Denafrips Artemis
Feb 28, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #166 of 205
You will not regret it.
Allow the Artemis to burn in. At first mine sounded too warm but after a few days the top opened out and all was beautifully balanced. I heard details I had missed before (Violectric V281).
Driving my Heddphone1 takes it to its limit for power.
Perfect match with Sennheiser HD800S and AA Composer. No problem with planars such as Hifiman HE1000SE.
Thanks.

I actually considered going to a Violectric NIIMBUS US 5 PRO, or the Chord Hugo TT2 for a smaller desktop footprint, but in the end the description of the sound coming out of the Artemis was just too appealing to overlook.

Would have loved to have the opportunity to hear both amps - Nimbus, and Artemis, but, in today's world, few have those opportunities now. There's CanJam, but even getting there for some is no easy feat.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #168 of 205
Thanks.

I actually considered going to a Violectric NIIMBUS US 5 PRO, or the Chord Hugo TT2 for a smaller desktop footprint, but in the end the description of the sound coming out of the Artemis was just too appealing to overlook.

Would have loved to have the opportunity to hear both amps - Nimbus, and Artemis, but, in today's world, few have those opportunities now. There's CanJam, but even getting there for some is no easy feat.
I used to have the TT1. I did not like the Chord house sound - very silicon.
I have not heard the Niimbus long enough to comment.

Mar 4, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #172 of 205
Well, my entire order arrived today, and got things setup but have questions already...

From some of the things I heard, I expected to Pontus to get hot. It's not even warm. Even after an hour's use it not warm. Issue?

I found I can't use the optical cable from the Iris to my Teac DAC. Running an optical cable from Iris into the Teac and trying to play music basically disconnects it. Running a digital cable from Iris to Teac, and things work fine. Also, the I2S From the Iris going into the Pontus via HDMI is setup and working as it should, so no issues.

The Artemis Headphone amp appears to be working well. Have the Pontus feeding the Artemis via XLR balanced. Also have my Rotel CD player feeding into the Pontus via digital in. All working well as far as I can tell.

The question I have about the Artemis is to do with Standby. When the Artemis is on, the Input LEDs (whichever is selected) are solid Red. When in Standby mode (off) the Input LEDs (whichever is selected) blink. Is that normal?

Anyway, things sound a little tinny right now, but I'm sure things will change with a little burn in time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #173 of 205
Well, my entire order arrived today, and got things setup but have questions already...

From some of the things I heard, I expected to Pontus to get hot. It's not even warm. Even after an hour's use it not warm. Issue?

I found I can't use the optical cable from the Iris to my Teac DAC. Running an optical cable from Iris into the Teac and trying to play music basically disconnects it. Running a digital cable from Iris to Teac, and things work fine. Also, the I2S From the Iris going into the Pontus via HDMI is setup and working as it should, so no issues.

The Artemis Headphone amp appears to be working well. Have the Pontus feeding the Artemis via XLR balanced. Also have my Rotel CD player feeding into the Artemis via digital in. All working well as far as I can tell.

The question I have about the Artemis is to do with Standby. When the Artemis is on, the Input LEDs (whichever is selected) are solid Red. When in Standby mode (off) the Input LEDs (whichever is selected) blink. Is that normal?

Anyway, things sound a little tinny right now, but I'm sure things will change with a little burn in time.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #174 of 205
No. It is not normal. When the Artemis is put into standby the led next to the standby button lights up and not blinking. The input LEDs go out when in standby.
I do not understand your statement that the Rotel is feeding the Artemis by digital in. If the Rotel has a digital out then it needs connecting to the Iris or Pontus. The Artemis can’t take a digital input.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #175 of 205
No. It is not normal. When the Artemis is put into standby the led next to the standby button lights up and not blinking. The input LEDs go out when in standby.
Then if what you say is true, then Vinshine sent me a defective unit. Not happy about that :disappointed:

I do not understand your statement that the Rotel is feeding the Artemis by digital in.
Also have my Rotel CD player feeding into the Artemis via digital in.
That's obviously a mistake as I meant to say the Rotel is feeding into the Pontus. And yes, I was aware the Artemis didn't take digital inputs even before I got it.

Anyway, I corrected the statement.

Also awaiting Alvin to get back to me on two issues - The Artemis Standby blinking LEDs, and my Pontus doesn't get hot.

Did they send me defective units in an effort to get products out the door? Not saying it's purposeful, but still I got possibly two defective units?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #176 of 205
I do not understand your statement that the Rotel is feeding the Artemis by digital in. If the Rotel has a digital out then it needs connecting to the Iris or Pontus. The Artemis can’t take a digital input.
I just unplugged the amp and plugged in back in, sure enough the Standy light comes on and is a solid red; however, when I power the unit on, power it off for Standby, the selected Input LED blinks and the Standby light isn't lit.

Also, I can still change inputs while the amp is supposed to be in Standby mode, and no matter which input is chosen, it blinks until the unit is powered on.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:09 PM Post #177 of 205
Sounds like you have a defective unit.
Sales@vinshineaudio.com is the address for Alvin.
I have had defective units from them before. They were replaced without fuss.

I have the T+12 DAC and it does not get hot. Just a little warm after hours of use.

concerning the Iris: Alvin has a video showing how to connect it by I2S to the Pontus.
You do not plug the Rotel into the Iris?

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #178 of 205
First I need to say, after speaking with Alvin at Vinshine, I was informed they do not ship used equipment...
We always ship brand new units straight from the DENAFRIPS factory. This is a responsibility we don't take lightly. Shipping used units to customers is not an option for us. It not only damages our reputation but also has far-reaching negative consequences that would ultimately cost us much more.
I post that as I stated in my now edited post above, I thought I got used equipment based on certain appearances and missing rubber foot padding. Upon Alvin's email, and further review, I've found the rubber pads, they appeared to come off in shipping, and ended up all over my carpet. Just setting my comments straight.

Now, and @S Crowther...
Alvin informed me, on the proper operation of the Standby button, and said your info was based on an older unit. He went on to explain the procedures, and I'll post them here in case someone else gets confused on the proper operation and thinks their unit is defective.

From Alvin Vinshine audio...

I noted a forumer responded on the Headfi forum. He owns an older Artemis, the operation mode is a little different... Now, here lies the confusion. The Standby Button serves multi-purposes:

Mute Mode
  1. When the HPA is in Operation Mode, press the Standby Button once to 'Mute' the HPA
  2. When 'Mute' mode is engaged, the selected Input LED flashes
  3. To disengage 'Mute' mode, press the Standby Button once. The selected Input LED shall lit (still)
Put the HPA in Standby Mode
  1. When the HPA is in Operation Mode, press and hold the Standby Button
  2. After a short delay, Standby LED lit
  3. The HPA is in Standby Mode
I did not realize you have to hold the button until you hear a click (relay) and then the Standby light lights solid red and the unit is in Standby. Also didn't realize flashing LEDs meant the unit was in Mute Mode. LOL, left it like that all night.

As for the Pontus, he said, most of the heat will be near the bottom, not the top. Meaning the top is going to be lukewarm.

All that said, I'm good now. Nothing left to do but enjoy.

Peace :sunglasses:

Mar 6, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #179 of 205
concerning the Iris: Alvin has a video showing how to connect it by I2S to the Pontus.
You do not plug the Rotel into the Iris?
Not sure where you're getting, I don't know how to connect stuff, but that's from true. Was also versed on I2S to Pontus connection before I got my items.

Anyway, here's a diagram I sent to Alvin, before I ordered my gear, and he certainly approved...
You described the possible connection scenario perfectly. The diagram you drafted, shows great understanding on how the equipment works and can be fully utilized. It's cool!

Denafrips cabling.jpg

And I'd already known I couldn't connect the Rotel to the Iris as its only USB input (sans the Clock inputs), and why I considered the Hermes, but passed. And as I said, I simply connected the Rotel to the Pontus (as shown in the diagram). You can also see the Iris is connected to the Teac via S/PDIF cable, and to the Pontus via I2S.

The only thing I didn't do per the diagram is connect the Teac to the Artemis as that's a moot point, being I prefer listening to music through the Pontus/Artemis, as opposed Teac/Artemis. Perhaps I could do it for a different sound flavor, but...

Anyway, next year, I'll be looking for a suitable pre-amp to better tie things together and dump the Teac.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #180 of 205
Not sure where you're getting, I don't know how to connect stuff, but that's from true. Was also versed on I2S to Pontus connection before I got my items.

Anyway, here's a diagram I sent to Alvin, before I ordered my gear, and he certainly approved...

Denafrips cabling.jpg

And I'd already known I couldn't connect the Rotel to the Iris as its only USB input (sans the Clock inputs), and why I considered the Hermes, but passed. And as I said, I simply connected the Rotel to the Pontus (as shown in the diagram). You can also see the Iris is connected to the Teac via S/PDIF cable, and to the Pontus via I2S.

The only thing I didn't do per the diagram is connect the Teac to the Artemis as that's a moot point, being I prefer listening to music through the Pontus/Artemis, as opposed Teac/Artemis. Perhaps I could do it for a different sound flavor, but...

Anyway, next year, I'll be looking for a suitable pre-amp to better tie things together and dump the Teac.
Just for interest here is the link to Alvin's video about connecting the Iris to the Pontus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back