DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 11, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #136 of 1,182
I'm having issues with micro skips since installing the update.

I've requested the files to rollback 4 times now but keep getting brushed off by Vinshine.

Has anyone that has requested the files for rollback actually received them?

Welcome to head-fi!

I've experienced those micro skips/clicks/pops as well, I had to increase ASIO buffer size to reduce the amount of times it used to happen

1681228134458.png

Noone got old firmware files so far that I know of, patience I guess

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #137 of 1,182
Welcome to head-fi!

I've experienced those micro skips/clicks/pops as well, I had to increase ASIO buffer size to reduce the amount of times it used to happen

1681228134458.png

Noone got old firmware files so far that I know of, patience I guess
Thanks for your reply.

My PC connected with USB seems to work fine however I would like to use my WiiM Pro streamer. The streamer offers Chromecast and Amazon HD bit perfect that is not possible with PC. Increasing the buffer won't affect SPDIF connections.

I have 2 streamers, a WiiM Pro connected with coax and a Primare NP5 connected with optical. Both get the skips consistently at about the 10 second mark of a track.

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #138 of 1,182
Mine is the Korean chip. The update has taken the body out of vocals as many have described here. For me..the update (with 80hrs.burn-in) sounds more like a chip-based DAC to me. I also have a Marantz SACD 30n Burr/Brown Chip DAC. It’s warmer for a chip DAC. I did side-by-sides when I got my Pontus…and they were similar in sound/tone but my Pontus had more detail with no coldness. I was again comparing this morning and my Pontus w/firmware update sounds thinner with less body to male and female vocals. Also, now (as José mentions), NOS is slightly warmer than OS w/slow filers engaged and that was the opposite with the old firmware). I much prefer the way it sounded before the firmware update…and I have to say, I really don't think that "burn-in" is changing that at all.
This sound is not what I bought an R2R DAC for. Maybe it just sounds this way in my particular system…others may have a different experience? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm hearing the same and the odd micro skip, the sound stage seems to have lost depth and focus as well. I just hope we can roll back and it sounds as it did before.

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #139 of 1,182
OK Guys…someone just posted this over on Audiogon: 😀

"I shared my desire to revert to the old firmware with Vinshine and here’s what they said:

Our goal is to have the best of both worlds - New firmware with bugs fixed, as well as to preserve the sound quality that DENAFRIPS is known for - ability to reproduce music very much 'analog-like', and improve it further.

We are working with DENAFRIPS on this. We aim to release a new firmware for Pontus II (EP4CE6F) in approximately 7 days to achieve that. "

Thank you, Vinshine!!!

IF this is true, this is the correct solution. There must be a LOT of similar feedback…and they CARE!

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #141 of 1,182
Why can't they just provide us with the old firmware?
Because they care about us?
They can't afford that some of the dacs can't be updated to the same sound level. That would be a disaster for the brand. They would immediately lose a huge number of customers. So they need to fix this firmware. And if we still want to go back to the original firmware, it's a different story

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #142 of 1,182
I'm hearing the same and the odd micro skip, the sound stage seems to have lost depth and focus as well. I just hope we can roll back and it sounds as it did before.
Overall I personally like the new sound type after the FPGA upgrade, but I’m experiencing micro skips and pops. It is not consistent though.
I want to return to the original FPGA code.

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #143 of 1,182
Some micro skips and pops here too with Ares II. :unamused:

There were there before, but in different situations. Now mostly, I've detected them when changing files if they have a different format or bitrate. I can live with that, but I rather have them gone.

Apr 11, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #144 of 1,182
Someone at Audiogon forum posted this latest response from Alvin. Were all or most of the negative feedbacks from EP4CE6F owners?

"
Our goal is to have the best of both worlds - New firmware with bugs fixed, as well as to preserve the sound quality that DENAFRIPS is known for - ability to reproduce music very much 'analog-like', and improve it further.

We are working with DENAFRIPS on this. We aim to release a new firmware for Pontus II (EP4CE6F) in approximately 7 days to achieve that.

Thank you, Vinshine!!!"

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #145 of 1,182
My Pontus II has the EP4CE22F chip.
Question: do I want to try another firmware update of get the old one?
Answer: old one please. Because it was perfect. I didn’t mind the occasional “glitches” anymore

But I keep thinking that they recognize now that there is a problem with (some) Pontus II sound after the firmware released in the beginning of the month... once gain I am thinking that Denafrips does know what is the brand house sound.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #146 of 1,182
Because they care about us?
They can't afford that some of the dacs can't be updated to the same sound level. That would be a disaster for the brand. They would immediately lose a huge number of customers. So they need to fix this firmware. And if we still want to go back to the original firmware, it's a different story
You're saying that somehow having 3 versions of the firmware is necessary to preserve their credibility?

They have the original that was working fine (at least for me). The new firmware that changed the sound signature and added bugs (for some) Then there will be a third firmware that will remove the bugs and revert to the original sound signature which for all intents and purposes, is the same result as the original firmware.

If I had to guess, they're dragging their feet because rolling back to the original firmware may not be possible?

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #147 of 1,182
You're saying that somehow having 3 versions of the firmware is necessary to preserve their credibility?

They have the original that was working fine (at least for me). The new firmware that changed the sound signature and added bugs (for some) Then there will be a third firmware that will remove the bugs and revert to the original sound signature which for all intents and purposes, is the same result as the original firmware.

If I had to guess, they're dragging their feet because rolling back to the original firmware may not be possible?
My guess is they are swamped with email requests for upgrades. Give them some time they will get to you. :)

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #148 of 1,182

Rolling back to its original firmware is 99,9% possible but they're a serious company and I'm sure this is not like "oh after working x days/months let's just give them what they had like nothing happened and leave this 12th anniversary like a simple anecdote"

I'm sure they'll already figuring out how to satisfy everyone and let the ones that want the original sound go back and the ones that like the new one keep it

I respect the man, his company and people behind it, noone forced me to upgrade and even if I like the new one there's always the curiosity about A/Bing

Let's see what happens!!!

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #149 of 1,182
If I had to guess, they're dragging their feet because rolling back to the original firmware may not be possible
Its just firmware, not science rocket.
Besides, after changing the firmware, what could become irreversible? Its just soft. Put yourself in their shoes. They are trying to make a new firmware, something does not go, so they have to suddenly withdraw? They would lose credibility along with the mass of customers. They will correct it because they have to. Besides, there is the newer Pontus 12th. In my opinion, if they gave up now and returned to the original version, they would shoot themselves in the knee

Apr 11, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #150 of 1,182
Rolling back to its original firmware is 99,9% possible but they're a serious company and I'm sure this is not like "oh after working x days/months let's just give them what they had like nothing happened and leave this 12th anniversary like a simple anecdote"

I'm sure they'll already figuring out how to satisfy everyone and let the ones that want the original sound go back and the ones that like the new one keep it

I respect the man, his company and people behind it, noone forced me to upgrade and even if I like the new one there's always the curiosity about A/Bing

Let's see what happens!!!
I agree, José. Alvin and Denafrips are all genuine and doing this for the good of all. I just dropped Alvin a note to confirm if this is all true.. as I got that info, unconfirmed off of a blog on the web. :smirk: We all just need to stay patient. Getting into whinging, blaming or attack mode is not going to be in the spirit of what is going on here!!!! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back