Decware // Reference ZMF OTL
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #76 of 93
Well, the past month or so has been spent tube rolling with this wonderful amplifier. I have been rather surprised at the dramatic differences some tubes have, it has been a joy to experiment!

The first swap (aside from using the Emission Labs 5U4G or an Elrog 5U4G) was to slot in my Tung-sol 5687 (once the adapters arrived). Those were a wonderful upgrade to detail, clarity and space.

Next up was swapping between Philips ECG JAN 6922 and the RCA 6BQ7A. I was surprised how much of a difference in sound I heard going between those two little tubes. The Philips was fun and dynamic while the RCA was rather airy and spacious. Curiously the RCA lost a lot of low end and emphasized the highs just a hair above what I like. Although that didn't last long...

After playing with those tubes, the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 arrived in the mail after a lengthy wait. This changed a few things! First, the Philips got even more fun, bassy, and just all around tubey which made for some very fun listening. Such a dramatic change with the rectifier made me interested in the changes with the RCA, so back in it went. My goodness...what joy that was. Absolutely beautiful resolution and holographic soundstage. The bass came back but was perfectly extended and controlled and didn't bleed into the mids. Oh, and the mids? Perfection. That, along with the wonderful detail in the highs made for quite the listen. I feel like my toe was tapping to music in a way that it hasn't done in a while.

After all is said and done, I think I've settled on using the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 along with the Tung-sol 5687 and RCA 6BQ7A. Just pure joy coming out of this amp right now. I loved the Atrium Open before, but this amp really takes them to another level (the AC are also a dream on it). I have some other tubes I want to try, but right now this will do just fine.
Super interesting, I will do some tube rolling in a couple of months after I get used to my current sound. But it is great to plan the road ahead - thanks!

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #77 of 93
Well, the past month or so has been spent tube rolling with this wonderful amplifier. I have been rather surprised at the dramatic differences some tubes have, it has been a joy to experiment!

The first swap (aside from using the Emission Labs 5U4G or an Elrog 5U4G) was to slot in my Tung-sol 5687 (once the adapters arrived). Those were a wonderful upgrade to detail, clarity and space.

Next up was swapping between Philips ECG JAN 6922 and the RCA 6BQ7A. I was surprised how much of a difference in sound I heard going between those two little tubes. The Philips was fun and dynamic while the RCA was rather airy and spacious. Curiously the RCA lost a lot of low end and emphasized the highs just a hair above what I like. Although that didn't last long...

After playing with those tubes, the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 arrived in the mail after a lengthy wait. This changed a few things! First, the Philips got even more fun, bassy, and just all around tubey which made for some very fun listening. Such a dramatic change with the rectifier made me interested in the changes with the RCA, so back in it went. My goodness...what joy that was. Absolutely beautiful resolution and holographic soundstage. The bass came back but was perfectly extended and controlled and didn't bleed into the mids. Oh, and the mids? Perfection. That, along with the wonderful detail in the highs made for quite the listen. I feel like my toe was tapping to music in a way that it hasn't done in a while.

After all is said and done, I think I've settled on using the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 along with the Tung-sol 5687 and RCA 6BQ7A. Just pure joy coming out of this amp right now. I loved the Atrium Open before, but this amp really takes them to another level (the AC are also a dream on it). I have some other tubes I want to try, but right now this will do just fine.
Everyone loves the Elrog tubes.... how was the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 different/better that the Elrog 5U4G?

Mar 30, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #78 of 93
Everyone loves the Elrog tubes.... how was the Philips Miniwatt GZ34 different/better that the Elrog 5U4G?

Oh, the Elrog tube is great. I loved it in other amps I have tried it in. For this application, it might have just come down to the combination of tubes I was using. It tended to sound more 'solid state' with what else I was trying out in the Decware. That can certainly be desirable! For me, personally, I have a tube amp to add some character to the chain. I want more of that tubey holographic goodness, especially since I have a solid state amp I already love. So, in the end, the GZ34 was exactly what I was looking for. That's the joy of a tube amp like this one. There are a lot of combinations to play with to find your preferred distortion (after all, that's what this all about in the end...)

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #79 of 93

To use the Tung-Sol 5687 instead of the 6N6P do you need an adaptor?

Apr 13, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #80 of 93
Apr 13, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #82 of 93
Apr 13, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #83 of 93
Congrats!

I’m still addicted to this amp. For any high impedance dynamics, it’s as good as I have it.

I simply set the gain knobs at a level that was both quiet and left enough headroom, somewhere probably around 1-2 o’clock. But frankly it doesn’t matter as much. I’d put it the lowest where you still get enough headroom with your dac and headphone.

Tung Sol 5687 remain my top choice. I found they make a big difference in clarity.

For adapters, note carefully that some are too wide to plug into the amp faceplate, so you need to stack them on top of a socket saver (building a mini babylon tower), but others fit just perfectly — get this one for easy fit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195640874664

Also, with the above tubes, I’ve found the best synergy so far with RCA 6BQ7A as the gain tube. Just a touch more grab and definition. The combo is awesome. I still enjoy the GZ34 brown base. I tried a WE422A and was too sccharine for me so I’m back to the 34.

Keep us posted on your journey! Which headphones will you be using?
Thanks! - I have the 6XX & a ZMF Auteur on order. I have tried almost all ZMF - with different amps before (Verite, Atrium, Atticus, Aelous) and I have always sold them. Now I have the Caldera which I love but it is not a good match for this amp so I use it with my Cen.Grand SIlver Fox. I am hoping the Auteur will do the trick for me on this OTL.

Apr 13, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #84 of 93
Thanks! - I have the 6XX & a ZMF Auteur on order. I have tried almost all ZMF - with different amps before (Verite, Atrium, Atticus, Aelous) and I have always sold them. Now I have the Caldera which I love but it is not a good match for this amp so I use it with my Cen.Grand SIlver Fox. I am hoping the Auteur will do the trick for me on this OTL.

Hope so!!

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #85 of 93

Those are some fine headphone choices to pair with this amp. I think you'll be rather pleased!

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #86 of 93
I'm back today wtih the VO and just love how they sound out of the Decware /ZMF OTL. I fine the VO have been a little forgotten as the Atrium and Caldera have (deservedly) gotten the llimelight over the last couple of years, but I’m reminded how good they are. If Caldera is the most dynamic like planars, the VO is the most planar like dynamic, offering great timbre coupled with speed and precision. It’s just awesome. This amp rounds them off beautifully, presenting their precision within a wonderful smooth clarity. Listening now to this album; a wonderful recording. Vocals, double bass, sax, and electric piano are beautifullyrand cohesively rendered:

1713458083544.png

Apr 18, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #87 of 93
I'm back today wtih the VO and just love how they sound out of the Decware /ZMF OTL. I fine the VO have been a little forgotten as the Atrium and Caldera have (deservedly) gotten the llimelight over the last couple of years, but I’m reminded how good they are. If Caldera is the most dynamic like planars, the VO is the most planar like dynamic, offering great timbre coupled with speed and precision. It’s just awesome. This amp rounds them off beautifully, presenting their precision within a wonderful smooth clarity. Listening now to this album; a wonderful recording. Vocals, double bass, sax, and electric piano are beautifullyrand cohesively rendered:

1713458083544.png
Totally agree!

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #88 of 93
The thing I like most about this amp is the "more cowbells" switch. I don't remember what it's actually called. But I really like having a quick way to lay on a little more seasoning for some tracks.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #89 of 93
The thing I like most about this amp is the "more cowbells" switch. I don't remember what it's actually called. But I really like having a quick way to lay on a little more seasoning for some tracks.

Cathode bypass switch.. (agree!:))

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #90 of 93
Just started listening to a new rectifier. So far so good. Initial impressions: dynamic, punchy plentiful bass, and smooth but detailed. 1957 Phillips miniwatt metal base GZ34. Tube rolling is my new hobby, I guess!:thinking:

Decware 1957 metal base Phillips miniwatt GZ34.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back