Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #871 of 1,238
Quote:
I will be reviewing the new Taboo. Steve started the build today and I have also asked DMinches to come over when I have the amp for review so we can compare the old Taboo with the new model and susing the LCD2.2.,HD800<AT3000ANV and Dminches LCD3. Unfortunately the he500 has to be returned.  In about a month or so I will have a full blown review up  and have impressions. I am really looking forward to the review and the process.

w00t!

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #872 of 1,238
Quote:
My point is that I am trying to convince myself not to buy it. We all know that wont last for long...

I do appreciate the self control.

beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #873 of 1,238
I can't wait to hear Frank's impressions of the new Taboo and the new Lucid Mode. Hopefully he will get his hands on one soon. I have been hard at work trying to find a very affordable DAC to put into the stream. I am also considering the Mad Dog Alphas as a closed can to compliment the LCD2 when I get them. I haven't even started and I am already going crazy.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #874 of 1,238
It is cool that besides tube rolling you can adjust with the Lucid modes and the Hazen mods. I can't wait

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #875 of 1,238
Quote:
It is cool that besides tube rolling you can adjust with the Lucid modes and the Hazen mods. I can't wait

The 6922 gives you plenty of tube options to roll with I have quite a few. i should have the amp in 2 weeks. Looks very interesting with the lucid modes being dual. I am also looking forward to the balanced VS unbalanced comparison. I have the cable pro cable here burning in single ended. Nice cable

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #876 of 1,238
I have really enjoyed the Genalex Golden Lion 6922 for the primary driver in the CSP2+. It works very well with the 6N1P's for the L/R output tubes.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #877 of 1,238
Quote:
I have to say that new Taboo is unbelievably cool looking.  I love the black plate (never did really like the white top of Decware amps) and the meters are super cool too.

Bingo! Agreed completely Rob. This amp looks like a real winner.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #878 of 1,238
As much as I would love to dive in and buy a bunch of tubes, I will probably have to sit on the sidelines and trust the ears of you head-fi gurus. First I need to focus on the DAC and Headphones. Then, I can tweak the cables and tubes if it is worth the $$$$.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #879 of 1,238
Quote:
As much as I would love to dive in and buy a bunch of tubes, I will probably have to sit on the sidelines and trust the ears of you head-fi gurus. First I need to focus on the DAC and Headphones. Then, I can tweak the cables and tubes if it is worth the $$$$.

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #880 of 1,238
So true, so true. I started out with just a Denon AHD5000 in mind for $500. Somewhere along the path I fell in love with having a tube amp, a DAC and the LCDs. So, I will be about $2500 over my original $500 budget. Maybe I have already slipped and I just haven't hit the concrete yet. It's going to be pretty painful when I have to pay for the remainder of my Taboo and for my headphones.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #881 of 1,238
Quote:
So true, so true. I started out with just a Denon AHD5000 in mind for $500. Somewhere along the path I fell in love with having a tube amp, a DAC and the LCDs. So, I will be about $2500 over my original $500 budget. Maybe I have already slipped and I just haven't hit the concrete yet. It's going to be pretty painful when I have to pay for the remainder of my Taboo and for my headphones.

I know the feeling . I also found out your never done. Nice thing s one tube in driver section and only 2 el84.

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #882 of 1,238
Truly...Welcome to the club! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #884 of 1,238
Quote:

I have plenty of tubes that you can try out at some point since you live nearby.  We can try to find some time to work it out once you get your amp.  Should be fun.

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #885 of 1,238
Quote:
I keep telling myself it is a lifetime investment :). There is an evil guy on my left shoulder telling me I should go ahead and spring for the LCD 3's. yikes!!!

Same here Landmantx, though I think my rule is that I will have to raise the funds by selling off gear first.  If you had told me 5 years ago that I would actually consider headphones over $500 I wouldn't have believed it.  I was more than happy with my modest solid state amp and humble HD-650s.

Then I found head-fi....but it's all good, there are certainly worse things to spend your hard-earned cash on. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back