DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 23, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #841 of 3,909
I've also just ordered a black Terminator. 

Congratulations! I hope You enjoy it! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #842 of 3,909
I have ebony cones/bases with brass tips under Ares and pre platform. Under my amp and spinner platform I use DIY blocks similar to:
http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Isoblocks/products/1/

My vibration control thing is quite fresh so I will probably experiment with steel cones and many other tweaks (that won`t break a bank) aswell. So it will be a fun experimenting...... :bigsmile_face:

You will notice on Ares that on transformer's side its quite heavy with unbalance weight distribution. I have 2 cones supporting it and 1 at the opposite side.

Yes i have those audioquest isopads on 3 x amplifiers. Quite reasonably priced and stable.

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #843 of 3,909
  Mr, Pluto,

I am a new member but have been reading here for years now. Your assessment of the Ares has finally put me over the edge and I will be ordering one. I currently run one of the first introduced budget R2R dacs, the Metrum Octave which I believe I paid about $1000.00 U.S. dollars for about 5 years ago. 

While I haven't seen a comparison between the two I get the feeling from other reviews of other dacs, I have a very good chance of being happy with an Ares dac.

May I ask for just a bit more opinion on how the treble compares to other dacs you have had in your system? One of the issues I have had is harsh top end even with the changing of many amps, pre amps, sources and dacs. So, I'm looking for a dac that can tame that harshness down a bit, but of course still deliver on the rest of the goodness I'm used to hearing. 

And also I'm very exited for you with your happiness torwards your new purchase, That is what this audio journey is all about no matter where we live on this wonderful planet of ours. I happen to live in Seattle WA. and while it is a pretty big city it falls very short in regards to places you can audition and buy good audiophile equipment, very sad really. 

Take Care and enjoy your journey!

Greg

Hi Greg,
Thanks for a nice words and Congrats on your purchase !
beerchug.gif

The top end of Ares is not harsh at all. I first considered CAL Alpha or Sigma because they are known as warm/tubey sounding old DAC`s and I thought it will be good because the signal from TV is not the best as we know. Now with Ares it is absolutely listenable the nice deep bass and velvety upper-range will not scratch your ear a bit. It`s pleasure easy listen that tonality of reminds me Accuphase house sound in a good way.

But beware, out of box without burn-in the highs are quite horrible. This transforms totally after 50h.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #847 of 3,909
But vinshineaudio need to polish them web side..

Following Pontus description:
1. Customized XMOS XU208 USB Interface
USB (Amanero USB I2S)

So which one is correct?

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #848 of 3,909
Soekris has released some interesting R2R DACs to complicate the party...

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #849 of 3,909
Definitely try to make it here if you can  http://www.head-fi.org/t/842402/seattle-meet-at-bottleheadquarters-05-06-2017/30#post_13448964
I won't be able to attend, but you'll likely be able to hear the Spring DAC.  I am curious as how my Spring DAC compares to these latest R2Rs.  

If you find places in Seattle let me know.  I know there are a number of places to hear speakers and speaker amps, but as far as headphone related gear I don't know.

Quote:
  Mr, Pluto,

I am a new member but have been reading here for years now. Your assessment of the Ares has finally put me over the edge and I will be ordering one. I currently run one of the first introduced budget R2R dacs, the Metrum Octave which I believe I paid about $1000.00 U.S. dollars for about 5 years ago. 

While I haven't seen a comparison between the two I get the feeling from other reviews of other dacs, I have a very good chance of being happy with an Ares dac.

May I ask for just a bit more opinion on how the treble compares to other dacs you have had in your system? One of the issues I have had is harsh top end even with the changing of many amps, pre amps, sources and dacs. So, I'm looking for a dac that can tame that harshness down a bit, but of course still deliver on the rest of the goodness I'm used to hearing. 

And also I'm very exited for you with your happiness torwards your new purchase, That is what this audio journey is all about no matter where we live on this wonderful planet of ours. I happen to live in Seattle WA. and while it is a pretty big city it falls very short in regards to places you can audition and buy good audiophile equipment, very sad really. 

Take Care and enjoy your journey!

Greg

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #850 of 3,909
Hello WNBC, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Unfortunately I will be having major back surgery on May 5th so will be out for awhile. Regarding your question about places to hear headphone gear I'm afraid I don't know. At the risk of being cast out I have to say I'm not really a headphone guy but listen to speakers in a dedicated building purposefully built as an audio room. With that said I always enjoy reading what the folks here have to say about USB/SPDIF converters, dacs and the other devises such as the Regen which I also own. I find the people here very knowledgeable and for the most part friendly so thought I would join. Thank you again for pointing this meet out as I would have liked to have gone to it.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #851 of 3,909
Just wondering for those lucky fews who had ordered the Terminator or other DENAFRIPS' newer Dacs have any new insight/update for share? :) (I too had been egerly thinking/waiting to maybe give their lower model a try)

Gfisk, all the best to your upcoming surgery!

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #852 of 3,909
Wishing you a speedy recovery after the back surgery.

I am going to be setting up a small speaker room in the near future so I might need to pick your brain as I have been primarily a headphone guy.

Hello WNBC, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Unfortunately I will be having major back surgery on May 5th so will be out for awhile. Regarding your question about places to hear headphone gear I'm afraid I don't know. At the risk of being cast out I have to say I'm not really a headphone guy but listen to speakers in a dedicated building purposefully built as an audio room. With that said I always enjoy reading what the folks here have to say about USB/SPDIF converters, dacs and the other devises such as the Regen which I also own. I find the people here very knowledgeable and for the most part friendly so thought I would join. Thank you again for pointing this meet out as I would have liked to have gone to it.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #853 of 3,909
Thank you hirc49 and WNBC for the well wishes, very kind of both of you indeed!

WNBC, I would be happy to give you input on preamp amp combos and or speakers. Let me know what your budget and room is like and we can go from there. If you are on a budget there are a lot of choices these days with integrated amps and bookshelf type speaker set ups that are really amazing for the money.

I don't see how to PM people on here, maybe because I don't have enough posts? Anyway, thanks to both of you again for the well wishes and hopefully it will be a success.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #854 of 3,909
I would upload some pictures but direct cell phone uploads doesn't seem to be doing me any good at the moment.

I have received the first shipment of a Denafrips Pontus. It's been playing for 12 hours now, so far so good but I'll do critical listening at 100hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back