Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Apr 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,081 of 1,238
Quote:
Actually, Eric, I have 3 - Leben, SLI-80 and Glenn's OTL.  The Taboo makes 4.

Only 4( 
evil_smiley.gif
 )....and you don't have room for the Taboo....It is the smallest amp you have!

Great collection David! I see an F1 is up on AGon.....

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,082 of 1,238
dminches, I'd be interested in what you found are the strengths and weaknesses of the Taboo versus the others...

TIA

Apr 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,083 of 1,238
Frank is working on his Stratus review and feels the Taboo hangs with it no problem....I like that!

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,084 of 1,238
Quote:
Frank is working on his Stratus review and feels the Taboo hangs with it no problem....

In comparing the two amps . The sounds are very different.  The Strastu is a sing ended direct heated triode. The Taboo uses a pentode tube. The stock tubes in the Stratus still provides a much wider and deeper soundstage but not as rounded as full as the tube. Swapping the tubes in the Stratus with the EML 2A3 and the 5U4G made a very noticeable step up in performance. The Taboo Mk111 is about half the price so it hold up well but the sound stage width and depth on the DNA is really in a class of it own. The Taboo for its price competes well but once the tubes are swapped in the Stratus it was clear to see what the extra money goes for. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,085 of 1,238
Quote:
Quote:
Frank is working on his Stratus review and feels the Taboo hangs with it no problem....

In comparing the two amps . The sounds are very different.  The Strastu is a sing ended direct heated triode. The Taboo uses a pentode tube. The stock tubes in the Stratus still provides a much wider and deeper soundstage but not as rounded as full as the tube. Swapping the tubes in the Stratus with the EML 2A3 and the 5U4G made a very noticeable step up in performance. The Taboo Mk111 is about half the price so it hold up well but the sound stage width and depth on the DNA is really in a class of it own. The Taboo for its price competes well but once the tubes are swapped in the Stratus it was clear to see what the extra money goes for. 

Great... Always something else to save up for!

May 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,086 of 1,238
Decware has a new product, a switcbox.  I need it.  I see that they offer capacitors to get rid of DC current.  The site didn't say what the benifits are of getting rid of DC current.  And I sure don't know.  I like that it is heavy so it will stay in place and Steve drew up some diagrams of how it can be used.  Will order it tomorrow.

May 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,087 of 1,238
I got the e-mail as well. Nice product if you have more than 2 sources for your CSP2+ or Taboo MK III.

May 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,088 of 1,238
Happy Decware owner here
dt880smile.png

I've had the CSP2 and Taboo for 4 years...

The Taboo was sent in for the Hazen-grid mod, but no headphone output yet

The CSP2 is a workhorse in my system....lots of headphone time and sometimes pre-amp in my 2channel rig
I sent the CSP2 in for the stepped attenuator, and I am thinking about sending in for the Jupiter caps

I am using 1950's 5U4G, (2) Mullard CV4109, and Telefunken E88CC in the CSP2

the Taboo has Mullard 5Z3, stock SV83 output, and Telefunken 12AU7 or Siemens 12AT7

I would really like save-up for the headphone output for the Taboo, and some Audeze LCD-3's
also would like to demo the Taboo with some Zu speakers or Decware speakers

currently, use Hornshoppe Horns + Cube sub with the Taboo....but, sits on the sidelines, because I am enamored with my Magnepan 1.7's

May 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,089 of 1,238
I ordered the Decware switch box with the capacitors, even though I don't know the benefit of having  caps.  No DC current, but what does that do for the sound?, I don't know.   I will input a DAC, receiver, and phonostage into the switchbox and output to the CSP2+.  I can run the other output to my Bob Latino Dynaco ST-120 if I need.  My CSP2+ is a preamp for a powered sub woofer too.  On second thought, I'll run the phonostage directly into the CSP2+'s other input RCAs.  

May 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,090 of 1,238
Quote:
I ordered the Decware switch box with the capacitors, even though I don't know the benefit of having  caps.  No DC current, but what does that do for the sound?, I don't know.   I will input a DAC, receiver, and phonostage into the switchbox and output to the CSP2+.  I can run the other output to my Bob Latino Dynaco ST-120 if I need.  My CSP2+ is a preamp for a powered sub woofer too.  On second thought, I'll run the phonostage directly into the CSP2+'s other input RCAs.  

Caps might add a touch of warmth.  

May 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #1,091 of 1,238
May be warmth, but AFAIK there's also a safety aspect - for your drivers I mean. Pure DC coupled amps - meaning no cap or other protection - could mean your speakers got damaged when/if upstream equipment got switched on. At clipping, pure DC gets passed through too. Either way, your sensitive drivers - which spend most of their time running at (much) less than a watt (speakers) - could suffer a large excursion that results in physical damage. Not good for future performance.

The flip side is that introducing a cap might reduce SQ, as in 'another component in the signal path'.

BTW please take with a grain of salt. All this is vaguely remembered stuff I read and heard years ago when I first got into speakers. One of my audiophile friends is an EE, but most of what he used to say back then went over my head! And, there may be other reasons for using and not using caps too, such as jazzerdave suggests.

I have no idea how or whether this applies with headphones.

May 7, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,092 of 1,238
Quote:
May be warmth, but AFAIK there's also a safety aspect - for your drivers I mean. Pure DC coupled amps - meaning no cap or other protection - could mean your speakers got damaged when/if upstream equipment got switched on. At clipping, pure DC gets passed through too. Either way, your sensitive drivers - which spend most of their time running at (much) less than a watt (speakers) - could suffer a large excursion that results in physical damage. Not good for future performance.

The flip side is that introducing a cap might reduce SQ, as in 'another component in the signal path'.

BTW please take with a grain of salt. All this is vaguely remembered stuff I read and heard years ago when I first got into speakers. One of my audiophile friends is an EE, but most of what he used to say back then went over my head! And, there may be other reasons for using and not using caps too, such as jazzerdave suggests.

I have no idea how or whether this applies with headphones.

I believe you're correct on your points, but for a switching box safety shouldn't really be as big of concern.  All of that should be in the final amplifier (if it's not, the switch box being safer won't make a lick of difference).  As with your qualifications, I'm not an EE, but my brother is.  I run these things by him, but there's always a chance I'm not asking the right questions (or he's not fully paying attention to them).  

May 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,093 of 1,238
^ Duh - good point!!

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,094 of 1,238
DM945's are in the house!

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,095 of 1,238
Congrats Eric. Looking good. Should we let you have some time with them before demanding impressions? :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back