DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 28, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #3,046 of 3,907
This Ares community seems great, really glad to be a part of it now. Thanks for your recommendations! But @JaquesGelee , I do not see the Duelund/ KLEI Bullets DIY Cable...can you provide a link? And that is an intriguing statement that you dont feel "the need" for XLR...What do you mean by that?

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,047 of 3,907
This Ares community seems great, really glad to be a part of it now. Thanks for your recommendations! But @JaquesGelee , I do not see the Duelund/ KLEI Bullets DIY Cable...can you provide a link? And that is an intriguing statement that you dont feel "the need" for XLR...What do you mean by that?
You couldn't find a cable like this, cause it is made by myself with Duelund and KLEI "Bullet" RCA Plugs. 😅

There are indeed Duelund interconnect cables available, but it's cheaper to diy.

For me it isn't necessary cause of the Amp i used, my opinion about XLR in short length at all and especially internal circuits of components.

But again, this only my modest opinion. I'm tired to discuss, if somebody disagree. Everyone on his own. ✌🏻

Cheers

#enjoymusic

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #3,048 of 3,907
Never mind. I had a question but I answered it.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #3,050 of 3,907
The answer is 42

I'm going to respectfully disagree and say the true answer is and always will be...

bill-and-ted-69-dude-2.gif

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,051 of 3,907
Recommended BNC cables to use with Terminator & Gaia?

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #3,052 of 3,907
I just received Ares 2, plugged into Win PC, installed driver and lost volume control thru Windows. Just like it always operate in ASIO mode, even tho it is not. I can control volume within apps like Foobar or Qubuz, but no Windows native control with their driver. Any idea on how to fix that?

I have the same problem, did you manage to fix it?

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #3,053 of 3,907
I think its just like that, one of its quirks I guess.

I can control the volume level through windows but it doesn't do anything whether I set it to 1 or 100. However, 0 mutes it.

I think its just auto set to max. I just use the amp to control volume.

Jan 31, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #3,054 of 3,907
https://www.partsconnexion.com/

i also built rca/coax cable using duelund 16ga and klei rca.

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #3,055 of 3,907
Nothing to fix. Otherwise sound would go through the Windows mixer, it deteriorate sound. In a rare (in my case) situation I want to mix music with other sources, I select in Foobar device xxx (default) and then Windows sound control works. It is called WASAPI shared.

EDIT: Forgotten to add that the latest Foobar version can integrate volume control with Windows 10. When you activate this option, it will link Windows control slider with Foobar (I expect) also for WASAPI Exclusive and ASIO drivers. It is done, as multimedia keyboards have shortcuts for volume control, very convenient feature.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #3,056 of 3,907
The problem has just been solved for you. Windows calls it a feature, but the windows mixer is a problem. It interferes with the bits that are sent to your dac. When you reduce the volume you lose bitdepth, or in audio terms, dynamic range. Among other problems.

The Ares is not a computer toy. Denafrips focuses only on soundquality with the fewest and best parts possible with all distractions out of the way. To get the best sound you need a bit perfect transmission over usb. This also means the only, and best place for a volume control is in the (pre-)amplifier. Just like you don't use a dimmer on the 10kV power line to dim your lights. (edit: removed car throttle; wrong analogy)

(this is an elaboration of what ^ said :wink:)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #3,057 of 3,907
Or use your breaks to control the speed of your car while holding the pedal to the metal all the time. Well, some do but that isn't very safe or economic.
I do... When I want to enter controlled slip of rear wheels on the corner. For fast U-turn too. :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #3,058 of 3,907
I understand, thing is that my right ear is hearing less th n my left ear. I cannot correct this by software then unfortunately.

Feb 2, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #3,059 of 3,907
After a long time of enjoying with the Ares II, I hooked up the Topping D30 today for fun. OMG. Disaster. This is not to be listened to. Sound of instruments .... plastic, without real fading ...Soundstage 2D...flat...
Ares is really far, far better.

regards,
Simon

Feb 2, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #3,060 of 3,907
After a long time of enjoying with the Ares II, I hooked up the Topping D30 today for fun. OMG. Disaster. This is not to be listened to. Sound of instruments .... plastic, without real fading ...Soundstage 2D...flat...
Ares is really far, far better.

regards,
Simon
The D30 is half the price of the Ares II, to be expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back