feeding my Pontus. Just listening casually, I didn't hear anything obviously better about the sound quality from the Naim versus that of the Pro-ject. I'll compare the Pro-ject to more expensive streamers at some point (Innuos, Auralic, Aurender), but it's been a nice sounding and fairly inexpensive way to get into digital streaming.

Some changes I've made to my Pro-ject streamer setup that have improved sound quality.

1. Turned off Wi-Fi & HDMI. Using an Ethernet cable connected to an Ethernet Access Point created with a TP-Link RE230 Wi-Fi Extender
2. Added a Audioquest Jitterbug to the USB output to my Pontus DAC
3. Using a Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable
4. Using a Stordiau Lush USB cable.

Some commentary from the designer of the Pro-ject streamer: ttps://www.avforums.com/threads/why-is-pro-ject-stream-box-ultra-s2-so-expensive-700euro-for-an-r-pi.2175090/
Thx!
Does it support Tidal Connect?
Guess same limitations here as for any PI volumio implementations up to now such as no Amazon Music HD and Apple Music lossless support, right?

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #390 of 1,845
Thx!
Does it support Tidal Connect?
Guess same limitations here as for any PI volumio implementations up to now such as no Amazon Music HD and Apple Music lossless support, right?
It does support Tidal, but I'm not sure if it supports Tidal Connect. It does not support Amazon Music HD or Apple Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back