DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 12, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #182 of 1,166
Transcription from last night conversation with my wife:

Me: Hey, have you noticed anything with the sound? Do you like what you hear?
She: Now that you mention it, I was going to tell you yesterday while I was ironing that the music was hurting my ears despite being at the same volume as usual, and the day before that too.

My thoughts: f*ck, f*ck, f*ck! She's right.

There is something with the "new sound" that is not ok. It has MUCH more detail, insane amounts of detail indeed, to the point that I'm hearing new nuances in songs I've heard a thousand times and I thought it was not possible to improve in my system with my current hardware.
I can understand where this hassle my wife was mentioning comes from, with the "new sound", at the same volume, there is more energy coming out of the speakers, more air (something that I love). The presentation of the music has changed, in some ways for the better, but threre is this new amount of energy that in my room makes the experience less relaxed, as I've said on previous posts, in some way I feel like it has lost its signature, the thing that made this DAC "special" as most of the owners and reviewers across the globe have experienced and praised.

I'm listening right now some George Michael albums that I know VERY well and I can definitely say that I don't like the new firmware. Intelegibility is just amazing, and instrument separation, but there is a lack of coherence in the music that I really miss. Before there was less clarity and separation but it sounded like music, now it doesn't at all. This sound it's pretty amazing, unreal I would say, but fatiguing at the same time, a pitty. I really wanted to like and enjoy it.

I can see why some people like it better, but my system is very revealing, it hides nothing. There seems to be some kind of LOUDNESS in the new sound that impresses at first but with time makes things worst.

My wife's unbiased, non audiophile opinion helped me and brought me back to earth from the audio nut wonderland where we sometimes loose contact with reality. :slight_smile:

I really hope I can get back the SAME firmware I had before. Fingers crossed. :fingers_crossed:
Pontius or AresII ?

Apr 12, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #183 of 1,166
I bought the ARES2 12th at the same time as the ENYO; after the AB comparison, I returned the 12th and kept the ENYO because I liked the warmer but slightly fuzzier sound of the ENYO.
After the ENYO firmware upgrade, it sounds more like the 12th (which I returned at first), and the original features (the reason I purchased it) are missing some.

Allow me to ask those of you who have upgraded your ENYO firmware, do you feel the same as I do after upgrading?

Translated with DeepL

Apr 13, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #187 of 1,166
This is kind of off-topic but main differences between chips are their resources, EP4CE22 is 2-3 times faster/"better") than EP4CE6 but this doesn't mean anything if they don't get to use their full capacity so I guess the thing that there are so many firmwares is production costs as one is cheaper than the other and maybe Pontus doesn't need that much resources so....

EP4CE22
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...8/cyclone-iv-ep4ce22-fpga/specifications.html

EP4CE6
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/210472/cyclone-iv-ep4ce6-fpga.html
José…so…what you are saying here, is that your chip is BETTER than my chip! 😂👍🏼

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #188 of 1,166
José…so…what you are saying here, is that your chip is BETTER than my chip! 😂👍🏼
No way haha and this could be a new thread where the click/pops might make sense due to the Cyclone's CPU reaching its limit but I don't really wanna mess with Denafrips and I won't!

If the "better" chip wasn't reaching even its 50% capacity and the new one reaches let's say 70% and the cost of this "less good" chip is xx% lower it is a very respectable and common practice in any company

Apr 13, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #189 of 1,166
No way haha and this could be a new thread where the click/pops might make sense due to the Cyclone's CPU reaching its limit but I don't really wanna mess with Denafrips and I won't!

If the "better" chip wasn't reaching even its 50% capacity and the new one reaches let's say 70% and the cost of this "less good" chip is xx% lower it is a very respectable and common practice in any company
Of course…I am having some fun with you 😀….but yes..I was wondering exactly that, when I checked out the specs (I hardly know what I am looking at 🤔), I do not use USB (I²S here), but I was wondering if the people with the less capable chip, using USB were having more of those tech issues than users with the "better" chip?
I have next to no skips, pops, etc… Aside from the inconveniences, this has all been quite interesting, for me.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #190 of 1,166
I just noticed something. Right after I installed the update a while back the Phase button was off which I always had on. Today, it hit me, I wondered if the update sort of put all settings back into a default state so I double checked to see that the OS filter was set to Slow, as Fast sounds too bright to me, and sure enough the Fast filter was on! Now I need to listen some more. That has to be part of why I feel the new update has increased the treble more than I like. You all might want to double check your filter setting.

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #191 of 1,166
I bought the ARES2 12th at the same time as the ENYO; after the AB comparison, I returned the 12th and kept the ENYO because I liked the warmer but slightly fuzzier sound of the ENYO.
After the ENYO firmware upgrade, it sounds more like the 12th (which I returned at first), and the original features (the reason I purchased it) are missing some.

Allow me to ask those of you who have upgraded your ENYO firmware, do you feel the same as I do after upgrading?

Translated with DeepL
I had the same problem with my Enyo after the upgrade. The sound very bright and had to use the Roon PEQ in order to bring back some of the warm and rich characteristics.

With the help of the Vinshine team I rolled back to the original firmware and I’m very satisfied with the sound again.

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #192 of 1,166

Translated with DeepL

Translated with DeepL
I updated the Enyo. I never heard the 12th Anniversary Ares, so I cannot compare the 2.

For a warmer, slightly fuzzier sound as you mention I use OS on, and the Slow Filter on.

Also, right after the update the DAC didn’t sound good to me, but after leaving it and the streamer playing overnight (I had the volume off), the next day the warm sound had returned with much improvement to my ears with everything else.

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #193 of 1,166
I just noticed something. Right after I installed the update a while back the Phase button was off which I always had on. Today, it hit me, I wondered if the update sort of put all settings back into a default state so I double checked to see that the OS filter was set to Slow, as Fast sounds too bright to me, and sure enough the Fast filter was on! Now I need to listen some more. That has to be part of why I feel the new update has increased the treble more than I like. You all might want to double check your filter setting.
Hey Sean…yes…your observation is correct…but if you read up above…we are finding that the NOS mode with the new firmware sounds more analog than OS/Slow. (I don’t profess to speak for everyone).
As an aside, before or after firmware update, I find no sonic difference with Phase on or off.
For me…no matter what the settings, on my system my Pontus is thinner and slightly more sibilant in the treble. Male and female voices have less body. My DAC sounds more chip-based, less R2R. Over 100 hrs. "burn-in" made no change that I could discern. Many are having a similar experience but I am no expert! 🙂

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #194 of 1,166
I had the same problem with my Enyo after the upgrade. The sound very bright and had to use the Roon PEQ in order to bring back some of the warm and rich characteristics.

With the help of the Vinshine team I rolled back to the original firmware and I’m very satisfied with the sound again.
I'm still on the fence.
I also have a Geshelli J2 9026PRO in my hand, I set the synczone in roon, the same music J2 and ENYO synchronized playback, AB comparison. After upgrading the firmware, the ENYO tone is warmer, the sound is more three-dimensional, the high frequencies are more rounded, the sound field is narrower in width and shallower in depth, and the vocals are more forward.
Overall, ENYO is more pleasant to the ears and I decided to give it two more weeks to run in.

Apr 13, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #195 of 1,166
Hey Sean…yes…your observation is correct…but if you read up above…we are finding that the NOS mode with the new firmware sounds more analog than OS/Slow. (I don’t profess to speak for everyone).
As an aside, before or after firmware update, I find no sonic difference with Phase on or off.
For me…no matter what the settings, on my system my Pontus is thinner and slightly more sibilant in the treble. Male and female voices have less body. My DAC sounds more chip-based, less R2R. Over 100 hrs. "burn-in" made no change that I could discern. Many are having a similar experience but I am no expert! 🙂

Oh for sure, the NOS mode will always sound more analog regardless. I just did some listening just now and the treble is much better now. I can't believe I have been listening to Fast filter for a week and a half! Wish there was a button/light for the filters. But yeah, it's still not as rich and analog as it was before the update. I think the bass and upper bass region could be argued as being a bit more correct or neutral but that wasn't the point with the original FPGA which in the Pontus II was a bit more robust or slightly exaggerated and that's part of why I and a lot of people liked it so much. That contributed to more body and weight which seems to be missing now. I love the little more open quality and res but here again even in Slow filter the treble range isn't as rich and smooth as it was before.

Edit - Also, some soundstage depth returned with the Slow filter, thank goodness.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back