Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Dec 31, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #751 of 1,238
Thanks Rob!

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #754 of 1,238

Finally took an iPhone shot of my Decware Trio (that's the ZP3, CSP2+ and Taboo front to back) to share with the Dec'heads.  Looking to have Steve make me a step-up, but I'm pretty much at end-game for now. :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #755 of 1,238
Quote:

Finally took an iPhone shot of my Decware Trio (that's the ZP3, CSP2+ and Taboo front to back) to share with the Dec'heads.  Looking to have Steve make me a step-up, but I'm pretty much at end-game for now. :)

Nice looking family Hi-Five! I am hoping to add the Taboo and ZP3 over time to complete the set myself.

Any tube rolling that has worked well for you?

popcorn.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #756 of 1,238
Quote:

Nice looking family Hi-Five! I am hoping to add the Taboo and ZP3 over time to complete the set myself.

Any tube rolling that has worked well for you?

popcorn.gif

Thanks longbowbbs!  I cant recommend the Taboo and/or ZP3 enough if you already have a CSP, it really rounds things out nicely.

I'm still rolling tubes in the ZP3 to get the best fit with the Dynavector cart, but I've found most changes in swapping the driver tube.  Had settled on a Tele ecc83 which is fantastic, but currently enjoying a bit more sparkle with a Lorenz ecc83.  I was using a Tung-Sol 5y3gt that was a fantastic rectifier, but trying out one of my RCA 5u4g tubes right now.

Pictured are:
ZP3; Lorenz ecc83, Ei 12ax7, Ei ecc82, RCA 5u4g, Sylvania OA3
CSP; Telefunken e88cc, Brimar CV2492, Bendix 6106
Taboo; Telefunken ecc83; SARATOV 6P15P-EV, Sophia Princess 274b

My ears aren't good enough to hear much of a difference with power tubes (other than EL84/SV83 type swaps on the Taboo).  But for input tubes (hopefully my terminology is correct) in the CSP and Taboo I've really enjoyed Amperex, Telefunken and Brimar NOS tubes.  For my setup anything but the Lorenz or Telefunken is too warm for the DV20X2.  Rectifiers I usually prefer the RCA 5u4g for most applications, but swap in the Sophia occasionally.  I've recently fallen in love with the Bendix 6106 too.  Paired with the right input tubes it is amazing!  Lots of authority, tight bass and the construction of this tube is unreal, it should last forever.

I also have a EML 5u4g that I run in my WA6SE in the bedroom, but I'd love to run it in one of the Decware amps.  Anyone using an EML in any of their Decware's?  I've heard some cautionary tales and am not psyched to risk a $200+ tube without good reason.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #757 of 1,238
I hear you on the driver tubes being the most influential. Steve told me to expect that when I ordered the CSP2+. I have a Genalex Golden Lion 6922 in that spot with the stock 6N1P's for L/R. Really digging the USAF-596 rectifier. I also enjoyed the Jan Sylvania 5U4G in that spot.

Nice on the Dynavector. I loved the 10X4 when I still had my CJ Walker table. Now I am without so I'll probably go to that last and get the Taboo before the ZP3....

What speakers are you running off the Taboo?

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #758 of 1,238
Quote:
I hear you on the driver tubes being the most influential. Steve told me to expect that when I ordered the CSP2+. I have a Genalex Golden Lion 6922 in that spot with the stock 6N1P's for L/R. Really digging the USAF-596 rectifier. I also enjoyed the Jan Sylvania 5U4G in that spot.

Nice on the Dynavector. I loved the 10X4 when I still had my CJ Walker table. Now I am without so I'll probably go to that last and get the Taboo before the ZP3....

What speakers are you running off the Taboo?

Nice, I've been very curious about the 596.  That sucker needs an adapter right?

I'm running Horn Shoppe model 1's on the Taboo.  I really, really love these speakers for the room they are in.  I've not heard many other folded horns, but the midrange is as sweet as can be and they really do play down pretty low, just not super loud.  I thought about getting a sub, but scratched the idea to stay in the purist camp.  It's pretty amazing the sound you can get from a single 3.5" driver and what, six watts from the Taboo?  Love this hobby!  But my wallet hates Head-Fi...and record stores.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #760 of 1,238
Nice!

Here is the 596 on the CSP2+. I got the adapter from 2359Glenn here on Head-Fi....

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #762 of 1,238
Quote:
I also have a EML 5u4g that I run in my WA6SE in the bedroom, but I'd love to run it in one of the Decware amps.  Anyone using an EML in any of their Decware's?  I've heard some cautionary tales and am not psyched to risk a $200+ tube without good reason.

I've run the EML 5U4G in my Taboo for a while and haven't had any issues.  I had a conversation with Steve about this, and I'm fairly certain it's just the EML 274B that will burn out quickly and spark when turning on the Taboo.  I'd feel pretty safe to try it out if I were you.  That being said, I'm not entirely sure it sounds better than the Bendix 6106.  I think it'll depend on the upstream components and personal preference.  (I can definitely say it looks cooler though).

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #763 of 1,238
How dangerous would running a "cheater" two prong adapter be on a CSP2+ and what are the potential consequences?  I am having a nasty ground loop problem that is making it nearly impossible to use the CSP2+ as a preamp.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #764 of 1,238
I have no clue.. You could either ask Steve Deckert at Decware (He is easy to get on the phone) or drop 2359Glenn a PM. He has worked on and modified CSP2+'s before and would probably know.

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #765 of 1,238
Quote:

This Decware forum thread may be of some help to you:

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1341384562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back