Decware csp2 vs. Woo Audio 6
Nov 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Eronel

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've freed up some change in my budget and am looking invest in another tube headphone amp I currently have the csp2+ with input voltage controls and a benchmark dac-1 pre and am equally in love with both. My cans are K701 and i have both the HD650 and DT990/600 on their way to me right now. My question is, is the wa6 different enough from the csp 2 to warrant the 600+ price tag or even the 1000+ for the se edition? What are the tonal differences ill notice between these two (Csp 2 & WA6) and are they dramatically different or only subtly so?

Thank you.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Bump, lets put it this way, if i had a choice between the WA6SE with the parts mod and later on adding the sophia rectifier and the HD800, which would give me better value for my money given my current setup?

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 10
I would stick with the Decware if I were in your shoes. You are using headphones, the K701s, that should make a good match for the OTL CSP-2, and I doubt the transformer coupled WA-6, even the SE version would be all that much better. Probably just different sounding. You will get more bang for your buck adding a different set of headphones (HD800, T1, LCD-2) than from buying a second tube amp, especially if you are already happy with the Decware, which is a very good amp regardless of price.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Hello all,

I've freed up some change in my budget and am looking invest in another tube headphone amp I currently have the csp2+ with input voltage controls and a benchmark dac-1 pre and am equally in love with both. My cans are K701 and i have both the HD650 and DT990/600 on their way to me right now. My question is, is the wa6 different enough from the csp 2 to warrant the 600+ price tag or even the 1000+ for the se edition? What are the tonal differences ill notice between these two (Csp 2 & WA6) and are they dramatically different or only subtly so?

Thank you.

I have heard both and the CSP-2 which I own and the 6 which I heard at a meet. To my ears the CSP-2 was better for my T1 both musically and more traditional SET old school sound the Woo6 had more of a solid state flavor to it. The CSP-2 is also be a stellar preamp and used as I am doing by adding a speaker ap to it the Taboo. Plus the warranty IMO are the best how can you beat lifetime and Steve Decvkert building thes for a very long time.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 10
thanks for getting back to me, i actually have to csp2/ taboo setup running Zu's Soul Superfly. Boy are they a wonder to hear. After hearing your opinions i think I'm leaning more towards a set of uber premium phones and i think ill shelve buying a woo amp until i'm really craving something different. thanks again.

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Sorry for the semi-hijack but what about the Decware cs2p vs Woo 6 for LCD-2s/650s, would they pair well with both? 

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Sorry for the semi-hijack but what about the Decware cs2p vs Woo 6 for LCD-2s/650s, would they pair well with both? 

Personal opinion is for those two headphones, if you want to use both, the WA6 is the better choice.  The CSP-2 will be better on high-impedance headphones like the 650, but the WA6 is better on the LCD-2 (IMO), and does well with higher-impedance cans too. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 10
I would say the WA6 SE would be a 'better' AMP if you put wa6 and csp2 at same league since the SP is a significant upgrade from 6, a fully upgraded wa6 is no where near the stock WA6 SE.
On the other hand CSP+ itself is very very decent amp, my friend has one and paired with lv4 upgraded PS Link III DAC which is very satisfying to him.
However, if you are looking for upgrades in terms of value over performance, headphone is always the best bang for the buck and 800 should pair very well with CSP2+..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back