DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 10, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #121 of 1,138
Guys, I've been suffering torments since April 2. I miss my old Pontus so much that you have no idea. Like you, I lack a full rich sound, there are no reverbs, sound it is a bit flat, and lacks musicality. The sound is a bit sharp and artificial. Dac is like cheap Chinese toys. I convince myself to wait a few more days, but my patience is running out. Pontus plays about 40-50 hours. How much longer does it have to play? What do you think? Or maybe it's supposed to play that way according to Denafrips?

Apr 10, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #122 of 1,138
Guys, I've been suffering torments since April 2. I miss my old Pontus so much that you have no idea. Like you, I lack a full rich sound, there are no reverbs, sound it is a bit flat, and lacks musicality. The sound is a bit sharp and artificial. Dac is like cheap Chinese toys. I convince myself to wait a few more days, but my patience is running out. Pontus plays about 40-50 hours. How much longer does it have to play? What do you think? Or maybe it's supposed to play that way according to Denafrips?
Hey Mike…be patient..supposedly we will be able to get the old firmware from Alvin if we want it. I have been in the same boat as you…apparently Alvin told someone 300 hrs. burn-in..🥺
I am running mine 24/7 as of yesterday. I loaded mine Sunday a week ago…so I am going to give it until this Sunday. I do really like some of the detail…but I want some body back….we'll see…but don't fret…you can supposedly go back.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #123 of 1,138
Patience I'm sure they'll give the old firmware and we'll be able to go back asap

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #124 of 1,138
Yes, I just received the confirmation from Denafrips that we can go back. I have requested the files to do it.
That said, I will give it another week and see if it improves. I am curious to see if they (the brand engineers) are right in the end... as they also done the original firmware for all the Denafrips models, I assume that they know what a good dac should sound like... again, let’s see...

Apr 11, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #125 of 1,138
Yes, I just received the confirmation from Denafrips that we can go back. I have requested the files to do it.
That said, I will give it another week and see if it improves. I am curious to see if they (the brand engineers) are right in the end... as they also done the original firmware for all the Denafrips models, I assume that they know what a good dac should sound like... again, let’s see...
It's interesting to see the reception that Pontus II firmware has received. Ares II firmware was a huge improvement on what was already a musical DAC. I assumed the Pontus II update would have a similar impact.

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #127 of 1,138

I just want to thank everyone for coming here and giving their well-considered assessments about the firmware update. You all have helped preserve my sanity and helped my awareness, patience and understanding.
THANK YOU! 👍🏼

I just received Whatsapp from Vinshine about requesting the old firmware FUT files in firmware@vinshineaudio.com

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #128 of 1,138
I just received Whatsapp from Vinshine about requesting the old firmware FUT files in firmware@vinshineaudio.com
José…do we have to send chip photos etc. to that address with a request for the old firmware for "our" individual chips? Actually, I am going to keep burning in for a while, and wait for reports here about your re-installs and info of the experience. 😀

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #129 of 1,138
José…do we have to send chip photos etc. to that address with a request for the old firmware for "our" individual chips? Actually, I am going to keep burning in for a while, and wait for reports here about your re-installs and info of the experience. 😀
I sent it like this, my FPGA chip letters wasn't clear at all so I typed em down

I trust they'll send the right files so I don't brick my unit, I suggest if you really want to go back send the email as well so we may get it sooner

1681210839865.png

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #130 of 1,138
I sent it like this, my FPGA chip letters wasn't clear at all so I typed em down

I trust they'll send the right files so I don't brick my unit, I suggest if you really want to go back send the email as well so we may get it sooner

My old-agedness dis-allows me from being familiar with WhatsApp 😀…so I will just send an email.
THANKS for the help…I will just request it today, as I just want a copy on-hand for my Pontus. 👍🏼

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #133 of 1,138
Does different FPGA makes different sound signature? Mine is Malaysia

Since no one (that I know of) ever reported one Denafrips DAC sounded different than another of the same model with a different FPGA chip (or that different FPGA chips were even a thing) I'm going to say this: of all the things that contribute to the sound signature of your DAC: source, power, local EMI, etc. the FPGA chip itself is at or very near the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #134 of 1,138
Thats the question 😉
Mine is the Korean chip. The update has taken the body out of vocals as many have described here. For me..the update (with 80hrs.burn-in) sounds more like a chip-based DAC to me. I also have a Marantz SACD 30n Burr/Brown Chip DAC. It’s warmer for a chip DAC. I did side-by-sides when I got my Pontus…and they were similar in sound/tone but my Pontus had more detail with no coldness. I was again comparing this morning and my Pontus w/firmware update sounds thinner with less body to male and female vocals. Also, now (as José mentions), NOS is slightly warmer than OS w/slow filers engaged and that was the opposite with the old firmware). I much prefer the way it sounded before the firmware update…and I have to say, I really don't think that "burn-in" is changing that at all.
This sound is not what I bought an R2R DAC for. Maybe it just sounds this way in my particular system…others may have a different experience? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back