DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 15, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #241 of 1,180
I'm very happy with the previous one, I love this sound, I get perfect sinergy with my system, specially my HPs which are very detailed, resolutive and revealing

Yes, the old one released it's called 1.0 based on the 3.12 firmware

For me the Pontus 2 with old 1.0 (3.12) firmware is amazingly good sounding and engaging with the music, it doesn't feel sharped or shouty anymore. Music with energy feels with energy it doesn't feel forced anymore and of course there's always room for improvement, latest firmware showed that we haven't seen full potential of these DACs yet

Key of the matter is: We can have both worlds/sound whenever we want in just a few seconds by changing firmware back and forth. F amazing Denafrips, f amazing.
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I just traded in my cheap chip DAC for my 🎶 Pontus II 🎶 again. 😀
Restoring Version 1.0 is music to my ears!!!! Thanks for all the updates everyone!!! 🇺🇸👍🏼🇺🇸
P.S. IMHO=> Burn-in for these firmware changes is myth. There is none. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #242 of 1,180
ok, the old firmware has spatial advantages as well, such as the depth already mentioned... the "Denafrips firmware question" has just gained the status of a pre-critical metaphysical question, such as the questions for the existence of God, for the beginning of the world or for the immortality of the soul... it is an undecidable question.

Apr 15, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #244 of 1,180
I was going to wait for the new, updated version but I decided into install the old firmware on my Pontus II today. Everything seemed to go as expected. The sonic difference is immediately apparent. It comes down to personal preference and system synergy but to me the older version is smoother with better balance and a more Denafrips-like sound. I did like the extra detail of the new firmware in some instances but the old sound is more appealing to me personally. I typically listen in NOS mode.

That said I’m still curious about the new update that they are working on so I’ll try that as well. Maybe that’ll turn out to be the best of both worlds. And as others have mentioned it’d be nice to be able to get the technical improvements while maintaining the preferred sound.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #245 of 1,180
That said I’m still curious about the new update that they are working on so I’ll try that as well. Maybe that’ll turn out to be the best of both worlds. And as others have mentioned it’d be nice to be able to get the technical improvements while maintaining the preferred sound.
Exactly. I really hope the next update sits somewhere in the middle. I think I'm going to install the original firmware later today to remember, to go back in time, and re-live my younger years...two weeks ago.

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #246 of 1,180
Has anyone with a Pontus II 12th with the EP4CE6F chip been provided the Pontus II FPGA firmware version 1.0?

I have a Pontus II 12th and would describe the sound similarly to those critical of the 12th FPGA firmware update - I am not happy with it. I am trying to figure out if I would need to sell my Pontus II 12th and buy a used pre-12th Pontus II to access the sound of the FPGA firmware 1.0. I requested the FUT from Vinshine two weeks ago for my Pontus II 12th via the online form and although Vinshine acknowledged receipt of my request, no link to the FUT has been provided to date. Right now I am stuck with the 12th FPGA firmware while reading the very positive posts of those now (re)installing the pre-12th firmware 1.0.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #247 of 1,180
Thank you so much, it says 1.0 but it is the 3.12 (before the latest one), don't get confused anyone
3.12 is the Firmware for the USB chip and the exact same as 3.14 exept USB volume control is added. The FPGA Firmware is correct 1.0 original and 1.6 released March 8th. These are separate Firmware that can be installed independently. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #248 of 1,180
Has anyone with a Pontus II 12th with the EP4CE6F chip been provided the Pontus II FPGA firmware version 1.0?

I have a Pontus II 12th and would describe the sound similarly to those critical of the 12th FPGA firmware update - I am not happy with it. I am trying to figure out if I would need to sell my Pontus II 12th and buy a used pre-12th Pontus II to access the sound of the FPGA firmware 1.0. I requested the FUT from Vinshine two weeks ago for my Pontus II 12th via the online form and although Vinshine acknowledged receipt of my request, no link to the FUT has been provided to date. Right now I am stuck with the 12th FPGA firmware while reading the very positive posts of those now (re)installing the pre-12th firmware 1.0.
I have a Pontus II 12th edition DAC with the EP4CE6F chip, I did the firmware upgrade and like the results. I have just looked at the FUT download link supplied by Vinshine , now there are two firmware links displayed after entering the password, one for the upgraded firmware, the other described as v1.0 original, presumably this is the one you want to roll back. So if you have been given a link and password in the past, you should see both links in the download page whereas before there was just one visible. However it sounds like you never got any FUT link at all, hopefully Vinshine will rectify this for you. Hope this helps

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #249 of 1,180
I have a Pontus II 12th edition DAC with the EP4CE6F chip, I did the firmware upgrade and like the results. I have just looked at the FUT download link supplied by Vinshine , now there are two firmware links displayed after entering the password, one for the upgraded firmware, the other described as v1.0 original, presumably this is the one you want to roll back. So if you have been given a link and password in the past, you should see both links in the download page whereas before there was just one visible. However it sounds like you never got any FUT link at all, hopefully Vinshine will rectify this for you. Hope this helps
Thank you. This answers my question 100%. I purchased my Pontus II 12th directly from Vinshine in February, however they have not provided me with the FUT download link and password despite multiple requests over the last two weeks. I'm glad to know the pre-12th firmware is being provided to Pontus II 12th owners and therefore one would assume there is no v1.0 firmware conflict with the Pontus II 12th hardware. I look forward to trying the v1.0 firmware on my DAC once Vinshine provides the necessary link.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #250 of 1,180

I just checked EP4CE6F and it has 1.0 available as well

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #251 of 1,180
I'm the second owner of my Pontus and I don't know when it was purchased by the original owner. Is there another way to know if my unit was shipped before or after Oct 7th 2020?

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #252 of 1,180
I could not resist and installed the 1.0 FW!
Thanks to all adventurers that great feedback: the old sound is back!
But, as I am still on a weekend journey with my Parasound D/AC1100HD (a vintage wonderful R2R dac based on Burr Brown PCM63P-K chips and HDCD filter) the Pontus II will have to way on the side, watching...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #253 of 1,180
Thank you. This answers my question 100%. I purchased my Pontus II 12th directly from Vinshine in February, however they have not provided me with the FUT download link and password despite multiple requests over the last two weeks. I'm glad to know the pre-12th firmware is being provided to Pontus II 12th owners and therefore one would assume there is no v1.0 firmware conflict with the Pontus II 12th hardware. I look forward to trying the v1.0 firmware on my DAC once Vinshine provides the necessary link.
Just some more info for you as regards dates on the firmware options I see in my FUT link. Under Revision History, we have v1.0 dated Jan 1 2020 and described as original firmware. The revised firmware is v1.3 dated March 8 2023. However the actual link section just underneath says : v1.0 (P6F1.0) dated 18th Nov 2021, v1.3 (P6F1.3) dated 8th March 2023. So there are two different dates given for the original but not so for the upgrade. Now the Pontus II 12th editions got rolled out I think towards the end of last year 2022, so if you install v1.0 in your 12th edition DAC, presumably you are rolling back to the earlier Pontus II.

Apr 15, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #254 of 1,180
Just some more info for you as regards dates on the firmware options I see in my FUT link. Under Revision History, we have v1.0 dated Jan 1 2020 and described as original firmware. The revised firmware is v1.3 dated March 8 2023. However the actual link section just underneath says : v1.0 (P6F1.0) dated 18th Nov 2021, v1.3 (P6F1.3) dated 8th March 2023. So there are two different dates given for the original but not so for the upgrade. Now the Pontus II 12th editions got rolled out I think towards the end of last year 2022, so if you install v1.0 in your 12th edition DAC, presumably you are rolling back to the earlier Pontus II.
Thanks again. And yes, I want to hear the sound of my Pontus II 12th with firmware v1.0 of the pre-12th Pontus II - it is due to the positive reviews of that version of the DAC that lead to my purchase of the Pontus II 12th. The Thesycon driver for my 12th describes the FPGA firmware as P12.1.2. So presumably this is a v1.2 firmware shipped on my DAC which was subsequently updated to the current v1.3. When I requested the FUT two weeks ago, Vinshine responded that my DAC had the 12th FPGA firmware but there was a newer version with "minor improvements" - I would understand this to be v1.3. I requested this newest firmware from Vinshine but did not receive a link or response. I then read the critical reviews of the 12th FPGA firmware and so asked Vinshine if the pre-12th firmware would work on the 12th and, if yes, could they please provide. Again, I did not receive a response. From your post, stating that Vinshine has made the v1.0 firmware available to you as an owner of the 12th via the FUT download link, I would understand that the v1.0 can be safely installed on the 12th. And Vinshine's FUT request form does not differentiate between the pre-12th Pontus II and the Pontus II 12th, further confirmation the v1.0 firmware can be safely installed on my Pontus II 12th. This is what I want to do, but Vinshine has not provided the FUT download link and password to do so, nor is the FUT otherwise available on their website to my knowledge.

My understanding is the Pontus II 12th involved some hardware upgrades in addition to the change in firmware. I have wondered whether the 12th hardware utilizing the v1.0 firmware may be the best combination of hardware/firmware for the Pontus II yet (recognizing "best" is relative to personal taste)? It is at least possible. But I don't see myself being in a position to A/B a pre-12th Pontus II to a Pontus II 12th, both with the v1.0 firmware, any time soon. Right now I would just appreciate access to the Pontus II v1.0 firmware for the EP4CE6F chip.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #255 of 1,180
Thanks again. And yes, I want to hear the sound of my Pontus II 12th with firmware v1.0 of the pre-12th Pontus II - it is due to the positive reviews of that version of the DAC that lead to my purchase of the Pontus II 12th. The Thesycon driver for my 12th describes the FPGA firmware as P12.1.2. So presumably this is a v1.2 firmware shipped on my DAC which was subsequently updated to the current v1.3. When I requested the FUT two weeks ago, Vinshine responded that my DAC had the 12th FPGA firmware but there was a newer version with "minor improvements" - I would understand this to be v1.3. I requested this newest firmware from Vinshine but did not receive a link or response. I then read the critical reviews of the 12th FPGA firmware and so asked Vinshine if the pre-12th firmware would work on the 12th and, if yes, could they please provide. Again, I did not receive a response. From your post, stating that Vinshine has made the v1.0 firmware available to you as an owner of the 12th via the FUT download link, I would understand that the V1.0 can be safely installed on the 12th. And Vinshine's FUT request form does not differentiate between the pre-12th Pontus II and the Pontus II 12th, further confirmation the v1.0 firmware can be safely installed on my Pontus II 12th. This is what I want to do, but Vinshine has not provided the FUT download link and password to do so, nor is the FUT otherwise available on their website to my knowledge.

My understanding is the Pontus II 12th involved some hardware upgrades in addition to the change in firmware. I have wondered whether the 12th hardware utilizing the v1.0 firmware may be the best combination of hardware/firmware for the Pontus II yet (recognizing "best" is relative to personal taste)? It is at least possible. But I don't see myself being in a position to A/B a pre-12th Pontus II to a Pontus II 12th, both with the v1.0 firmware, any time soon. Right now I would just appreciate access to the Pontus II v1.0 firmware for the EP4CE6F chip.
Do you have any issues with high freq. sounding glassy or edgy with some recordings. Do vocals, especially female vocals sound full with body or are they a bit thin? Do some recordings sound thin in the midrange? Do you get listening fatigue?
Of course I have no idea what your system is..which matters. My system is on the warm side. I have DynAudio Contour 20 Speakers which have smooth silk-dome tweeters….and with the new firmware I was getting all of the above. Loading version 1.0 back in this morning, has me grinning 😊 from ear to ear, again. I have lots of detail, but with smoothness…not brittle.. Vocals sound fuller and more natural. I can play a wide range of recordings again. Too much detail (for me) is just too aggressive and less musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back