DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 15, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #227 of 1,180
First impressions after downgrade is that the smooth sound is back, will keep it on playing tones while I do my stuff and come back later for more

So far Denafrips didn't disappoint and I praise them for that
Thanks soooo much for the quick feedback, José. I will reload mine later today and report back! 👍🏼
I thought that Alvin's video was a bit confusing. He should have done part 1 Pontus, Part 2 Venus. 🙂
So…I am wondering if Denefrips will still offer a smoother updated firmware for the Pontus II, now.
I am not clear on that?

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #228 of 1,180
Thanks soooo much for the quick feedback, José. I will reload mine later today and report back! 👍🏼
I thought that Alvin's video was a bit confusing. He should have done part 1 Pontus, Part 2 Venus. 🙂
So…I am wondering if Denefrips will still offer a smoother updated firmware for the Pontus II, now.
I am not clear on that?
I guess so! They said they were working on a newer one fixing "issues" with this latest firmware so I guess it is still being developed

Amazing news for the owners haha

Apr 15, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #230 of 1,180
SO HAPPY that I can get back "my system sound"!!! You sound pleased, as well. Can't wait to install!!!!
Now imagine, (this wet idea was already mentioned) that the Cyclone chip has enough free memory to install 2-3 firmwares at the same time and Denafrips releases a multi-firmware where you can choose which one you want to boot on

:sweat_drops::sweat_drops::sweat_drops:

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #231 of 1,180
Now that they have provided the original firmware, it is not much risk anymore to try their latest updates. Very nice.
I would propose they make an update to fix issues that some users are having without touching the DSP sonic side.
For example the current new firmware states:

v3.3 (March 08, 2023)
-----------------------------------------------------
* Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
* Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
* Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
* Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance
------------------------------------------------------

How about releasing a firmware update including the first 3 fixes and removing the last one:
" Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance"

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #232 of 1,180
I can confirm on my end that the natural, lifelike, smooth, engaging sound and non strident or sibilant voices is back

I tested it with this song that I know very much and was the last one I listened to with the new firmware

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #233 of 1,180
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #234 of 1,180
Now that they have provided the original firmware, it is not much risk anymore to try their latest updates. Very nice.
I would propose they make an update to fix issues that some users are having without touching the DSP sonic side.
For example the current new firmware states:

v3.3 (March 08, 2023)
-----------------------------------------------------
* Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
* Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
* Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
* Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance
------------------------------------------------------
things
How about releasing a firmware update including the first 3 fixes and removing the last one:
That's exactly what I was going to suggest, thank you!! It would be great to have those three fixes, that would probably improve thigs, without messing with the sound signature.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #235 of 1,180
That's esxactly what I was going to suggest, thank you!! It would be great to have those three fixes, that would probably improve thigs, without messing with the sound signature.
In my readings here, I think that Alvin has stated that Denafrips is working on that and there will be a firmware release of that nature shortly. I got that info here, though from people saying that they were corresponding with Alvin. I have no direct confirmation of that.
Now, off to return my Pontus II to its original splendor! 🙂

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #236 of 1,180
after back and forth I stay with the new firmware (3.13), I can stand the slight loss of timbre naturalness and of the renowned smoothness characteristic of Pontus. But the overall clarity achieved and above all the evident increase in spatiality, in the sense of size and in the sense of coherence (I would attribute this achievement to the "Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels"), I can't live without.

Edit: and since it now seems to matter: EP4CE22F here haha

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #237 of 1,180
OK. I have rolled back my ARES II to the original firmware.

My goodness. I have my old DAC back!

I listened to about 13 tracks before rolling it back and made extensive notes of vocal passages and instrument sounds.

I have to admit, some of the things I was hearing, I heard on both versions of the firmware. This is clearly the recording, the inherent "sound" of the DAC, or both.

BUT, as I annotated my notes on the new firmware with my notes on the old firmware, I kept writing "better, warmer". "Voice warmer". "Different; but better". "Yes, better, not as harsh, but vocals still a bit raspy".

Hi-hats and castanets (very short, discrete sounds) that sounded processed (like a low quality MP3 - that "underwater sound") were much more resolved, clearer and didn't suffer this issue. They sounded natural.

I noticed differences in male and female vocals. The old firmware was better.

On the whole, the listening is now much less fatiguing and less distracting. When the intensity of vocal passage increased, I almost winced on the new firmware. Now, it's intense - fine - but I am not wincing.

Have I lost anything? Maybe some of that "holographic" or "3D" sound. But to be honest, that sounded process/manufactured anyway. Unnatural you might say. Fun to listen to. But I'm not missing it.

Also, the clicking/popping when manually skipping between tracks playing on Qobuz thru the WiiM app (WiiM mini) is back again. The new firmware fixed this. This tells me my old firmware is back - which is good to verify. Am I annoyed? Nope. I can live with it.

All in all, I feel I'm ahead with the rollback.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Tracks tested:

John Denver - An Evening With John Denver (Live) - Take Me Home, Country Roads; Rocky Mountain High
Yaya Bay - Pour Up
KD Lang - Hallelujah
Khruangbin - Texas Sun
Frankie Knuckles - Your Love
Hot Sardines - St James Infirmary
Cecile' McLorin - Unquiet Grave
Dominic Fils Amie - Birds
Esther Philips - Whisper to a Scream; That's All Right With Me
George Harrison - My Sweet Lord (50th Anniversary)
Lana Del Ray - The Grants; Did You Know There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd
Funny enough there's no longer pops/clicks with highly sized FLACs on my end, I love the soundstage and the air in orchestral feels very lifelike even if it doesn't have the clarity of the newest firmware, this is my sweet spot and it has been since I got the Pontus 2. NOT moving for now!

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #238 of 1,180
Funny enough there's no longer pops/clicks with highly sized FLACs on my end, I love the soundstage and the air in orchestral feels very lifelike even if it doesn't have the clarity of the newest firmware, this is my sweet spot and it has been since I got the Pontus 2. NOT moving for now!
ok, I'll do more tests... back and forth and back and forth and back... hahaha

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #239 of 1,180
Hola Jose
Did you roll back your Pontus II to the previous software and you are happy, right?
You mention that it us described as 1.0, is this right?
That makes me feel glad (as I am one of many who really desliked the last FW) and I am thinking to do the same (today?) but perhaps I will wait for the upcoming FW version.
My question is: do you feel that your Pontus II is equally satisfying as before? Or the latest FW showed you that perhaps there is something to improve?

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #240 of 1,180
Hola Jose
Did you roll back your Pontus II to the previous software and you are happy, right?
You mention that it us described as 1.0, is this right?
That makes me feel glad (as I am one of many who really desliked the last FW) and I am thinking to do the same (today?) but perhaps I will wait for the upcoming FW version.
My question is: do you feel that your Pontus II is equally satisfying as before? Or the latest FW showed you that perhaps there is something to improve?
I'm very happy with the previous one, I love this sound, I get perfect sinergy with my system, specially my HPs which are very detailed, resolutive and revealing

Yes, the old one released it's called 1.0 based on the 3.12 firmware

1681573449035.png

For me the Pontus 2 with old 1.0 (3.12) firmware is amazingly good sounding and engaging with the music, it doesn't feel sharped or shouty anymore. Music with energy feels with energy it doesn't feel forced anymore and of course there's always room for improvement, latest firmware showed that we haven't seen full potential of these DACs yet

Key of the matter is: We can have both worlds/sound whenever we want in just a few seconds by changing firmware back and forth. F amazing Denafrips, f amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back