DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #3,871 of 3,907
I have always been curious to hear how the Ares II sounds in comparison to the Pontus II. I recently sold my Pontus II, but I will miss it. It's a spectacular sounding DAC, especially when using HQPlayer to upsample to DSD.
Pontius is supposed to have better resolution and soundstage

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #3,873 of 3,907
I recently bought an ARES II with the latest firmware in the used market and love it, but I do have a question, would coax/optical sound better than USB? I am currently using USB input but is it worth it to get a cheap DDC like topping d10s so that I could use the coax/optical input? Thanks.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #3,874 of 3,907
I recently bought an ARES II with the latest firmware in the used market and love it, but I do have a question, would coax/optical sound better than USB? I am currently using USB input but is it worth it to get a cheap DDC like topping d10s so that I could use the coax/optical input? Thanks.
lol your mileage may vary but........ from my experience both Musician Draco and Denafrips Ares II both has "meh" USB.

Sound definitely improved even with my super dirt cheap DDC (SMSL PO100).

You could probably pick up a Douk Audio U2 Pro from Amazon or something lol.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #3,875 of 3,907
lol your mileage may vary but........ from my experience both Musician Draco and Denafrips Ares II both has "meh" USB.

I thought USB sounded better than the Douk U2 Pro on my Ares II.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #3,876 of 3,907

I did see the Douk u2 pro and SMSL po100 pro on Amazon, I wish the po100 was still available though, I think they discounted it. Maybe I will pick up something similar in the future.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #3,877 of 3,907
I thought USB sounded better than the Douk U2 Pro on my Ares II.
Ah so yeah might vary from system to system lol. :sweat_smile:
I did see the Douk u2 pro and SMSL po100 pro on Amazon, I wish the po100 was still available though, I think they discounted it. Maybe I will pick up something similar in the future.
You can look at the regular Douk Audio U2 (not Pro) if you don't want to spend too much money.

It's pretty close in price to the discontinued PO100. :relaxed:

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #3,878 of 3,907
Ah so yeah might vary from system to system lol. :sweat_smile:

You can look at the regular Douk Audio U2 (not Pro) if you don't want to spend too much money.

It's pretty close in price to the discontinued PO100. :relaxed:
Good to know! I am gonna look around and see if there are any other alternatives, if not I might just get the po100 pro, I like the design more compared to the Douk u2/pro. Ares II is really a great DAC though for the price, even with USB I think it sounds pretty nice.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #3,879 of 3,907
All depends on your source. Generally noise is higher from PC, but it is not possible to predict results. You can try inexpensive converters, but before spending money it is worth to try self powered USB 2.0 hub to redirect ground loops or commercial redirectors like Ifi Defender.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #3,880 of 3,907
If you have a good streamer, usb is best for Ares II. Great DAC.

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #3,881 of 3,907
All depends on your source. Generally noise is higher from PC, but it is not possible to predict results. You can try inexpensive converters, but before spending money it is worth to try self powered USB 2.0 hub to redirect ground loops or commercial redirectors like Ifi Defender.
Makes sense, I am using PC as source but I could try my dedicated power usb hub and see if it helps. Thanks!

If you have a good streamer, usb is best for Ares II. Great DAC.
Unfortunately I am using a PC for this setup, but yeah it is a great DAC even with USB.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #3,882 of 3,907
I am also using PC as the source, but I find the issue isn't even the noise. It's more USB timing. Once you switch to a DDC with better timing and feed it with coax or optical (coax has higher resolution, optical is a bit warmer), then I find soundstage and layering open up. Things that related to timing ques.

But anyway, your mileage may vary. Maybe try something cheap and see if it helps lol.

EDIT: This is partially why the higher end DDC usually come with re-clocker.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #3,883 of 3,907
I agree with the above, except:
EDIT: This is partially why the higher end DDC usually come with re-clcoker.
Depends what you mean reclocker. USB input do not need reclocker. Masterclock is internal when connecting with USB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back