DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #2,446 of 3,909
The Ares2 sounds like everything is mp3 128, to be honest. Doesnt matter hi res or dsd, all sounds like a very analog and not piercing and smooth mp3 128. Sounds like an ipod 5.5 dac from 2007.

Jun 23, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,447 of 3,909
The Ares2 sounds like everything is mp3 128, to be honest. Doesnt matter hi res or dsd, all sounds like a very analog and not piercing and smooth mp3 128. Sounds like an ipod 5.5 dac from 2007.
...well, not really😁
You have the Ares2 like one day, right? Give the Ares2 and yourself some hours and you will realize it’s not the case at all.

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #2,451 of 3,909
Wouldn't any decent coax have some implementation of a high quality xformer?

All this talk of DDC is great awareness. Talking about TXCO ......my Silent Angel N8 audiofile grade Ethernet switch uses that type of clock. Yes....I'm also redundant in using two Silent Angel n8 ethernet switches (with Forester F1 LPS dc feed) as a reclocking of ethernet signal. Before people start talking about a standard in ethernet error correction.......I have done ABX blindfolded tests with NO verbal communication to my "test subjects" and the difference was consistent in how things suddenly becomes more refined. Comparing wifi and even my cheap dlink ethernet switch degraded the SQ. Both my 2 channel hifi and even my apple 4k tv on my adequate Denon 9.2 channel AVR driving Kef R300 bookshelf speakers improved in detail using such an audiograde ethernet switch. I was floored as I did all of this geek fun tests ABX blind folded hearing tests.

That Douk Audio sounds like a neat device.....
Pulse transformer is a key performance item. The other is a low jitter clock and PCB layout. Unfortunately Douk is a two sides design, without a common ground plane layer. In other words you can't expect a comparable performance with top products on the market.

As for audiophile-grade Ethernet switches, they are not reclocking audio signal, their clock is not for audio, but assembly packet frames, completely different. Similar to the USB reclockers, all marketing rubbish. These products work, as they redirect ground loops, have better power supply, thats all. An approach should be similar as with USB hubs. A dedicated switch for the DAC (no other devices connected) and a quality power supply.

With network devices there is a dilema. A cable always carries a leak and WiFi inside a device is a source of HF noise. What to do? Very simple. Disable internal WiFi and use a WiFi extender like this on the short Ethernet cable (working in wireless adapter mode). It is nice if it plugs directly to the wall socket.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,452 of 3,909
I am going to purchase 3x Denafrips IRIS, I will install them on cascade, like AlanU. If he cascade devices and his daughter is a pianist, I would jump off a window if he tells me to.

So, I am going to cascade those 3, and the signal will be so clean and transparent that I will be able to eat on it. What do you say?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #2,453 of 3,909
I am going to purchase 3x Denafrips IRIS, I will install them on cascade, like AlanU. If he cascade devices and his daughter is a pianist, I would jump off a window if he tells me to.
He has a Mutec.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,454 of 3,909
He has a Mutec.
Exactly, I know how to read sajunky, but thank you non the less. I want to do it differently, just for the sake of originality. Or should I better cascade a Singxer SU-1, then SU-2, then SU-6. Triple cascade.

Back to reality, the Ares is like a comfy pair of jeans, wasted and broken and comfortable. like a pre streched pre shrunk jeans with wholes. Like some kind of Kurko jeans, for new rich kids. Now, if you want to clean the signal of the ares before it enters the dac... considering the sound signature... maybe it is actually better, but I would rather get a Pontus, if that gives more detail with the same flow, to be honest, and be done with the usb cleaning thing cascading stuff, LOL.

Cleaning the signal for an Ares seems to me seems like buying a jeans with holes on it already, then looking for a way to close those holes and get the jeans tinted back to dark blue... no?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,455 of 3,909
Pulse transformer is a key performance item. The other is a low jitter clock and PCB layout. Unfortunately Douk is a two sides design, without a common ground plane layer. In other words you can't expect a comparable performance with top products on the market.

As for audiophile-grade Ethernet switches, they are not reclocking audio signal, their clock is not for audio, but assembly packet frames, completely different. Similar to the USB reclockers, all marketing rubbish. These products work, as they redirect ground loops, have better power supply, thats all. An approach should be similar as with USB hubs. A dedicated switch for the DAC (no other devices connected) and a quality power supply.

With network devices there is a dilema. A cable always carries a leak and WiFi inside a device is a source of HF noise. What to do? Very simple. Disable internal WiFi and use a WiFi extender like this on the short Ethernet cable (working in wireless adapter mode). It is nice if it plugs directly to the wall socket.
As we all try to extract as much as possible, we can get somewhat overly hardcore.

As for my setup. My ISP has fiber upto my house. from that point it's feeds a cable modem. Note I have 2 external IP's on my modem. I have 2 routers:

#1 for high traffic duties for my household (netflix, tablets/smartphones, desktop, IP cameras etc). This cable modem/router has it's wifi deactivated and I use 3 Ubiquiti Unifi LR access point units.

#2 I have a dedicated router specifically for my 2 channel and apple 4k tv player. This is where I use my cascaded Silent Angel n8 audiofile grade ethernet switches and Forester LPS. Wifi from my close proximity dedicated router is used for my Audirvana 3.5 wifi to control Tidal feed / DLNA setup.

I'm familiar with all of this packet discussion. If you have ever auditioned such "audiofile grade" ethernet switches USING the supplied "medical grade" switching power supply wall warts. Disclaimer, such improvements is not on par with the Re-clocking DDC. However, with such ethernet switches will hear a more analog refined, relaxed sound quality. This is easily repeatable time and time again using the ABX blind fold listening "test". Adding the LPS further changed the SQ. I would advise people to spend their budget on the best components first but retain the idea of Reclocking DDC on the top of the list. The Ethernet switch is still an upstream source in my philosophy of "clean in = clean out". I am putting serious efforts not to inject "Garbage in = Garbage out". I feed my Silent Angel Z1 music server with treated ethernet source. I will say would have difficulty dumping my Mutec setup or cascaded SA N8 Ethernet switches.

It is common fact that powerline ethernet adapters have short life. Majority of the main players in such product run hot and die within a year++. I am actually using a Moca system that uses existing COAX lines for my tv cable. That is AWESOME in throughput and decent as it does not destroy gamers in latency. My kids has an entire entertainment recreation room downstairs fully equipped with hardwire (via MOCA adapter) as well as Unifi access point/wifi. All feeds the gaming rigs, home theater setup, netflix etc etc.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,456 of 3,909
He has a Mutec.
In discussion of the time frame of stock.........to purchase #3 unit.

All of this reclocking stuff is not something that adds. This treated signal is sifting through the noise/grunge/dirt that is destroying and hiding details that already exists in the square wave music data source.

The change in SQ can be vaguely described as .....extracting details without an overload of information. As things becomes more layered and textured, this transforms a dimensional sound that is filled with musical relaxed sound while not scrubbing out frequencies.

The ESS Sabre chip in my Parasound p6 is your average "whatever" Digital to Analog converter. Not sure if others have gotten as silly and hardcore with "source". Now the P6 is incredibly detailed but what strikes me in "awe" is that it sound so relaxed and musical. Not a hint of fatigue while teleworking for 8-10+ hours. Is it the best??? Absolutely not the best.....however, it's has this 3 dimensional sound that I never expected in a cheap "freebie" internal DAC add on.

I take this re-clocking business as a separate entity. Similar to people separating a home theater setup and isolating it from a 2 channel hifi setup. Oddly the Mutec stuff is what I currently own and I isolate it as a "nice to have" supporting setup. When I view my cheap internal freebie dac in my Parasound p6 pre-amp, I now audibly hear a sound quality of a DAC in the higher tier DAC category. I know its a cheap ESS sabre chipset but audibly it was not far off from the Aqua La Scala 10 grand dac. No justification...... this is what my transparent system dictates through my Element Earth Totem speakers. Yes systems vary and mileage varies. We must use personal ears and personal gear to determine what matches well.

For certain the Ares ii DAC is a great performer but like any dac on the market. It excels in some genre and no so much in others. Also along the lines of solid state gear ownership and Vacuum tube gear. Synergy is truly a huge factor.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,457 of 3,909
As we all try to extract as much as possible, we can get somewhat overly hardcore.

As for my setup. My ISP has fiber upto my house. from that point it's feeds a cable modem. Note I have 2 external IP's on my modem. I have 2 routers:

#1 for high traffic duties for my household (netflix, tablets/smartphones, desktop, IP cameras etc). This cable modem/router has it's wifi deactivated and I use 3 Ubiquiti Unifi LR access point units.

#2 I have a dedicated router specifically for my 2 channel and apple 4k tv player. This is where I use my cascaded Silent Angel n8 audiofile grade ethernet switches and Forester LPS. Wifi from my close proximity dedicated router is used for my Audirvana 3.5 wifi to control Tidal feed / DLNA setup.

I'm familiar with all of this packet discussion. If you have ever auditioned such "audiofile grade" ethernet switches USING the supplied "medical grade" switching power supply wall warts. Disclaimer, such improvements is not on par with the Re-clocking DDC. However, with such ethernet switches will hear a more analog refined, relaxed sound quality. This is easily repeatable time and time again using the ABX blind fold listening "test". Adding the LPS further changed the SQ. I would advise people to spend their budget on the best components first but retain the idea of Reclocking DDC on the top of the list. The Ethernet switch is still an upstream source in my philosophy of "clean in = clean out". I am putting serious efforts not to inject "Garbage in = Garbage out". I feed my Silent Angel Z1 music server with treated ethernet source. I will say would have difficulty dumping my Mutec setup or cascaded SA N8 Ethernet switches.

It is common fact that powerline ethernet adapters have short life. Majority of the main players in such product run hot and die within a year++. I am actually using a Moca system that uses existing COAX lines for my tv cable. That is AWESOME in throughput and decent as it does not destroy gamers in latency. My kids has an entire entertainment recreation room downstairs fully equipped with hardwire (via MOCA adapter) as well as Unifi access point/wifi. All feeds the gaming rigs, home theater setup, netflix etc etc.
Alan: cascade is the way to go I think, double cascade all, and let us know.

Key here will be, as you said, different, not better or worse. I find the ares 2 opening a bit, sounds great for everything acoustic strings little instruments, so any unplugged session, flamenco guitar, acoustic guitars... specially with a plastic ribbon tweeter speaker like i have. In other tracks though, the vocals went way way back... certainly less tiring for the ear, easier for long hours of listening. it certainly will work for listening to music all evening I think, can't do that with the topping. Also less exciting sound though, that needs to be said too.

I like it with NOS, then I do OS 2x in Audirvana.

It kinda lacks detail in a way, still, must be burning in still.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,458 of 3,909
Alan: cascade is the way to go I think, double cascade all, and let us know.

Key here will be, as you said, different, not better or worse. I find the ares 2 opening a bit, sounds great for everything acoustic strings little instruments, so any unplugged session, flamenco guitar, acoustic guitars... specially with a plastic ribbon tweeter speaker like i have. In other tracks though, the vocals went way way back... certainly less tiring for the ear, easier for long hours of listening. it certainly will work for listening to music all evening I think, can't do that with the topping. Also less exciting sound though, that has to be said to.

I like it with NOS, then I do OS 2x in Audirvana.

It kinda lacks detail in a way, still, must be burning in still.
Try a shielded power cord.

You have a familiarity of a common solid state dac and how it reproduces music. Many cheap/cheerful dacs just provide a wall of detail and forward.

The relaxed sound may be fooling you. You may be too use to how solid state dacs commonly sound.

Do yourself a favour and download Audirvana studio. It sounds better than my lifetime Audirvana 3.5.

Jun 23, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #2,459 of 3,909
I was wondering Alan, since the Mutec can do such marvelous results with a sabre crappy dac as you said, have you tested it with say a RME delta sigma, or singxer delta sigma expensive dac, or schiit top of the line... just wondering what was the result. Maybe delta sigma can also sound better with a reclocker ddc.

UPDATE: About the Ares, I also do notice, with such voicing, boy, I can play the speakers way way louder than before. This is from day one, big time difference. With the topping, specially when closer to the speaker, ufff, can't put it loud more than one song. With the Ares 2 voicing, it asks for louder and it doesn't hurt the ear. This is a very big difference between the two, and very easy to notice it. On the other hand, for say listening to spoken word, radio, talk show, podcasts, at low level listening, the topping will be clearer I think, more legible...

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,460 of 3,909
Argh, this thread got me to try out the Singxer F1. I'm still a little skeptical of DDCs but I know coaxial sounds better than USB, usually. However, that's not an option with a computer. Anyways, the F1 is really basic it seems. It has a USB in and a coaxial out, and... I guess it runs on bus power?
I just bought a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 ... it's a reclocker + SPDIF converter. I read many good things about it (and other reclocking DDCs) and couldn't find one used, so bought it from Arthur @power Holdings. He's a great guy from whom I bought my Lake People G109-A some years ago (he's the U.S. distributor for Violectric & Lake People). He also helped me replace the volume pot's board on my V281.

Denafrips' DDCs are getting a lot of positive talk on another thread here. Their least expensive reclocking DDC is the Iris, which cost ~50% more than the Matrix. From what I can tell, Alvin is another great guy. But I decided to go with the somewhat cheaper, also well-reviewed Matrix unit.

I've used SPDIF converters for years & greatly prefer the sound of the coax input on every DAC I've had here (my really fine-sounding Oyaide DR-510 silver coax cable sealed the deal...great sound). Now I'll find out if reclocking adds much--and if so, how much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back