DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 22, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #811 of 3,907
I am telling you that I just ordered a Denafrips Pontus for my headphone listening system (Amp Schiit Mjolnir 2 equipped with two E88CC Telefunken year 1959 Gold Selected, Headphone Final Sonorous VI, Balanced Cable Forza Audio Works Hybrid Noir) and not Just did the Burn-In post my impressions and, above all, I'll compare it, within my main system, with the Yggy and I'll post the details of this epic battle. 
gs1000.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #812 of 3,907
  I can assure you that there is no need to spend so much, I have a very high resolution system (PRE Pass Labs X1 Double Layer, Yungson JA-100 Luxury Edition Monophonic Amplifier, Usher AC-10 Speakers, Schiit Yggdrasil that listened to this Context and bypass the USB input via DDC LKS interface I can assure you that it has no rivals!) And as a player I use a fearful Auralic Aries and my system flies very high. 
wink_face.gif

nice system 

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #813 of 3,907
I'm most intrigued by the Pontus as well.  I wish they had a proper distributor in the US.  The worldwide shipping charges are pretty crazy from the official distributor (don't seem particularly inflated, but just expensive), but I'm tempted anyways.

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #815 of 3,907
  I'm most intrigued by the Pontus as well.  I wish they had a proper distributor in the US.  The worldwide shipping charges are pretty crazy from the official distributor (don't seem particularly inflated, but just expensive), but I'm tempted anyways.

Indeed you are right, I did not expect these shipping costs from a Singapore distributor, typically the costs are very small if not non-existent at Asian retailers, but considering the value for money I have thrown in this yet another adventure.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #817 of 3,907
Hi Mr Pluto.

I'm not doubting your comments at all. Just saying that in my system the ARES and USB implementation work very well.
I myself am relatively new to PC, Dac and usb based audio.

Hi soundfanz,

No worries. The USB implementation I used is simple and raw so it`s not prohibited to express a different opinion. All useful tweak & toy suggestions are always welcome.
Probably it was my spelling that amplified something too much. The Ares/laptop USB sounded pretty good and it probably beats some much more expensive highend CDP-s. Maybe even couple that I have owned, but as I don`t have these for A/B any more I`m not willing to make such statements with their makes by memory if I'm not quite sure.
I´m not computer noob but there may also be a things and tweaks (aside of nice digital transport) that may greatly help.
All suggestions for a budget digital transport are also welcome!
atsmile.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #819 of 3,907
  Very nice read.
Nice set up too. I love your stand, looks like a nice solid piece!
I recently made a new stand for my GS-X Mk2/BHSE from 1-3/4" solid butcher block with a 1/4" glass top.
I also placed a black masonite board behind the back legs so the cables aren't visible (running through the trough) coming from my equipment on top of my gas fireplace.

Thanks Joseph69!
You have a great setup and interesting rack design also.
gs1000.gif

My pics are a bit old. For now the 11mm granite is gone and every piece incl. Ares has it`s personal isolation platform. I took the time and studied vibration control theories a bit. It seems that despite great mass a plain granite is not the best under components because it reflects some frequencies and tends to ring. My DIY platforms combine different materials in several layers and have oak sides that match my table. If I take the pictures one day I will upload my Ares siting on it`s throne.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #820 of 3,907
One thing to note . Im having much better SQ through Singxer F1 then straight into Ares.

Interesting finding. One would expect similar performance because the USB chip is the same XMOS U208. Perhaps the Crystek clocks in the F1 make the difference? I actually have an F1 but never thought to try it with the Ares.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #821 of 3,907
Curious if any Ares owners have tried up-sampled DSD 512 files on HQ Player and if they experienced any  
benefits. Been reading forums saying great results are had doing this with T&A and Holo Spring dacs. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #823 of 3,907
Slex,

I see that your findings on burn-in and sonics match with mine. Two clocks can't go wrong in the same way....:wink:

With abandant of caps in it. The change in sonic took a while to bloom i guess:grin:

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #824 of 3,907
Interesting finding. One would expect similar performance because the USB chip is the same XMOS U208. Perhaps the Crystek clocks in the F1 make the difference? I actually have an F1 but never thought to try it with the Ares.

My USB out of my window pc as follow:

Ifi idefender( powered by LPS and balance transformer)--USB cable----Musical Paradise MP1-U ( USB regulated Battery Supply ) ---ifi iSilencer---USB cable--ifi ipurifier2(powered by MP-U1)---Singxer F1 ( powered by MP-U1)---Coax cable---ifi ispdif( powered by LPS and balance transformer,same as idefender)--ARES:grinning:

Above chain is most optimized for me:grinning:. 3X power filtration from my Window laptop.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #825 of 3,907
Thanks Joseph69!
You have a great setup and interesting rack design also.:gs1000smile:

My pics are a bit old. For now the 11mm granite is gone and every piece incl. Ares has it`s personal isolation platform. I took the time and studied vibration control theories a bit. It seems that despite great mass a plain granite is not the best under components because it reflects some frequencies and tends to ring. My DIY platforms combine different materials in several layers and have oak sides that match my table. If I take the pictures one day I will upload my Ares siting on it`s throne. :D :D :D

My DIY isolation platform. Bamboo Tea Tray filled with xtra fine silica sand:grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back