DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 9, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #1,891 of 3,909
Brilliant choice, ATC loudspeakers are astonishing :flag_gb:
I am using a pair of ATC SCM50PSL :)

Omigod, the SCM50PSL is one I dream about. I've heard the sound is stunning. IMO mid-sized ATCs like the SCM50PSL and Harbeths (30.2 & 40.2) are dream speakers for people who care about music...also not as huge as many floorstanders.

My days of big/heavy speakers in the living room are long over. Very soon I'll try to sell the best speakers I ever had in my home, the Vandersteen 4s. Very large & heavy, also superb sound.

Now it's all desktop. My sort-of-realistic fantasy is to get the SCM19s on the desktop. They're borderline too large and not cheap, but that's how fantasies are.

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #1,892 of 3,909
Sounds like we’re on a similar path. I’ve been tube rolling the wa22 preamp and should take delivery of a class D purifi Eigentakt Eval 1 next week to power my speakers. The thought being that the amp will get out if the way, I can tune it to taste with the preamp and pair it with a Musical DAC hence my search. Currently using RME ADI-2 but feeling like it’s currently the bottleneck in getting where I want to go.
I had been experimenting with digital amps starting from Fx-Audio Fx502S Pro and ending with ICE Power 125ASX2 module. Both give impressive an initial whoow effect, but long-time listening it brings a fatigue. It was a time where I had to replace all my gear, and I didn't know whether it was something wrong with me or the amp or second-hand speakers or Topping D30 as a source. Nobsound 8xTDA1387 has instantly replaced Topping, but not removing a problem completely. I was going to enter Purify route, fortunately I had a chance to test non-expensive Denon PMA-520AE, it solved problem completely.

When Audio GD R2R-11 arrived I retested D30 and these digital amps, all three of them (separately) kill satisfaction after 20 minutes of use. R2R-11 receive to much brightness in the upper frequency range, it starts from midrange progressively. But it seems timbre and texture is generally flawed, also in the low range, similar to Delta Sigma DACs. I plan to use 125ASX2 for a subwoofer with electronic crossover, it is probably the best usage of digital amps.

It is a warning!

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,893 of 3,909
Sounds like we’re on a similar path. I’ve been tube rolling the wa22 preamp and should take delivery of a class D purifi Eigentakt Eval 1 next week to power my speakers. The thought being that the amp will get out if the way, I can tune it to taste with the preamp and pair it with a Musical DAC hence my search. Currently using RME ADI-2 but feeling like it’s currently the bottleneck in getting where I want to go.
I'm thinking something is wrong with your setup. The RME DAC is one of the most musical mainstream DACs available. It requires some setup to work well though.

You are running the RME at 100% into your WA22 and using the volume control on the Woo, right?

Have you listened directly out of the RME to compare?

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,894 of 3,909
I'm thinking something is wrong with your setup. The RME DAC is one of the most musical mainstream DACs available. It requires some setup to work well though.

You are running the RME at 100% into your WA22 and using the volume control on the Woo, right?

Have you listened directly out of the RME to compare?

I’m not suggesting that the RME sounds bad. I think it’s of the best D/S DACs available, but I want to hear for myself if there’s magic in the older R-2R tech. In terms of what I’m hoping to achieve it’s mostly in depth.

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,895 of 3,909
I’m not suggesting that the RME sounds bad. I think it’s of the best D/S DACs available, but I want to hear for myself if there’s magic in the older R-2R tech. In terms of what I’m hoping to achieve it’s mostly in depth.
Oh. Well, R2R is not necessarily older. I think the RME hits the sweet spot for being resolving yet musical. I have said many times I think it's the best thousand dollars anybody will ever spend on audio gear. There are tons and tons of DACs available and the good R2R DACs start around 1500 USD I think. It could be an expensive journey.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,896 of 3,909
After using the Ares 2 for a couple of days, i ve decided to sell my D90. Sad to see that thing go but the music coming out of the Ares 2 is so natural with spacious sound stage and smooth mids and vocals. However, I have always played with the idea of having a secondary dac as a backup and also to connect a third amp ( gsx-mini and elise connected to Ares 2, also have a LP). What kinda dac should i look into?

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,897 of 3,909
After using the Ares 2 for a couple of days, i ve decided to sell my D90. Sad to see that thing go but the music coming out of the Ares 2 is so natural with spacious sound stage and smooth mids and vocals. However, I have always played with the idea of having a secondary dac as a backup and also to connect a third amp ( gsx-mini and elise connected to Ares 2, also have a LP). What kinda dac should i look into?
RME is difficult to beat. Hugely flexible, parametric EQ, nice metering, and handles very high rate PCM and DSD. One of the most musical chipdacs I have heard.
It has balanced and SE output.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,898 of 3,909

if you like the topping, I’d find the cheapest modern one that has the features you’re looking for. I think for the most part and with very little exception, all of the D/S dacs that measure well sound similar.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,899 of 3,909
if you like the topping, I’d find the cheapest modern one that has the features you’re looking for. I think for the most part and with very little exception, all of the D/S dacs that measure well sound similar.
I am selling the topping because i dont like the sound of it compared to my Ares 2. I am not looking to buy the same. I am leaning more towards a multibit Schiit or equivalent.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #1,900 of 3,909
I am selling the topping because i dont like the sound of it compared to my Ares 2. I am not looking to buy the same. I am leaning more towards a multibit Schiit or equivalent.
Do you have a portable dac/amp yet? Something like a Chord Mojo could give you a different sounding DAC and also provide you with a mobile solution at the same time.

Jan 10, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,901 of 3,909
Do you have a portable dac/amp yet? Something like a Chord Mojo could give you a different sounding DAC and also provide you with a mobile solution at the same time.
If i go portable, then i want a All in one solution like a sony walkman. I work at a hospital and for ridiculous hours. Most of the time, I use my phone to listen to music for the rare 5 min of break that i get LOL. Dont own a laptop or anything portable other than my phone. So portable amps and dacs were never my thing. Owned a FIIO portable amp at one time but that was 5 years ago. So desktop setup after a long day of work is my preferred method of enjoying music.

Jan 10, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,902 of 3,909

RME if you want/need all those features, topping e30 if you just want a cheap dac that sounds as good as the more expensive akm dacs, but no xlr, no features, same sound really than d90 rca or rme. Just get a linear psu for it though. khadas tone board not a bad dac either, in the cheapest realm. if money no object, rme probably the best choice... r2r, nothing beats ares 2 at the moment, but a mimby is a cheaper one... never heard that one though. BTR5 also great little dac, works also as a bluetooth receiver, has a battery, i have one, its very well built, has a little display, great little thing for 100$.

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #1,903 of 3,909
RME is difficult to beat. Hugely flexible, parametric EQ, nice metering, and handles very high rate PCM and DSD. One of the most musical chipdacs I have heard.
It has balanced and SE output.

RME 1000€, topping e30 110€, sound the exact same in a blind test. rme with many more features though, but they sound the same when no eq used, because they are the same akm well measuring dac. Just get a linear psu for the topping.

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,904 of 3,909
RME 1000€, topping e30 110€, sound the exact same in a blind test. rme with many more features though, but they sound the same when no eq used, because they are the same akm well measuring dac. Just get a linear psu for the topping.
The DAC chip doesn't have nearly as much influence as the whole implementation. If the Topping sounded nearly as good as the RME then nobody would buy the RME. I think it is incorrect (delusional) to quote audio scientology or make outlandish claims based on what chip some DAC uses. The reality is just not like that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back