Denafrips Artemis
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #186 of 205
Man, this amp is breaking in rather nicely. I've been listening all day to electronica and EDM music, and man, I've never heard these Senn HD800S, play bass like this. There's plenty of weight and power going through these phones and neither the Senn HD800S nor Artemis amp is struggling.

Funny thing is when I first got the amp, I was cranking the volume knob to near max, now I'm happily at halfway and this thing kicks. And this is only after a week's break in. I've got maybe 60 play hours on everything. Man, I can't wait till this thing really opens up.

I certainly can't speak for other headphones, but yeah, this amp is perfect for the HD800S headphones. And this is with stock cables and earpads. As a reminder the Pontus II 12th-1 is feeding into the Artemis. FLAC PC files are feed through the Iris 12th via I2S connection to the Pontus.
This Artemis is living up to all the hype I've heard thus far. Also have the credit the Pontus. This is a great combo :L3000:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #187 of 205
Looking for a warm sounding solid state musical amp - bit elevated bass/thicker mids and smoother treble without masking overall details would be a generalization of my sound signature.

I am gathering this amp might have some what a lean towards the warmness I am looking for from your experience? appreciate your feedback.

I ruled out Vio V281 with the great feedback here from @S Crowther, I tried Aune S17 pro, good amp but more neutral and a bit leaner bass, My Audio-GD R28 headphone out has better Class A sound than Aune to my preference.

The other warmer amp I have read about is Vio V222 but not sure if it is any warmer than Artemis.

Apr 24, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #188 of 205
Looking for a warm sounding solid state musical amp - bit elevated bass/thicker mids and smoother treble without masking overall details would be a generalization of my sound signature.

I am gathering this amp might have some what a lean towards the warmness I am looking for from your experience? appreciate your feedback.

I ruled out Vio V281 with the great feedback here from @S Crowther, I tried Aune S17 pro, good amp but more neutral and a bit leaner bass, My Audio-GD R28 headphone out has better Class A sound than Aune to my preference.

The other warmer amp I have read about is Vio V222 but not sure if it is any warmer than Artemis.
The V281 is a fantastic amp with a tube like warmth, great bottom end and beautiful tone/timbre. Just my two cents

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #189 of 205

The V281 is a fantastic amp with a tube like warmth, great bottom end and beautiful tone/timbre. Just my two cents
I can't speak on the V281 as I've never heard it, but I obviously have the Artemis, and if what you say you're looking for, you won't be disappointed with the Denafrips.

That said, it also depends on your headphones - if your headphones are dark, those in combo with this amp may be too dark. The Sennheiser HD800S (a bright headphone) is a perfect match for the Artemis.

Suggest you view this video to get an idea of the Artemis amp. Given I have the amp (also why I got it), I feel he's spot on with his overall impressions. His description was exactly what I was looking for sound wise in a headphone amp...

Good luck.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #190 of 205
I can't speak on the V281 as I've never heard it, but I obviously have the Artemis, and if what you say you're looking for, you won't be disappointed with the Denafrips.

That said, it also depends on your headphones - if your headphones are dark, those in combo with this amp may be too dark. The Sennheiser HD800S (a bright headphone) is a perfect match for the Artemis.

Suggest you view this video to get an idea of the Artemis amp. Given I have the amp (also why I got it), I feel he's spot on with his overall impressions. His description was exactly what I was looking for sound wise in a headphone amp...

Good luck.

Great message. I review on the side for fun and because I like to write. I have owned several Denafrips pieces and know Alvin pretty well. The only item he wouldn't let me review if I wanted to review his stuff was the Artemis due to the synergy issue which is a big part of the amp being unity gain. Once the amp achieves unity gain, the sound is tremendous. However, unity gain has other things that make synergy tough too. McIntosh revolutionized the concept of unity gain. Almost all of their amps are unity gain. I had the MHA200 tube amp for a few months which was unity gain. The problem for me was that zero is basically 12 on the volume pot of the MHA200. By 2 on the volume pot it is so loud you can't listen to it. So, the amount of flexibility on that amp was really small which caused me to only be able to use certain headphones.

The Artemis is a beautiful amp, and yes the sound is dark, or warm depending on which term you like. It is more than slightly north of neutral with timbral qualities and with the right headphone it is amazing. If I were to buy the Artemis I would use it with high impedance headphones and headphones that can handle the volume pot up in the 11-2 range. This is just my opinion. I don't own an Artemis. However, Alvin wouldn't let me review it because of the challenges of the gain on the amp. He felt it would be a hard amp to explain and pair with.

Most amps achieve unity gain around 12-1, even if they aren't specially designed this way. I just learned this from a friend who builds amps. I am now playing with the internal volume on my DAC so that I can get my amps into unity to see how the sound changes. I find that the amps dynamics are a bit more palpable in unity. The challenge with the Artemis is that unity is your only option. With my other amps, achieving unity gain is great for certain headphones, whereas my others I don't mess with the balance of fixed versus adjusted volume on my DAC.

This is just my two cents, so take with a grain of salt. Preferably Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt..:)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #191 of 205
However, Alvin wouldn't let me review it because of the challenges of the gain on the amp. He felt it would be a hard amp to explain and pair with.
Lachlen (Passion for Sound) had no issues with reviewing it. And he never mentioned unity gain.

The only thing Lachlen noted was the amp wasn't suitable with IEMs. I don't use IEMs, so that "negative" wasn't/isn't an issue for me. I also don't own hard to drive headphones like the Hifiman Susvara headphones. And, in understanding what I have, wouldn't be looking to get anything that the amp may struggle with.

Additionally, if I were looking into future of getting something like the Susvara's, I wouldn't have gotten the amp to begin with.

But that's me.
Most amps achieve unity gain around 12-1, even if they aren't specially designed this way. I just learned this from a friend who builds amps. I am now playing with the internal volume on my DAC so that I can get my amps into unity to see how the sound changes. I find that the amps dynamics are a bit more palpable in unity. The challenge with the Artemis is that unity is your only option. With my other amps, achieving unity gain is great for certain headphones, whereas my others I don't mess with the balance of fixed versus adjusted volume on my DAC.

This is just my two cents, so take with a grain of salt. Preferably Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt..:)
I guess it all depends on what you're pairing to the amp. As of my setup, I've zero issues with volume to my 300Ohm Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

I run my Pontus into the Artemis. My CD player into the Pontus via coaxial cable, and my PC to via USB cable Iris, and Iris into the Pontus via HDMI (I2S) cable. Zero issues with power or sound.

In short, for me, the fact that the headphone amp is a unity gain amp, has not impacted me and the way I run my setup.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #192 of 205
Lachlen (Passion for Sound) had no issues with reviewing it. And he never mentioned unity gain.

The only thing Lachlen noted was the amp wasn't suitable with IEMs. I don't use IEMs, so that "negative" wasn't/isn't an issue for me. I also don't own hard to drive headphones like the Hifiman Susvara headphones. And, in understanding what I have, wouldn't be looking to get anything that the amp may struggle with.

Additionally, if I were looking into future of getting something like the Susvara's, I wouldn't have gotten the amp to begin with.

But that's me.

I guess it all depends on what you're pairing to the amp. As of my setup, I've zero issues with volume to my 300Ohm Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

I run my Pontus into the Artemis. My CD player into the Pontus via coaxial cable, and my PC to via USB cable Iris, and Iris into the Pontus via HDMI (I2S) cable. Zero issues with power or sound.

In short, for me, the fact that the headphone amp is a unity gain amp, has not impacted me and the way I run my setup.
Oh, I hope you didn't take offense to my message. I was just saying what Alvin told me and what I've experienced. The HD800S might be the absolute perfect headphone for the Artemis. I used to own the Pontus II and Iris. Wonderful digital front end. I only had one issue with it, and over time that issue led me to moving on. But, sound wise I couldn't find a fault that would cause me to want to move away. The Pontus is an amazing DAC.

I am glad you like your set up, it sounds like it is working out great and that the amp is a perfect match for what you are doing. Can't ask for more than that.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #193 of 205

But that's me.

I watched Lachlan's review. I found it interesting. He was very measured with his words, especially when it came to how dark the amp is. Otherwise, it was a really good review and as always, I really enjoy Lachlan's candor. He is a very smart and thoughtful individual. Also, an extremely nice person.

Apr 25, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #194 of 205
I've had the Artemis as my main headphone amp for over a year and very pleased with it. Very detailed and musical. Wide soundstage and depth improved with SR purple fuses. Went to a theater listening to an orchestra and to me the Artemis is the amp that matches the most a live experience.

So far I find (that's just me) the Artemis superior to the following amps that I previously owned:

Violectric V100 neutral but lacking depth
Violectric V200 too warm and lacking depth
Singxer SA-1 nice all around amp for the price but flatter sound and smaller soundstage
Bryston HPA-1 very dynamic but lacking depth and separation

Also heard the following amps:

Holo Bliss KTE similar to the Bryston but with much better soundstage and separation, appealing amp but I prefer the finesse of the Artemis
T+A HA200 very neutral and detailed, studio/reference stuff
Chord TT2 incredibly detailed, less musical and on the dry side for my taste
SPL Phonitor XE detailed, studio/reference type of sound offering a nice balance, may get one for a second system.

The only one I heard so far that was clearly better over the Artemis was the DCS Lina stack... had it all, smooth, so detailed with jaw dropping depth and texture.

Would be curious to hear the MJ3, CFA3 and Niimbus 4/5 before considering getting a second amp.

All of this is subjective but hope it helps.

Impressive the artemis took down bliss.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #195 of 205
Impressive the artemis took down bliss.
Great list. I heard the MJ3 with an Yggy at Dallas Canjam and was blown away. It is truly a marvel. I congratulated Jason on the amp and he looked at me and said now I have to figure out how to make everything sound this good.

I own the CFA3 and the Mjolnir Pure BiPolar, which is another Dynalo circuit amp. They are the two best SS amps I've heard. The CFA3's treble nuance is ridiculously good and it is smooth and buttery. The PB has more 2nd order harmonic distortion, has no drift and is full of beautiful saturation that turns into incredible resolution with a hint of wetness. The midrange of the PB is its magic power. They both have incredible bass, soundstages and overall balance. The CFA3's treble is better than the PB's, but not by much. Plus, they both have way more power than any sane person needs. The PB is right around 12 watts into 60 ohms, and my CFA3 is 15.5 watts into 60 ohms. Insane power, but since they were built for me, we biased them to allow for more volume play and better dynamics. I am listening to my Code X on the PB right now and it is so good. I don't know how they compare to the Artemis, it has been more than 2 yrs since hearing one and I couldn't accurately express its sound. But, I would take the CFA3, MJ3 and my PB over the Bliss KTE any day.

I loved the HA200, but I have a Corda Soul MK2, which I prefer. I agree 100% with your assessment of all the amps on your list. Especially the TT2, the Bryston and the Singxer. For $500 the Singxer is pretty incredible, but those types of amps are missing top end resolution and a depth to the sound that you can't measure. The Singxer, Topping and SMSL's of the world have their place and they measure perfectly. Could care less. I am a tube guy at heart. My favorite amp is my Eddie Current Aficionado by a lot. I just love tubes, and ASR would destroy it as a waste of money. And then there would be 20 pages of people disparaging the amp, the designer and anyone whoe would buy one. No thank you! How wrong they would be, as that amp is so fast, clear, resolving and has all the benefits of 2A3 DHTs and the GZ-34 Rectifier in an external power supply that has the most effect on the sound. I splurged and got a pair of 1932 RCA Single Plate 2A3s. There is just something sexy about 90 yr old tubes in my amp.

It is amazing how much amp you can get these days for such a little amount of money. They are all in the measurement wars, but almost all of them that I have heard are compressed, analytical and missing that "it" factor that makes music sound like a live setting. I bought the THX 789 when it was the "it" amp, and put it up for sale an hr after turning it on. I am not looking for the best objectively measured amp. I am looking for something that moves me. The Artemis, CFA3, Pure BiPolar, and any good tube amp will beat the **** out of those cheaper perfectly measuring amps in my opinion. Just my opinion... keep on keeping on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back