DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #3,841 of 3,909
Some of you guys fully focus on dacs... I feel like I'm getting behind. 😁 I still have to install an i2s into my dac.

Otoh I've made 2 equipment racks (cabinets for audio and video more like), 3 pairs of speakers, modified 2 tube phono-amplifiers, an amplifier and a 3rd armboard for my new turntable. And making new filters for the Maggies is next.

It's nice to know the Ares does its job well without even having to turn it off every evening. Just time to enjoy.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #3,844 of 3,909
I would be curious to hear your findings after the latest 1.3/1.8 firmware for the Ares ll. To me the sound has been transformed from what it was originally.
I had upgraded the Ares II to the first batch of the FPGA firmware update. At the time I thought it made it closer to how Draco sounds like and it's a bit smoother and more refined sounding than the old firmware.

But I've since sold it so I haven't try the recent update unfortunately. :slight_frown:
As to 'musical'; that word is so over used it hardly doesn't mean anything anymore.
That I agree, since musical is heavily dependent on preference.

For example some headphone I thought wasn't fun enough sounding to me, to my friend it just sounded just right. And to him what sounded right which I thought was boring.

Though I'd like to think if the statement is supported by quantifiable attributes it makes it easier to understand.

For example we can all understand when A has more bass quantity than B. Or when A has bigger soundstage than B.
The bottom of line is that untrained ear may interpret these distortions as more musical. This is my 1c+1c.
Lol all the gear I like measures poorly and also purposely screw up the sound by colouring it in a fun way which I like.
As for musicality, had the ares2 twice and sold it cause it was missing the R2r11 mk1 musicality and naturalness although the ares2 is more resolute. I'm a happy R2r11 owner, using it as dac plus pre to another preamp cause the tone of it's dac + headphone Amp is spot on and that's where the magic happens.
The ares2 is amazing by it self, would happily live with either.
I had a long session with Ares 2 just moment before I got my R2R-11. It is a high resolving DAC, but on the musicality or excitement scale is low comparing to my R2R-11
I regret finding out the existence of R2R-11 MK2 too late in the game. By that time it was already rare / hard to find / expensive to import.

I keep thinking for my use case if would've been perfect. Will continue keep an eye out for one.
It's nice to know the Ares does its job well without even having to turn it off every evening. Just time to enjoy.
I don't know if I read it wrong but I thought you're not supposed to turn it off? And should just leave it on 24/7 no?

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #3,845 of 3,909
I had upgraded the Ares II to the first batch of the FPGA firmware update. At the time I thought it made it closer to how Draco sounds like and it's a bit smoother and more refined sounding than the old firmware.

But I've since sold it so I haven't try the recent update unfortunately. :slight_frown:

For example some headphone I thought wasn't fun enough sounding to me, to my friend it just sounded just right. And to him what sounded right which I thought was boring.

Though I'd like to think if the statement is supported by quantifiable attributes it makes it easier to understand.

For example we can all understand when A has more bass quantity than B. Or when A has bigger soundstage than B.

Lol all the gear I like measures poorly and also purposely screw up the sound by colouring it in a fun way which I like.

I regret finding out the existence of R2R-11 MK2 too late in the game. By that time it was already rare / hard to find / expensive to import.

I keep thinking for my use case if would've been perfect. Will continue keep an eye out for one.

I don't know if I read it wrong but I thought you're not supposed to turn it off? And should just leave it on 24/7 no?
Wait what, has the mk2 been discontinued?

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #3,846 of 3,909

Thats too bad the firmware before the latest was not recieve well. Denafrips created something special with their latest version. A must try, highly recommended.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,850 of 3,909
Time to start up buying old SDACs on second hand channels :D
I mean..... I think I'll probably survive the SDAC shortage and all..... :sweat_smile:

PXL_20230717_134435876.jpg

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #3,851 of 3,909
That was a bit crooked sentence. I meant to say I leave the Ares always on and I like it that way. Also now I only use usb so no need to walk over. Since I bought the Gato amp last week I don't need to use a bunch of remotes and still walk over to turn everything off.

I use my Rose streamer for all the digital stuff as a pre-amp (TV to opt-in) and that goes to the usb on the Ares and balanced out to Gato balanced in. Two phono-amplifiers go to the RCA in. And the Gato delivers an output to my subs that follows the volume.

This all makes it so much easier. Tidier and convenient yet seperate.

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #3,852 of 3,909
Just updated my AresII to the latest f/w, and it sounds great again; that brightness is gone, SS opened up a little, and that original textured, analogue, natural sound is back... :)

Aug 1, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #3,853 of 3,909
Just updated my AresII to the latest f/w, and it sounds great again; that brightness is gone, SS opened up a little, and that original textured, analogue, natural sound is back... :)

I updated my Ares II to the latest firmware (v1.8) and it sounds really exceptional!!

Just wanted to let the Denafrips team know that they're doing a great job!

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #3,854 of 3,909
I updated my Ares II to the latest firmware (v1.8) and it sounds really exceptional!!

Just wanted to let the Denafrips team know that they're doing a great job!
I can't agree more 1.8 firmware has transformed this Dac. Listening to Snarky Puppy right now, pure bliss. Alvin and Denafrips have leveled up.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #3,855 of 3,909
I can't agree more 1.8 firmware has transformed this Dac. Listening to Snarky Puppy right now, pure bliss. Alvin and Denafrips have leveled up.

When did 1.8 come out? I upgraded mine before I sold it and can't say I really heard a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back