DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3,031 of 3,907
Just avoid stuff like this. To save money, it would be WAAAAAAY better to buy Pi2AES or at least DigiOne. It would also save a lot of your nerve cells :relieved:
Pi stuff is too noisy

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #3,034 of 3,907
Ifi Zen Stream does not have analog out because it doesn't have a dac like Bluesound Node. It is a pure streamer that has only SPDIF and USB out. I have tried it with Ares II and Pontus II and the result is excellent. It is day and night compared to Bluesound. I was not expecting that changing the streamer would have such impact on sound. However, if software is important for you, then ZS is not for you. No other streamer can compete with Bluesound on software
My bad, I didn't go far enough, I wasn't looking at the Stream. Roon isn't mandatory. I have two endpoints, but I can just stream Tidal too. Seems you can still probably do roon it's just not certified. But yes, that is an easy solution. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,035 of 3,907
I don't think I can answer that question because it is so undefined. I don't even know what YOU mean with 'amp'. Probably not the most common definition.

If you want real advice; ask a real question. What is your definition (preferably in complete sentences without abbreviations), what do you want to drive with it, what power do you need, what are your preferences in sound, tonality, looks, size, connections etc etc. What are you comparing it to? The price also makes it so hard to recommend anything. There is so much competition. And also, price doesn't mean anything without context.

If I had a 1000 $ I wouldn't spend it on an amplifier. Or save up for more. It's really hard to tell if and how much of an upgrade you would make and how long you would be happy or satisfied with it. How happy can you be with something 'someone on a forum recommended' compared to finding the grail on your quest?
https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-3

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #3,036 of 3,907
Hey @szore ! good to see you here and congrats on the Ares II! Hmm... I am not sure how much and if it is available where you are, but I am partial to the Phatlab RASA. I recall it is not that far from the budget. I have heard very good things about the Singxer Class A amp as well. And that one is definitely under $1K. :)
https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-3

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #3,037 of 3,907
So I took the plunge: After a lot of research and hemming and hawing, I ordered the Schiit Jotunheim 2 and the Ares dac! Can't wait to see what this can do. Unfortunatley the Schiit is on back order due to a shortage of parts...they are saying 6-8 weeks for delivery!!!

What USB cables and XLR to XLR interconnects are folks using for the Ares? I know about the Moon Audio Silver and Black dragon usb, wondering what else people like?

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #3,038 of 3,907
So I took the plunge: After a lot of research and hemming and hawing, I ordered the Schiit Jotunheim 2 and the Ares dac! Can't wait to see what this can do. Unfortunatley the Schiit is on back order due to a shortage of parts...they are saying 6-8 weeks for delivery!!!

What USB cables and XLR to XLR interconnects are folks using for the Ares? I know about the Moon Audio Silver and Black dragon usb, wondering what else people like?
Heard that the Jotunheim 2 is warm and analog sounding, I think it'd pair well with the Ares II. Interested to hear your thoughts on the matchup.

I use the Shunayata venom usb > ifi igalvanic > idefender > wireworld starlight 8 usb > ipurifier > Ares II > wireworld silver eclipse 8 xlrs > audio-gd master19

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #3,039 of 3,907
Heard that the Jotunheim 2 is warm and analog sounding, I think it'd pair well with the Ares II. Interested to hear your thoughts on the matchup.

I use the Shunayata venom usb > ifi igalvanic > idefender > wireworld starlight 8 usb > ipurifier > Ares II > wireworld silver eclipse 8 xlrs > audio-gd master19
Wow, that's an impressive signal chain! You use both ifi galvanic AND the idefender? Interesting.

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #3,040 of 3,907
Wow, that's an impressive signal chain! You use both ifi galvanic AND the idefender? Interesting.
I got the idefender first and was so impressed at what it was able to do that I got the igalvanic. Was about to return the idefender but found that it sounded even better with it in the chain so I decided to keep it.

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #3,041 of 3,907
Hope you'll get it sooner. :wink:

As for me, i used FAW USB Cable, Qued Reference Toslink to CD Player and Duelund/ KLEI Bullets DIY Cable to Amp. No need for XLR in this chain in my modest opinion.

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #3,042 of 3,907
I use the USB cable which came with the Aune X1 headphone amp/dac over ten years ago, cable is workable and very transparent, no big issues. I guess chinese products match well with each other? Should I upgrade my cable? Any suggestions in the price range of 20-50 dollars/euros?

Jan 28, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #3,044 of 3,907

Users who are viewing this thread

Back