Denafrips Artemis
Feb 5, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #152 of 205
So, I'm in a position to get both the Denafrips Artemis AND a pair of Sennheiser HD800S headphones by month's end.

I'm currently running a Teac UD-503 DAC (Pre-amp / headphone amp). Fully balanced. For now, my plan is to use the Teac as a pre-amp to the Artemis, as both my PC (USB) and active speakers are directly connected to it. The CD player (also directly connected to the DAC), would then move to the headphone amp until I get either the Pontus or Venus DAC.

This my current setup. The headphones are Sennheiser HD700...

CD-Player-DAC.jpg

My-PC-audiophile-system-setup.jpg

Thoughts / Opinions?

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #153 of 205
So, I'm in a position to get both the Denafrips Artemis AND a pair of Sennheiser HD800S headphones by month's end.

I'm currently running a Teac UD-503 DAC (Pre-amp / headphone amp). Fully balanced. For now, my plan is to use the Teac as a pre-amp to the Artemis, as both my PC (USB) and active speakers are directly connected to it. The CD player (also directly connected to the DAC), would then move to the headphone amp until I get either the Pontus or Venus DAC.
You would be quite pleased, I previously had a Teac UD-505 and the Artemis will be a major upgrade for the headphone amp in terms of details and soundstage.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #154 of 205
So I'm still till looking to get the Artemis, but I'm lost as to what to pair it with Preamp wise. I have Teac UD-503 that I could use, but I'm looking for something more.

Any suggestions on a good preamp to work nicely with the combo of the Artemis and Pontus? Not interested in an amp at the moment as my speakers are active.

Not interested in a streamer as I buy my own CDs since I'm a music collector. My entire collection has also been ripped in FLAC to my NAS for streaming to my phone to car via Plex/Plexamp. For local file playback, I use JRiver Media Center.

Suggestions?

Feb 8, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #155 of 205
So I'm still till looking to get the Artemis, but I'm lost as to what to pair it with Preamp wise. I have Teac UD-503 that I could use, but I'm looking for something more.

Any suggestions on a good preamp to work nicely with the combo of the Artemis and Pontus? Not interested in an amp at the moment as my speakers are active.

Not interested in a streamer as I buy my own CDs since I'm a music collector. My entire collection has also been ripped in FLAC to my NAS for streaming to my phone to car via Plex/Plexamp. For local file playback, I use JRiver Media Center.

Suggestions?
I currently using a Wooaudio WA2 as a preamp and im loving it. I would also recommend a schiit freya tube preamp because of the full balanced nature and bypass tube feature

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #156 of 205
I currently using a Wooaudio WA2 as a preamp and im loving it. I would also recommend a schiit freya tube preamp because of the full balanced nature and bypass tube feature
Thanks. Prefer solid state over tube amps. That's me.

Anyway, I did take a look at the Schiit Kara (also fully balanced) but....

I'm beginning to think I should look for something more all in one able to push my Senns HD800S as going the Denafrips way is starting to push funds beyond what I intended. I can fund both the Artemis and Pontus DAC, but what do I do for a pre-amp.

The other option is just to get the Artemis and the Denafrips Hades Preamp and pick up the Pontus later.

I think I need to contact Alvin at Vinshine. What's the best way to contact him?

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #158 of 205
Sales@vinshine.com
You do not need a pre-amp for the Artemis to power the HD800S. At least I do not.
Yeah, I understand that. Question (you might have stated this in a previous post), what are you sourcing to the Artemis - straight DAC or DAC/Preamp?
The Artemis and the Hades are both unity gain so adding the Hades won't make much difference to power output of the Artemis. That is what my local dealer told me.
I'm not looking to increase power, I'm looking the ability to have multiple inputs to include CD, PC, and down the line my turntable.

At the end of the day, I think, I'm way overthinking things and may get the Artemis, connect it to the Teac DAC, and go from there. Teac UD-503 always been described as velvety or tube-like sounding, but I find it a bit too forward and lean at times, especially the headphone amp. I'm just hoping the leanness of that sound doesn't overall taint the Artemis. If that makes sense.

Anyway, I'll reach out to Alvin and with my concerns and see what he thinks.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #159 of 205
Yeah, I understand that. Question (you might have stated this in a previous post), what are you sourcing to the Artemis - straight DAC or DAC/Preamp?
This setup is all Denafrips:
Aether>Gaia>T+12>Artemis
The best headphones I have heard for this setup are the Sennheiser HD800S and the Austrian Audio Composer.
For planars and my Heddphone1 I use Xduoo TA20+ instead of the Artemis.

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #161 of 205
Anyone have an idea of how long it takes to receive an order from Vinshine Audio to the U.S.? Will be ordering the Artemis, Ares II 12th-1 and the Iris DDC.

They say they offer expedited shipping. Anyone use that and know what the US cost is? Also, will customs ding me for such a large order?

Thanks.

BTW, due to the Chinese New Year, Denafrips isn't processing any orders before the 19 of Feb. You can order, but they'll sit until then.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #162 of 205
Question - How hot does the Artemis get? Also, the Pontus, since I intend to get both and stack them.

BTW, Alvin finally contacted me, and because I forgot to mention what headphones, he reminded me the Artemis is a unity gain Amp, and as such may not be powerful enough to drive my (unknown to him) headphones and thus recommended the Kinki Studio THR-1.

Looks like a great amp, and it's built like a tank, and less expensive, but I'm still going with the Artemis as my headphones are Sennheiser HD800S.

Anyway, about the heat - how hot does the Artemis, and Pontus get?

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #163 of 205
Pontus II 12th-1 DAC, Artemis Headphone amp, and Iris DDC....

Went to pull the trigger on this last night... and got cold feet.

Today, after thinking long and hard, I pulled the trigger and ordered. Now all there is left to do is wait for the arrival :sunglasses:

Cost of ownership got me as I had to buy cables to also include XLR cables since I had none. Went with Worlds Best Cables (Mogami 2549 XLR).

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #164 of 205
Question - How hot does the Artemis get? Also, the Pontus, since I intend to get both and stack them.
Just measured with my Pixel and I'm getting 100.6F for the Artemis and 80.0F for the Pontus II.

Pontus II 12th-1 DAC, Artemis Headphone amp

Currently listening to the vanilla Pontus II + Artemis and loving the sound. :thumbsup: Nice score!

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #165 of 205
Pontus II 12th-1 DAC, Artemis Headphone amp, and Iris DDC....

Went to pull the trigger on this last night... and got cold feet.

Today, after thinking long and hard, I pulled the trigger and ordered. Now all there is left to do is wait for the arrival :sunglasses:

Cost of ownership got me as I had to buy cables to also include XLR cables since I had none. Went with Worlds Best Cables (Mogami 2549 XLR).
You will not regret it.
Allow the Artemis to burn in. At first mine sounded too warm but after a few days the top opened out and all was beautifully balanced. I heard details I had missed before (Violectric V281).
Driving my Heddphone1 takes it to its limit for power.
Perfect match with Sennheiser HD800S and AA Composer. No problem with planars such as Hifiman HE1000SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back