Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Mar 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #916 of 1,238
Steve mentioned a Dac on the phone with me that he said was very good and only $150. That one might be a good option, but I still don't understand if I need a balanced DAC. I hate being a Noob.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #917 of 1,238
^ Nothing in the changes described for the new Taboo model suggests a balanced DAC is needed or indeed can be used with it. What has changed is the Taboo III has balanced as well as single-ended headphone outs. There's quite a variety of DACs in use with Decware amps, at just about every price-point! One school of thought - which I agree with - is you should get a neutral, detailed and transparent DAC. This makes your life easier, with just the amp to tailor to your preferred sound. Which you can do *a lot* with these amps - they respond very well to different tubes.

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #918 of 1,238
Quote:
Steve mentioned a Dac on the phone with me that he said was very good and only $150. That one might be a good option, but I still don't understand if I need a balanced DAC. I hate being a Noob.

Was it the Odac? I'm thinking of using one of those with the Taboo this year and going for a better DAC next year.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #920 of 1,238
Balanced vs unbalanced.  The only reason for balanced inputs or outputs is when long distances have to be covered by cable.  I await the review of the Decware amp, I am anxious.  I have the Taboo and CSP2+.  I look forward to hearing about all the speakers at Decware too.  There is currently a lot to look forward to in this thread. Please, include lots of pics.  

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #921 of 1,238
I have an empty 8 gb SD card ready to go for Wednesday....:)

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #922 of 1,238
Quote:
I have an empty 8 gb SD card ready to go for Wednesday....
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the new HR-1 that's replaced my ERR's as Steve's current radial (well hybrid radial at least) design.  They're significantly more "spendy" than my ERR's, but I love that he continues to use radials in some shape or form.  

Mar 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #923 of 1,238
I watched a couple of hours of Zenfest while they were listening to the HR-1's. I am not sure I should listen to them...:) lucky I drive a Prius and I can't fit them in the car! Seriously, it would be neat to hear them on the new monos. Yikes!

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #924 of 1,238
They would have a hard time pulling me out of that listening room come closing time. I wish they still offered the ERR speaker. It sounds like a good fit for me, but I am leaning towards the MG944. Still, I am concerned about a lack of power out of the Taboo and would hate to have to use my Onkyo to drive my new speakers.

First, I have to decide on a DAC and whether I should spend money on a balanced cable from Audeze or Toxic. I still have a couple months, but I am pretty indecisive. I still haven't given up the possibility of the LCD3.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #925 of 1,238
Quote:
They would have a hard time pulling me out of that listening room come closing time. I wish they still offered the ERR speaker. It sounds like a good fit for me, but I am leaning towards the MG944. Still, I am concerned about a lack of power out of the Taboo and would hate to have to use my Onkyo to drive my new speakers.

First, I have to decide on a DAC and whether I should spend money on a balanced cable from Audeze or Toxic. I still have a couple months, but I am pretty indecisive. I still haven't given up the possibility of the LCD3.

We'll have to find some time soon when you can listen to my Taboo + LCD-3 (at least before I sell the LCD-3).  Maybe we can organize a very small meet.  I know I'll need to get back together with Nick Dangerous soon as he and I swapped rectifiers at the Austin meet.  I'll touch base with Nick and see if we can't set something up.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #927 of 1,238
For me, it is the Lucid mode which makes the Taboo sound as good as it does.  I don't think Lucid mode is for everyone since it completely changes the sound stage.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #928 of 1,238
We'll have to find some time soon when you can listen to my Taboo + LCD-3 (at least before I sell the LCD-3).  Maybe we can organize a very small meet.  I know I'll need to get back together with Nick Dangerous soon as he and I swapped rectifiers at the Austin meet.  I'll touch base with Nick and see if we can't set something up.

Monday the 11th or Thursday the 14th works for me. C'mon by & I have an ample-sized community room here (where I host the Dallas Head-Fi meets). I'll also provide a demo of the Concero DAC. It isn't balanced, but if you need that the X-Sabre will do & has a similar sonic signature.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #929 of 1,238
According to UPS the amp is out for delivery so I will have it today. I am looking forward to the process and in a couple weeks DMinches will be here so we can compare the two Taboo amps and also use the csp2 with the mpa with and without. My review should take a good 4-5 weeks to complete.  The headphones I will use will be the LCDw2,LCD3,HD800,AT3000,Beyer 770 80 ohms so I have a pretty good variety of different cans to work with. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #930 of 1,238
Good thing it is in your area today, Frank. We're getting a ton of snow today. 10=12 inches between Madison and Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back