Decware // Reference ZMF OTL
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #92 of 104
I don't think I ever toggle that switch off...
I generally bypass for vocal, rock, bassy stuff, etc, and don't bypass for electronic, classical...stuff where I want it sharper.

May 1, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #93 of 104
May 1, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #94 of 104
May 1, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #95 of 104
Haven't looked, but does anyone know what type of fuse the ZMF Decware uses? Thanks.

May 2, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #96 of 104
Haven't looked, but does anyone know what type of fuse the ZMF Decware uses? Thanks.
230V Version has 1.6A Fast (5x20mm). That is what I had in my amp.

May 2, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #97 of 104
Presumably, a 115V version would have 3.15A Fast (5x20mm).

May 12, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #98 of 104
Thanks! some cool ideas there. Enjoyed reading it 🙏
Hey goldwerger,
How do you like the Caldera on the Decware Taboo MK IV? I use my Caldera with the Silver Fox (Cen.Grand) but I am going back to the Decware ZMF OTL + Auteur/HD 800 S more often than to the SS. I wish I could use the Caldera on a tube amp as well.... so, is the Taboo IV a good choice?

I am very surprised but I am enjoying the Sennheiser HD800 S from the ZMF OTL a lot! - I do not hear the lack of bass everybody talks about.

May 12, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #99 of 104
Hey goldwerger,
How do you like the Caldera on the Decware Taboo MK IV? I use my Caldera with the Silver Fox (Cen.Grand) but I am going back to the Decware ZMF OTL + Auteur/HD 800 S more often than to the SS. I wish I could use the Caldera on a tube amp as well.... so, is the Taboo IV a good choice?

I am very surprised but I am enjoying the Sennheiser HD800 S from the ZMF OTL a lot! - I do not hear the lack of bass everybody talks about.

The HD800 is wonderufl on the ZMF OTL. That, and the ADX5000, are two headphones with a reputation lacking in bass; when used with this amp, one realized what they usually lack is a great chain (sometimes, when great gear doesn't sound great it's because it reveals a weaker link in the chain). This amp's lushness provides that extra body while keeping everything clean and fast.

Regarding the Caldera, yes! In fact, the Decware/ZMF OTL as premp into the Decware Taboo amp is my msot favorite combo to drive the Caldera. It is absolutely sublime. The sense of space is just wonderful in this setup. I have both amps side by side and conntected to each other. When I listen to the AC/AO/VO, HD800, or ADX5000, I plug them to the OTL, and when I listen to planar headphones, mostly the Caldera, I turn them both on and plug the headphones to the Taboo (and volume control from the OTL).

I can't recommend this setup enough!

(note, my Decware is an older version, but the same applies to the current one which I also demo-ed)
1715541603018.png

May 12, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #100 of 104
The HD800 is wonderufl on the ZMF OTL. That, and the ADX5000, are two headphones with a reputation lacking in bass; when used with this amp, one realized what they usually lack is a great chain (sometimes, when great gear doesn't sound great it's because it reveals a weaker link in the chain). This amp's lushness provides that extra body while keeping everything clean and fast.

Regarding the Caldera, yes! In fact, the Decware/ZMF OTL as premp into the Decware Taboo amp is my msot favorite combo to drive the Caldera. It is absolutely sublime. The sense of space is just wonderful in this setup. I have both amps side by side and conntected to each other. When I listen to the AC/AO/VO, HD800, or ADX5000, I plug them to the OTL, and when I listen to planar headphones, mostly the Caldera, I turn them both on and plug the headphones to the Taboo (and volume control from the OTL).

I can't recommend this setup enough!

(note, my Decware is an older version, but the same applies to the current one which I also demo-ed)
I see you also have the Auris.., I had the Auris 2SE (the wood version) and I regret selling it. I am considering the Taboo IV but I still have a Silver Fox to decide its future...

May 12, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #101 of 104
I see you also have the Auris.., I had the Auris 2SE (the wood version) and I regret selling it. I am considering the Taboo IV but I still have a Silver Fox to decide its future...

yes that one has a very specific purpose for me - it drives the AT L5000 (and AWKG) the best of any amp. It's a super specific use case, and if it wasn't such an incredible synergy I'd have replaced it as it takes space where I could explore some other amps I'm keen on getting my hads on. But.. the L5000 on the Nirvana is one of the best things I enjoy most, and so that is here to stay for now.. it's the quietest amp I have ever had (including SS amps) and very powerful. It's very center image focused, so not great with big soundstage (like the Aegis is, for example) but it offers a very crisp and fast attack and sounds very "tight".

That said, the Decware/ZMF combo above is my #1 choice for the Caldera specifically.

May 12, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #102 of 104
Which RCA interconnects do you use?

May 12, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #103 of 104
May 13, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #104 of 104
For anyone interested in rollin gthe 5687 tubes (with adapters), came across this recent YT showing some of these tubes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back