Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Jun 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,111 of 1,238
The L/R output tubes are the stock Russian 6N1P's. The front is a Genalax Golden Lion 6922.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,112 of 1,238
Quote:
The L/R output tubes are the stock Russian 6N1P's. The front is a Genalax Golden Lion 6922.

Interesting.  I didn't realize it was good to mix them that way.  I have a spare Amperex Orange Globe that'll go to good use then.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,113 of 1,238
Steve actually endorsed the combo! The 6922 gives things a bit more punch. All 6N1P's are airier....

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #1,114 of 1,238
So, I have had the Taboo MK III for a month now and I can safely say that it is a great amp. With the HD800's it provides great depth and punch. The detail is terrific.

However, It is even better when paired with the CSP2+!

The combo has so much authority; more substance. I have fun going from either unit individually, then back to the pair together. Both are individually strong with the HD800's. Together, they are hands down better.

The combo has plenty of power to run the DM945's as well. I can't believe how loud 4 watts can be. 

Fun times!

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,115 of 1,238
Quote:
So, I have had the Taboo MK III for a month now and I can safely say that it is a great amp. With the HD800's it provides great depth and punch. The detail is terrific.

The combo has so much authority; more substance. I have fun going from either unit individually, then back to the pair together. Both are individually strong with the HD800's. Together, they are hands down better.

The combo has plenty of power to run the DM945's as well. I can't believe how loud 4 watts can be. 

Fun times!

Very nice, my friend.  I'm coming up on a month with my Taboo as well, and feel the same way about mine.  I listen to it around 2 or 3 hours a day, and it never fails to make me smile.

Despite how well you claim the CSP2+ and Taboo pair, I refuse to check the Wait List 
size]

Jun 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,116 of 1,238
Quote:
Quote:

Fun times!

Very nice, my friend.  I'm coming up on a month with my Taboo as well, and feel the same way about mine.  I listen to it around 2 or 3 hours a day, and it never fails to make me smile.

Despite how well you claim the CSP2+ and Taboo pair, I refuse to check the Wait List 
size]

I admire your discipline!

Jul 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #1,117 of 1,238
Quote:
I admire your discipline!

I failed.  I went to see if there might be any news on the CSP3+ and "mystery amp" and the next thing I knew I was looking at the wait list.  I dunno what happened.

Anyway, it sounds like Steve is getting close to done with the mystery amp.  He says he likes it and is comparing it to the other TOR amps.  Looks like it won't be long now.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #1,118 of 1,238
I hope this Decware appreciation thread isn't limited to just their tube amps.  Props to Steve with his Zen Head portable amp.  It's a very well implemented amp.  I wonder if any of the past owners didn't open up the Zen Head to match with their equipment.  This is my second ownership and I remember my first one that I bought off the forums a few years back was all set low and I foolishly sold it because I thought it severely lacked dynamics (I realize now that the original owner must have had very sensitive headphones/earphones or happened to be a very low volume listener).  All it takes is a philips screwdriver and a flip of the toggle switch on the board to wake up the magic.  Looks like the price went up to $429 (gotta luv inflation).

Sep 14, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,119 of 1,238
  I hope this Decware appreciation thread isn't limited to just their tube amps.  Props to Steve with his Zen Head portable amp.  It's a very well implemented amp.  I wonder if any of the past owners didn't open up the Zen Head to match with their equipment.  This is my second ownership and I remember my first one that I bought off the forums a few years back was all set low and I foolishly sold it because I thought it severely lacked dynamics (I realize now that the original owner must have had very sensitive headphones/earphones or happened to be a very low volume listener).  All it takes is a philips screwdriver and a flip of the toggle switch on the board to wake up the magic.  Looks like the price went up to $429 (gotta luv inflation).

I've always been curious about the portable Zen.  Glad to hear it's as good as their tube amps.  $429 isn't too much either.

Sep 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #1,120 of 1,238
There was one in the for sale recently for $200....

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,121 of 1,238
New Torii MKIV is ready, and available until post ZenFest at the current cost of the Torii MKIII.  Despite owning a  CSP2+, Taboo II, and a Torii MKIII, I placed an order, and yeah gotta sell some stuff.  Thread on it is here.  Apparently Steve finds it very close to the Mystery Amp which will be debuted at ZenFest.  My MKIII is 4/8 and I really wanted 8/16 and was debating sending it for upgrade, but decided to go for the IV.   Now my secondary system will be built around the MKIII rather than the Taboo or mini Tori which was my other thought.    

BTW if you order the MKIV now, hear the new Mystery Amp and want it, you retain your place in line and they'll just build the Mystery Amp instead.  Receive your Torii MKIV and then hear the mystery amp and are in lust?  Let them know in the first 30 days, they'll build you a Mystery Amp, and let you keep the MK IV until it's ready to ship.  That's the quality of customer service Decware offers.   

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #1,122 of 1,238
  New Torii MKIV is ready, and available until post ZenFest at the current cost of the Torii MKIII.  Despite owning a  CSP2+, Taboo II, and a Torii MKIII, I placed an order, and yeah gotta sell some stuff.  Thread on it is here.  Apparently Steve finds it very close to the Mystery Amp which will be debuted at ZenFest.  My MKIII is 4/8 and I really wanted 8/16 and was debating sending it for upgrade, but decided to go for the IV.   Now my secondary system will be built around the MKIII rather than the Taboo or mini Tori which was my other thought.    

BTW if you order the MKIV now, hear the new Mystery Amp and want it, you retain your place in line and they'll just build the Mystery Amp instead.  Receive your Torii MKIV and then hear the mystery amp and are in lust?  Let them know in the first 30 days, they'll build you a Mystery Amp, and let you keep the MK IV until it's ready to ship.  That's the quality of customer service Decware offers.   

Steve isn't making it easy to stay off the list
mad.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,123 of 1,238
No kiddin'.  Me, myself, and I had a long serious discussion.  The turning point was he reports on his late night listening with MKIV and the Mystery Amp.  Along with when one might suit you better than the other.  The upgrades sound phenomenal, and until he went and did this I was perfectly content, and lovin' my MKIII with Zu Soul Superfly.  Sigh.  Just when you think you'll be content for years ... 

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,124 of 1,238
Fortunately, I like living in the past :p I just keep telling myself this was state of the art up to 2012...

Congrats on the order though Nyvar - Steve is obviously in a new creative phase and he makes his new amps awfully hard to resist :wink:

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #1,125 of 1,238
  No kiddin'.  Me, myself, and I had a long serious discussion.  The turning point was he reports on his late night listening with MKIV and the Mystery Amp.  Along with when one might suit you better than the other.  The upgrades sound phenomenal, and until he went and did this I was perfectly content, and lovin' my MKIII with Zu Soul Superfly.  Sigh.  Just when you think you'll be content for years ... 

I have never hear any Zu's I was looking at the Superfly's on their site. How are they with the Taboo's low wattage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back