Denafrips 'Pontus' R2R ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #421 of 1,845
Well, the iris works very well with the PONTUS II with the I2S connection and thePONTUS II XLR output is directly connected to my upgraded Motu Ultralite mk5 from the mk4. The Motu allows the PONTUS II to connect to my tube amps, SS amp, two headphone amps and my active speaker monitor with no signal degradation and magic of the PONTUS is still alive.
Thx for this
You are just giving the answer to a question I asked myself just recently how to handle multiple amps on one DAC.
Are you actively using any of the DSP, eq features with the Denafrips?
Agreed!

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #422 of 1,845
The only time I use the DSP, eq features on the Motu is when I use the mic inputs. I use my DAW applications on my PC when I need to use effects or DSP when creating music. The Motu Ultralite mk4 also has two ESS 9026 pro DAC chips and AKM AK6678 ADC chip. With the Iris I do not see any advantage of having my Topping D90 connected to the Motu. However, I am using the D90 for a special use Bluetooth system. In my opinion, the IRIS and Pontus combination is far better than the D90 in sound.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #423 of 1,845
The Motu also has one great advantage over most R2R DAC 's is low and steady latency which is a requirement in DAW applications work. So I switch to the Motu DAC when using DAW applications. That solves the latency issue and lip sync issues in video.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #424 of 1,845
After playing non-stop / keeping Pontus on during last few days I have to say that the signature has improved noticeably getting more lush and warm and less bright.
I will need to find out if it's related to
- operating temperature as I've read many times now people are not turning the DENAFRIPS DACs off at all (have to confess I am a bit split in nowadays times where energy is becoming more and more scarce)
- one-time-burn-in progressing
- brain-burn-in

Jul 19, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #425 of 1,845
After playing non-stop / keeping Pontus on during last few days I have to say that the signature has improved noticeably getting more lush and warm and less bright.
- operating temperature as I've read many times now people are not turning the DENAFRIPS DACs off at all (have to confess I am a bit split in nowadays times where energy is becoming more and more scarce)
- brain-burn-in
Is that using the rca outputs?

Jul 19, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #426 of 1,845
Jul 19, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #427 of 1,845
- brain-burn-in
I can say I was kind of disappointed first days of Pontus but it really really improved in like 10 days of 24/7 powered on, there was no brain-burn-in in my case. It was really sounding too bright at first.

Now I turn it off in the night and power on 30 min before listening to music, marvelous sound.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #428 of 1,845
- brain-burn-in
All the above I’d think. I believe Alvin told me leaving the unit in [stand by] will use very little energy and will keep the unit in play ready condition. I keep my unit on 24/7, full power, but considering what I wrote above might have little effect on warm up times. ~30mins.

The Pontus, if it’s built to last, will be one of those products that audiophiles will be very happy with. The Ares is over the top performance for dollar value, but the Pontus just gives you that little more full range performance that kills its competitors in its price segment.

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #429 of 1,845
Pontus just gives you that little more full range performance that kills its competitors in its price segment.
I know it is Denafrips appreciation thread, but Pontus do not kill Audio GD R-8 in the same price range, neither in features (not questioned NOS, USB isolator, superb quality active output stage, ACSS, more sound preference options) nor a performance, as it fully takes an advantage of USB asynchronous transfers over a galvanic bi-directional isolator, no reclocking when not needed).

Jul 19, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #433 of 1,845
sajunky and unsolicited audio-gd shilling in a competitor's thread; a timeless classic.
Just correcting completely ridiculous statement. Still Pontus is a good value if you like Denafrips NOS.

NOS? We need an official statement in this matter.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #434 of 1,845
Just correcting completely ridiculous statement. Still Pontus is a good value if you like Denafrips NOS.

NOS? We need an official statement in this matter.
If you like what you hear, an “official statement“ re NOS is kind of less inportant unless you need a reason to dislike something based on an intangible.

Jul 19, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #435 of 1,845
If you like what you hear, an “official statement“ re NOS is kind of less inportant unless you need a reason to dislike something based on an intangible.
This is a vague response and don't address a real NOS issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back