DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Mar 5, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,081 of 1,124
BTW, don't tell me DDC's are snake oil. I have my Iris connected to the Pontus via I2S, but also to my Teac UD-503 DAC via S/PDIF cable, and lo and behold, the Teac sounds a lot better now with tighter bass and more weight and detail to the music.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #1,082 of 1,124
Thanks. No, I don't have a Mac, strictly Windows PC.

Anyway, the firmware info isn't showing in the Denafrips USB Audio Device Control Panel - not under the Status, Info, or About tabs. Also not listed in Device Manager. And as a PC builder, I know my way around Device Manager, and that info isn't there.

No worries though as I'm quite sure it has the latest firmware as site's product pages says it ships with the latest. This is a non-issue. Was just curious.

Do you have a Pontus? If so, does your get hot? Mine is barely warn. I ask because I'd heard some say it can get toasty. Mine barely gets warm.

Thanks.
I know I read somewhere how to check the version on a windows pc from back when some folks were having problems. You could shoot en email to Alvin…
Yes, I have a Pontus II / 12. I leave it on unless I am traveling and like yours it is barely warm.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #1,083 of 1,124
I know I read somewhere how to check the version on a windows pc from back when some folks were having problems. You could shoot en email to Alvin…
Yeah, I was just curious. It's a non-issue for me.

And no, that info is not displayed in Windows. And I'm 99.999 sure it's not intended to be. Macs might show it, never used a Mac, but Windows doesn't. But again, not an issue. Thanks for the info though :thumbsup:
Yes, I have a Pontus II / 12. I leave it on unless I am traveling and like yours it is barely warm.
Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. Anyway, I ask because of this > post. I checked mine, and no discolored of blown caps.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #1,084 of 1,124
Thanks. That makes me feel a little better. Anyway, I ask because of this > post. I checked mine, and no discolored of blown caps.

Also note the person said after 6 months, not fresh out the box so anything can happen in due time.

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #1,085 of 1,124
Also note the person said after 6 months, not fresh out the box so anything can happen in due time.
The point, in case you missed it, is I appear have the same issue... regardless of when it happened.

At any rate, I'll see what Alvin has to say about it. And yes, given some of the replies, it could be nothing. Just making sure.

And speaking fresh out the box, I actually DO have a "fresh out of the box" issue also with my Denafrips Artemis headphone amp as posted > here. So fresh out of the box issues actually do happen. In this case it appears I was shipped a defective unit.

Edit - See my post > here. The short version - No defect.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #1,086 of 1,124
Are there any 2024 firmware updates in the making / available already? Just curious.
The "old" 2023 links to the support site seem dead by now.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #1,088 of 1,124
Yeah, I was just curious. It's a non-issue for me.

And no, that info is not displayed in Windows. And I'm 99.999 sure it's not intended to be. Macs might show it, never used a Mac, but Windows doesn't. But again, not an issue. Thanks for the info though :thumbsup:

I’ve opened mine to check it out not long ago, curious about layout, no discolored caps!😎, lots of ps caps too!

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #1,089 of 1,124
The point, in case you missed it, is I appear have the same issue... regardless of when it happened.

At any rate, I'll see what Alvin has to say about it. And yes, given some of the replies, it could be nothing. Just making sure.

And speaking fresh out the box, I actually DO have a "fresh out of the box" issue also with my Denafrips Artemis headphone amp as posted > here. So fresh out of the box issues actually do happen. In this case it appears I was shipped a defective unit.
ah i didnt see that gotcha. Hard to keep track over multiple threads

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,091 of 1,124
My question exactly… is there something to improve on the Pontus II?
I use the v1.0 and I am happy, but… :)
lol I find in this hobby a lot of the "upgrade" are just trading blows.

For example:

Mojo 1 -> Mojo 2
Modi Multibtit 1 -> Modi Multibit 2
Bifrost 2 -> Bifrost 2/64

All of them gained resolution but tonality changed from warm -> neutral. Some like it some does not like it.

Some prefer the original version.

I don't know what differences were made from Pontus I -> Pontus II, but I'd imagine it would most likely "upgrade" plus "different".

Like going from Toyota RAV4 "upgrade" to Tesla Model 3. You gain speed but lose truck space. :laughing:

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #1,092 of 1,124

For example:

Mojo 1 -> Mojo 2
Modi Multibtit 1 -> Modi Multibit 2
Bifrost 2 -> Bifrost 2/64

All of them gained resolution but tonality changed from warm -> neutral. Some like it some does not like it.

Some prefer the original version.

I don't know what differences were made from Pontus I -> Pontus II, but I'd imagine it would most likely "upgrade" plus "different".

Like going from Toyota RAV4 "upgrade" to Tesla Model 3. You gain speed but lose truck space. :laughing:
Totally agree.
Most of the components in my system have more than 10 years.. up to 25. In my experience newer rarely better.
But if one can experience better / different through a software update, then let’s try it (if it can be reversed, of course)

… like testing different electronic setting maps on a car :)

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #1,093 of 1,124
Sine you're in this thread, you would (should) know there is a newer firmware than 1.0, thus if you choose to look through the thread (and you should), perhaps your question(s) would be answered :wink:

Me, having just bought my Pontus II 12th-1, it already had the latest firmware, and sounds great to me. Of course, I can't compare it to 1.0 cause I've not had that version.

While nothing is fully "end game", I tend to hold onto what I buy for years before upgrading to the next great thing. Here it will be no different. All I'll do is keep up with the firmware updates.

Mar 9, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #1,094 of 1,124
The firmware updates available for the II series of DACs quite drastically change the sound signature of the DAC.
If it is an improvement is up to you... be aware that after a firmware change some dozen hours of break-in (again!!) is required.
I tried all 3 available versions last summer and sticked with the latest one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back