Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #888 of 1,238
Let the waiting begin...

After a long period of research, I've finally decided on a new headphone amp.  Thanks to Head-fi and this thread for helping me find the Zen Taboo.  It's going to be a long 8-12 weeks.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #889 of 1,238
OPB8R, looks like we'll both be watching the build updates!

You can track it at the bottom of the Decware contacts page:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/contacts.html

Click on "Amplifier Real Time Build Sheet"

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #890 of 1,238
Thanks, longbowbbs.  I think you were the one who alerted me to the existence of the MKIII on the LCD-2 Amp Recommendations thread.  So, thanks again 
size]

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #891 of 1,238
Quote:
OPB8R, looks like we'll both be watching the build updates!

You can track it at the bottom of the Decware contacts page:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/contacts.html

Click on "Amplifier Real Time Build Sheet"

I'm a little embarrased to say I've been pulling updates daily and dumping into a spreadsheet to see the progress.  Conditional formatting shows me when any order goes to parts pulled, on bench, testing QC, and packed.  Also a daily count of how many orders are ahead of me. 46...43...42...

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #892 of 1,238
LOLOL...  I was just trying to copy the rows into Google docs to do the same.  Since I don't have a pro version of Adobe it seemed to be more work than it was worth, especially since I don't even show up yet on a list on which I am at the bottom.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #893 of 1,238
Quote:
Thanks, longbowbbs.  I think you were the one who alerted me to the existence of the MKIII on the LCD-2 Amp Recommendations thread.  So, thanks again 
size]

We can both raise a glass Mid May!

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #894 of 1,238
Quote:
LOLOL...  I was just trying to copy the rows into Google docs to do the same.  Since I don't have a pro version of Adobe it seemed to be more work than it was worth, especially since I don't even show up yet on a list on which I am at the bottom.

You should be on it after today. it updates in the evening...Not that I watch much...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #895 of 1,238
I have been spying this thread, the decware forum Taboo thread, and the build order spreadsheet daily! I really am almost glad that there is a wait, because it makes it so much more of a big deal. I have bought many toys in my life, but this is the first one that I have had to watch it all come together. I saw that the first Taboo MKIII is on the bench right now. Hopefully, whoever this Kevin B is, will be on here giving us a review soon. I still have 3 months to wait.

Oper8r what did you spec?

Also, I am reading on the Decware forum about some wanting a switch between speakers and phones. I would love to have that. I wonder if Steve will end up allowing that as a custom option.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #896 of 1,238
I asked Steve about that switch and he was not happy with the potential noise added into the sound. It was not there on purpose.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #897 of 1,238
Quote:
We can both raise a glass Mid May!

That'll give me time to decide if I want to immediately upgrade my DAC and also research which wine/spirit will go best with the occasion.

Quote:
Oper8r what did you spec?

I went Contemporary Walnut, the V-Caps, gold nob and the 4 pin XLR jacks.  Has it been 12 weeks yet?

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #898 of 1,238
Hey nothing to be embarrassed about guys. I started a linear regression to forecast my Taboo's build back in 2011. Then I realized there were too many factors I couldn't account for in the model - e.g. work stopping for Decfest!

Landmantx, the wait certainly makes one appreciate it. Or it's worth the wait. Or something like that...

Longbow's right. Steve recently referred to that switch as "a mistake" in the Decware forum. Steve's preference is that one disconnect the speakers and connect resisters across the terminals when using headphones. As well, different resister values are another option for tuning the hp's sound.

OTOH my Taboo got delivered with the switch. I don't have a switchless Taboo to compare against but it's entirely academic to me - as mine sounds superb :wink:

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #899 of 1,238
I spoke with Steve about the speaker  with the new Taboo. It was designed primarily for headphones thus the lower 4.6 rating because you do not need to connect speakers as the load had been addressed internally. I will be using the amp for headphones in the review as it has no switch I will  be doing the review primarily for the headphones. He also said this one as the other Taboo  can be used with the csp2 but it does not necessarily need to be used that way.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back