Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,036 of 1,238
Thanks for the input Frank. I just used a Monoprice optical cord from the AppleTV to the DAC. I was actually very impressed with its build quality. My interconnects will both be the new Decware shielded copper interconnects. The speakerwire just happens to be what I have right now. At some point I will have to spring for some better wire. Good wire is just so expensive and I will need two pretty good runs in my current setup.

I think I am going to go with the peachtree DACiT for my starter DAC. It should be pretty good as it gets a lot of great reviews and it has a lot of input and placement flexibility. I have a lot of confidence in the Sabre setup due to Nick's Resonessence Concero. I would definitely get that one if it had a optical input. Someday it could be moved to a desktop or bedside rig.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #1,037 of 1,238
If you want, I'll be willing to contribute my EML 5U4G and a Bendix 6106.

Whoa. I understand the Bendix but the EML mesh?!? That's verrrry generous. Not a cheap tube & I'd feel bad if it broke on somebody else's watch. But the potential impressions would be good to corroborate.

At this point it looks like EML 5U4G, RCA 5Y3GT, USAF-596, Valve Art 274B cryo, Tung-Sol 5U4G, and Bendix 6106. This would be one seriously fun pack...

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #1,038 of 1,238
Quote:
Whoa. I understand the Bendix but the EML mesh?!? That's verrrry generous. Not a cheap tube & I'd feel bad if it broke on somebody else's watch. But the potential impressions would be good to corroborate.

At this point it looks like EML 5U4G, RCA 5Y3GT, USAF-596, Valve Art 274B cryo, Tung-Sol 5U4G, and Bendix 6106. This would be one seriously fun pack...

We might be getting to the point of too many tubes for people to test, but I've also got the Philips that's been mentioned that I could include.

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #1,039 of 1,238
We might be getting to the point of too many tubes for people to test, but I've also got the Philips that's been mentioned that I could include.

OK cool. Let's keep it to six for tradition's sake. Six is a realistic maximum. I'll yank the Tung Sol 5U4G and we can deploy the Philips 5R4GYS in its place. That would cover a wonderful span of possibilities. 3 from my stable and 3 from yours... one exotic each, one mid-price each, and one value tube each. Perfect!

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,040 of 1,238
Quote:
OK cool. Let's keep it to six for tradition's sake. Six is a realistic maximum. I'll yank the Tung Sol 5U4G and we can deploy the Philips 5R4GYS in its place. That would cover a wonderful span of possibilities. 3 from my stable and 3 from yours... one exotic each, one mid-price each, and one value tube each. Perfect!

Sounds like a plan!  

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #1,041 of 1,238
My mighty 596 awaits the winner...
biggrin.gif
  Seriously neat idea Nick!

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #1,042 of 1,238
Yes a great idea - serious sharing of experience that lets people calibrate their own to others' impressions. Like a mini-meet but with more time.

Wish I could participate but being all the way over in New Zealand obviously rules this out. NM, great value for those of us looking on as we scrutinise your agreements and disagreements!!
Looking forward to progress and reports.

Thanks Nick.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,043 of 1,238
Quote:

The Phillips is a terrific tube have one just ordered two more. they are worth it and really cool to look at and honestly Nick I wont spend 240.00 on the Mesh plates just rather deploy the same funds to some really special EL 84 with the same money I can get 4 really nice EL 84 where I believe I will get more bang for my bucks. I got the extra Philips because they will dry up and new ones will get expensive so good for resale IMO. Upscale raised the price 15.00 per tube because they are getting scare on ebay and selling got the same price but Kevin Deal are all new and he very re[utable.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #1,045 of 1,238
Well, I spent some time with the Valve Art 274B in the CSP2+...$13! nice tube for cheap. But I switched back to the USAF-596 today and no question, it kills the 274B. Tighter bass and wider soundstage. Still, for the money and availability the 274B is a good deal.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,046 of 1,238
The USAF-596 is, though I've never heard it, is becoming an obsession.  I pray to God it does not play well with my set up.  If it did I would spend hours a day combing the web trying to hunt one down.  

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,047 of 1,238
Quote:
The USAF-596 is, though I've never heard it, is becoming an obsession.  I pray to God it does not play well with my set up.  If it did I would spend hours a day combing the web trying to hunt one down.  

I grabbed a few during some group buys....I never want to be without one..
biggrin.gif

BTW, how do you like your DM945's? 

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,048 of 1,238
I never want to be without one..

person.  

I think the DM945s are great with the CSP2+ / Taboo and glorious with the CSP2+ and MK III.   I went with the Zus for an upgrade because the ERR are in the process of being redesigned, and I wasn't ready, nor do I have a space that would take advantage of the HR 1.  I was also able to get the Zu's at $900 off list off Audiogon direct from Zu because there's some imperceptible flaw in the finish.  (Haven't found it yet.) 

If it helps put things in perspective, though they're not hooked up at the moment, I have no intention of selling them.  Rather when I have the space I'll pick up a 2nd CSP2+ and build a smaller set up using the CSP2+, Taboo, and DM945s.  

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,049 of 1,238

Users who are viewing this thread

Back