DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 11, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #153 of 1,182
Its just firmware, not science rocket.
Besides, after changing the firmware, what could become irreversible? Its just soft. Put yourself in their shoes. They are trying to make a new firmware, something does not go, so they have to suddenly withdraw? They would lose credibility along with the mass of customers. They will correct it because they have to. Besides, there is the newer Pontus 12th. In my opinion, if they gave up now and returned to the original version, they would shoot themselves in the knee
Agree 100% and this is audio where everyone hear in a different way, different amps, different hps, speakers etc... This is bigger than just going back but I support Denafrips and @alvin1118, any help needed will be given

And I still have such a quiet hope that the new firmware can be better than the original one. Think about how great it would be to have warm, analog sound plus a better stage and greater precision. That's what I dream of
What's their paypal haha

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #155 of 1,182
OK Guys…someone just posted this over on Audiogon: 😀

"I shared my desire to revert to the old firmware with Vinshine and here’s what they said:

Our goal is to have the best of both worlds - New firmware with bugs fixed, as well as to preserve the sound quality that DENAFRIPS is known for - ability to reproduce music very much 'analog-like', and improve it further.

We are working with DENAFRIPS on this. We aim to release a new firmware for Pontus II (EP4CE6F) in approximately 7 days to achieve that. "

Thank you, Vinshine!!!

IF this is true, this is the correct solution. There must be a LOT of similar feedback…and they CARE!

This is interesting. My Pontus II chip is EP4CE6F and in my system and room the upgrade has certainly been a mixed bag. I was going to give it some more time before reverting (once that becomes possible) but I definitely prefer the sound with the old firmware. So if this upcoming update will preserve the technical improvements that were incorporated but bring the sound more like what it was before that would be appealing.

And I still have such a quiet hope that the new firmware can be better than the original one. Think about how great it would be to have warm, analog sound plus a better stage and greater precision. That's what I dream of

Even better!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #159 of 1,182
I see there are couple of firmware, one Korea and other Malaysia. And from messages I see the Malaysian one will be getting a New firmware in 7 days time. Good I have the same one. Also I could see the Korea one have more complaints/post
OK..this is getting more confusing…The online information that I have read (this is not directly from Vinshine, but was a pasted quote from Alvin stating that the EP4CE6F chip would be getting updated firmware in 7days):
"We are working with DENAFRIPS on this. We aim to release a new firmware for Pontus II (EP4CE6F) in approximately 7 days to achieve that."
My chip has that number on it and it is a Korean Chip???? (See attached photo) Am I missing something here??

Attachments

• FPGA 3.jpeg
    FPGA 3.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #160 of 1,182
Now, after 10 days of constant use I really see that the expected burn-in improvements will not arrive.
The sound of my Pontus II continues to be hard, flat and not involving. The soundstage is vast and flat, not natural at all.
In fact I really think it got louder also, meaning there is a sense out higher output.

I am thinking, could the released Firmware been successful with some variants (FPGA chip, maker and model) and not so with others? Could it work with the 12th models and not with all the previous versions? Mine clearly is the “not working” case...
Denafrips could have said: all those with the chip xxxxxx can do the firmware. The others will have to wait? Humm... probably not, and because the anxiety between audiophiles is a known illness, forums like this would be filled with dissatisfaction “where is mine? Why can’t I have the same, bla bla bla”
So I think that they decided to launch the firmware for all to try.
But the comes anxiety again. Anxiety to get back the old sound / previous firmware.
I know I have it.
Go back should be an open option: just go to the website and download the required version for your dac.

But to end on a positive note: Denafrips knows what a good dac should sound like and they are very competent and nice people, with great customer care, and that ease my anxiety a bit. Just have to wait...

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #163 of 1,182
Now, after 10 days of constant use I really see that the expected burn-in improvements will not arrive.
The sound of my Pontus II continues to be hard, flat and not involving. The soundstage is vast and flat, not natural at all.
In fact I really think it got louder also, meaning there is a sense out higher output.

I am thinking, could the released Firmware been successful with some variants (FPGA chip, maker and model) and not so with others? Could it work with the 12th models and not with all the previous versions? Mine clearly is the “not working” case...
Denafrips could have said: all those with the chip xxxxxx can do the firmware. The others will have to wait? Humm... probably not, and because the anxiety between audiophiles is a known illness, forums like this would be filled with dissatisfaction “where is mine? Why can’t I have the same, bla bla bla”
So I think that they decided to launch the firmware for all to try.
But the comes anxiety again. Anxiety to get back the old sound / previous firmware.
I know I have it.
Go back should be an open option: just go to the website and download the required version for your dac.

But to end on a positive note: Denafrips knows what a good dac should sound like and they are very competent and nice people, with great customer care, and that ease my anxiety a bit. Just have to wait...
This is how mine is sounding, my son came round to have listen and without me telling him that I had changed anything said the same. I have also noticed the increase in loudness. I usually have my Lygndorf amp set at 70 which I turn down to the high 60's for the more brick walled tracks and up a bit for more dynamic tracks, but everything seems to be more bricked walled.

Apr 12, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #164 of 1,182
Mine is korean and number is EP4CE6F. It doesnt matter where is come from. I Think that number is important.
Mine looks quite different though its EP4CE6F
OK guys.. yes…I just read over all of the instructions with my download…apparently the number EP4CE6F is what is important…not the "Country of Origin". Alvin uses an example photo of the Malaysian Chip with EP4CE6F on it in my Download instructions. I loaded that update onto my Korean Chip with the same EP4CE6F on it. My firmware update was successful.
So I think that we need to drop the "Country of Origin" lingo when we refer to the firmware update (to avoid confusion?)…we need to use the chip number …unless the different origins result in a different sound signature after update, I guess?… Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #165 of 1,182
OK guys.. yes…I just read over all of the instructions with my download…apparently the number EP4CE6F is what is important…not the "Country of Origin". Alvin uses an example photo of the Malaysian Chip with EP4CE6F on it in my Download instructions. I loaded that update onto my Korean Chip with the same EP4CE6F on it. My firmware update was successful.
So I think that we need to drop the "Country of Origin" lingo when we refer to the firmware update (to avoid confusion?)…we need to use the chip number …unless the different origins result in a different sound signature after update, I guess?… Any thoughts?

EP4CE6F has only 1 firmware file

EP4CE22F has 2 different firmware files
Download this FUT for DAC shipped before 7th Oct 2020
EP4CE22F (OA) PONTUS II FUT

Download this FUT for DAC shipped on & after 7th Oct 2020
EP4CE22F PONTUS II FUT

Not really "important" the firmware files etc... But as you say country of origin doesn't matter at all

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back