DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 14, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #211 of 1,124
Speaking of USB cable, just wanted to share some of my experience. It did make difference in my system, although sometimes it was hard to tell if the difference was for better or worse :) Interestingly the cost of the cable didn't seem to always correlate with sound quality, e.g. the $15 Monoprice Monolith USB digital audio cable outperformed many more expensive name brand cables like AQ, Supra ...etc in areas such as transparency, 3D soundstage and clarity except for the Wireworld Starlight Platinum 7 USB cable. Also the difference between cables became a bit less obvious when using USB Disruptor (https://usbdisruptor.com/, awkward to install but it works ) .

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #212 of 1,124
Welp, besides the problems I was having with my USB input, my Ares II shut itself off and won't turn back on. After the firmware update it's shut itself off maybe 3x since then, usually taking a few days before it does. Before I would turn it off or unplug it for a minute and it would power back on. I had tried different cables, outlets, power backups, etc.
Now it won't turn back on. I checked the fuse and it's still fine. Not sure if it was related to the firmware update or if it was just dying/glitching to begin with but this sucks since I don't have a backup DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #213 of 1,124
Welp, besides the problems I was having with my USB input, my Ares II shut itself off and won't turn back on. After the firmware update it's shut itself off maybe 3x since then, usually taking a few days before it does. Before I would turn it off or unplug it for a minute and it would power back on. I had tried different cables, outlets, power backups, etc.
Now it won't turn back on. Not sure if it was related to the firmware update or if it was just dying/glitching to begin with but this sucks since I don't have a backup DAC.
That sucks. Sorry to hear. Sounds like auto shutdown due to overheating? I do remember someone mentioned after updating firmware the unit run hotter than before...

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #214 of 1,124
That sucks. Sorry to hear. Sounds like auto shutdown due to overheating? I do remember someone mentioned after updating firmware the unit run hotter than before...
It's possible. Though I did have it in a well ventilated area, plus extra feet that elevated it higher than normal. Honestly not sure. Also not sure if it had something to do with my USB glitching but I used it via coax mostly. I contacted Vinshine, hopefully they can help me out with this. This could honestly be a sign to upgrade to the Pontus II as well, and hopefully I'd have a fixed Ares II as a backup :stuck_out_tongue: Using onboard PC sound again, my ears are bleeding.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #215 of 1,124
I have a usb cable that is split so that the power and the data is handled by a separate usb connection. I do understand that the Ares 2 has a coax and optical connection but I have never used it on this or any other dac. The cable is supposed to prevent noise from the power connection. I have had this cable a long time with good results.
That’s interesting to hear. I recall reading somewhere that the Denafrips DACs require the USB cable to supply some power in order to trigger the internal power supply to the USB module, although this does sound counterintuitive.

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #216 of 1,124
That’s interesting to hear. I recall reading somewhere that the Denafrips DACs require the USB cable to supply some power in order to trigger the internal power supply to the USB module, although this does sound counterintuitive.
This is not the exact cable I have as I have had it for several years and cannot remember where I got it. But, it is the same idea and design as this one:

https://www.speakerboxthai.com/product/707/pangea-audio-premier-xl-twin-lead-usb-cable-ยาว-1-5m

Apr 15, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #219 of 1,124
Old firmware versions now on line to download
I have a Pontus II with the EP4CE6F Korean Chip that I would like to return to the original firmware. I have been to the website and cannot find this info? Can you please provide a link or describe where these original firmwares can be found? I only see USB firmware updates in The Pontus II Download Section of the website. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #222 of 1,124
You have to use the original link and password emailed to you by Vinshine for the firmware upgrade.
Thanks so much!…I will look later this morning…I wonder why Alvin did not notify us, or mention the specific info in that video. Maybe we are ahead of the curve?…or maybe my mind is musical and not logical! 😂

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #224 of 1,124
OK. I have rolled back my ARES II to the original firmware.

My goodness. I have my old DAC back!

I listened to about 13 tracks before rolling it back and made extensive notes of vocal passages and instrument sounds.

I have to admit, some of the things I was hearing, I heard on both versions of the firmware. This is clearly the recording, the inherent "sound" of the DAC, or both.

BUT, as I annotated my notes on the new firmware with my notes on the old firmware, I kept writing "better, warmer". "Voice warmer". "Different; but better". "Yes, better, not as harsh, but vocals still a bit raspy".

Hi-hats and castanets (very short, discrete sounds) that sounded processed (like a low quality MP3 - that "underwater sound") were much more resolved, clearer and didn't suffer this issue. They sounded natural.

I noticed differences in male and female vocals. The old firmware was better.

On the whole, the listening is now much less fatiguing and less distracting. When the intensity of vocal passage increased, I almost winced on the new firmware. Now, it's intense - fine - but I am not wincing.

Have I lost anything? Maybe some of that "holographic" or "3D" sound. But to be honest, that sounded process/manufactured anyway. Unnatural you might say. Fun to listen to. But I'm not missing it.

Also, the clicking/popping when manually skipping between tracks playing on Qobuz thru the WiiM app (WiiM mini) is back again. The new firmware fixed this. This tells me my old firmware is back - which is good to verify. Am I annoyed? Nope. I can live with it.

All in all, I feel I'm ahead with the rollback.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Tracks tested:

John Denver - An Evening With John Denver (Live) - Take Me Home, Country Roads; Rocky Mountain High
Yaya Bay - Pour Up
KD Lang - Hallelujah
Khruangbin - Texas Sun
Frankie Knuckles - Your Love
Hot Sardines - St James Infirmary
Cecile' McLorin - Unquiet Grave
Dominic Fils Amie - Birds
Esther Philips - Whisper to a Scream; That's All Right With Me
George Harrison - My Sweet Lord (50th Anniversary)
Lana Del Ray - The Grants; Did You Know There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #225 of 1,124
Thanks so much!…I will look later this morning…I wonder why Alvin did not notify us, or mention the specific info in that video. Maybe we are ahead of the curve?…or maybe my mind is musical and not logical! 😂
I agree it would have been good to be told that it's available on the old link. That said, I know they're busy pumping out FPGA updates across their product line and dealing with people like me complaining my DAC has lost it's warmth! :) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back