Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Mar 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #1,021 of 1,238
Quote:
So much to look forward to: we've got Frank's review of the Mark III, and the Mark III itself. It seems like a lot of these tubes are pretty inexpensive while others are harder to find and more expensive. I'm most curious to see how much difference they make in sound. This could be lots of fun. As far as cans go, I'm pretty happy (really enthralled) w/my LCD's, but based on what I read of the Fostex's and the Senns, it doesn't sounds like you'd be unhappy either way, Landmantx.

They will be very noticeable on Decware amps. Do remember when you do roll leave tube you installed in a few day to see if you like the way the amp sounds with those tubes. Some people get neurotic and swap like crazy and never give themselves a chance ego see if they like the tube thats in there. usually when I find a combo I like I leave that in for sometimes months and then swap around again.  There may be a eexceoption a ssome tubes you wont like right away and want them out but for most NOS European tubes they all sound very good with slight differences.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #1,022 of 1,238
^ Great advice Frank. In my Lyr days (all of two years ago lol!) I made the mistake of not giving tubes time.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,023 of 1,238
Thanks for the advice.  I'll make sure to keep it in mind.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,024 of 1,238
If you are patient :wink: enough, NOS tubes should be seriously reviewed only after 48hrs.

Beyond that, any further changes would be subtle at best.

One exception to my personal general rule is the Military Bendix 6106 rectifier.
it needs a few hundred hours before it really shines.

For the CSP2+, the BRIMAR 5R4GY 'D' getter rectifier sounds best to me.
The Philips 5R4GYS sold by Upscale Audio is slightly bested in the mids so it is still a great tube for those on a tight budget.

I was so impressed that all my tube amps now have a BRIMAR rectifier in them.
They seem to work very well with SE based tube amps.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #1,025 of 1,238
I'd also chime in on saying to avoid the T1. I'd take any of the other cans you mentioned over it by a wide margin. I finally heard them and after owning an LCD 2, HD800, and extensively auditioning a TH900 I can safely say I'd never buy a T1. Not to mention the measurements cited a few posts earlier.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #1,026 of 1,238
It is interesting, although not surprising, how differently people feel about headphones.

2 weeks ago I had a change to spend time with T1s, HD800, LCD-2s and LCD-3s.  The only one I did not like were the HD800s.  I found the soundstage to be unnaturally wide.  I really felt like I was in a canyon.  While I am still partial to my LCD-3s, I have really started to like the T1s.  I don't find them exaggerated anywhere and except for the fact that they are lighter in bass than the LCD-3s, they are otherwise very pleasing.

The associated amps were the old Taboo, new Taboo, Glenn's OTL and a Woo 6SE.

I am just glad there are a lot of choices.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,027 of 1,238
Even better question, for this pro-decware thread is how did the new Taboo stack up to the Woo in your opinion. It really isn't a huge price difference when you add in the extra power and the ability to power speakers as well. Is the performance gain noticeable???

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,028 of 1,238
Quote:
I'd also chime in on saying to avoid the T1. I'd take any of the other cans you mentioned over it by a wide margin. I finally heard them and after owning an LCD 2, HD800, and extensively auditioning a TH900 I can safely say I'd never buy a T1. Not to mention the measurements cited a few posts earlier.

I have owned the T1 twice and it is an excellent headphone and  very synergistic with both the CSP2 and the Taboo. I highly recommend the headphone.  It is a true flagship headphone and extremly transparent and I own the HD800,LCD2 and also the AT3000 ANV and certainly would not mind owning the T1 again.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #1,029 of 1,238
They are both very nice amps with different characteristics.  I think I prefer the new Taboo with low impedance cans like the LCD-3s, but with high impedance cans I think the differences are less.  The new taboo is a bit more money though.  The 6SE is around $1100 while the taboo is over $1600.  

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #1,030 of 1,238
Quote:
It is interesting, although not surprising, how differently people feel about headphones.

2 weeks ago I had a change to spend time with T1s, HD800, LCD-2s and LCD-3s.  The only one I did not like were the HD800s.  I found the soundstage to be unnaturally wide.  I really felt like I was in a canyon.  While I am still partial to my LCD-3s, I have really started to like the T1s.  I don't find them exaggerated anywhere and except for the fact that they are lighter in bass than the LCD-3s, they are otherwise very pleasing.

The associated amps were the old Taboo, new Taboo, Glenn's OTL and a Woo 6SE.

I am just glad there are a lot of choices.

I also remember when you were at my mini meet in 2011 you did not like the T1 when I owned them
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,031 of 1,238
No doubt that one's impression can be changed over time and with different amps.

Mar 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #1,032 of 1,238
Once upon a time, oh, let's say a decade ago... yours truly launched what was to be known as the THSP (Team Head Six Pack). It was a box of six tubes for the MG Head OTL amp. The THSP traveled across the USA to anyone willing to review all six tubes in their amp & mail to the next person. A free tube rolling excursion if you will. Fun fun!

I'm thinking of launching a new Team Decware Six Pack sometime soon. Anyone with a CSP or Taboo would be eligible to get on the list. The tubes will be rectifiers only... from 5Y3's to a cryo-treated 274B. As long as you are careful with the tubes and willing to review all six before mailing to the next person, you're good. Sound like fun, fellow Decware owners?

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #1,034 of 1,238
Quote:
Once upon a time, oh, let's say a decade ago... yours truly launched what was to be known as the THSP (Team Head Six Pack). It was a box of six tubes for the MG Head OTL amp. The THSP traveled across the USA to anyone willing to review all six tubes in their amp & mail to the next person. A free tube rolling excursion if you will. Fun fun!

I'm thinking of launching a new Team Decware Six Pack sometime soon. Anyone with a CSP or Taboo would be eligible to get on the list. The tubes will be rectifiers only... from 5Y3's to a cryo-treated 274B. As long as you are careful with the tubes and willing to review all six before mailing to the next person, you're good. Sound like fun, fellow Decware owners?

If you want, I'll be willing to contribute my EML 5U4G and a Bendix 6106.  I could bring them over at some point so they ship out together. 

(Plus, I've got a bunch of foam on the way for packing.)

Mar 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #1,035 of 1,238
If everyone stuck $20.00 in the box as it went around we would have enough saved by the time it went full circle to buy wave 2 of Rectifiers. We could really get some great concensus by trying a good number of great tubes. Either way, I would be in as I am looking forward to doing some rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back