Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #46 of 1,238
Yeah, Skylab's review of the LCD2 about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago mentioned the CSP2 IIRC. Look under the LCD2 reviews - it's worth reading along with many others there.

He found it a bit rolled off in the highs. Steve confirmed the CSP2 (now 2+) doesn't suit orthos, strictly speaking. Some technical reason. That's where the Taboo or MiniTorii come into play. Being power amps rather than preamps I guess they have the current delivery the CSP2 doesn't have.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #47 of 1,238
The CSP2 will play the LCD2 but I ordered the Taboo when I owned the CSP2 and the LCD2 and the difference using the two pieces with the LCD2 is staggering There really is no comparison. I recommend the Taboo for the orthos as even with the HE500 it is staggering.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #48 of 1,238

Quote:
Hey WarriorAnt,

It was very easy to tell the tube was dead because it didn't light up and there was no sound coming from my right channel...in fact initially I thought 3 tubes died because my 6V6 and ECC 82 tubes weren't lighting up as well...I know tubes can fail sometimes so I didn't panic. I think the stock tubes are covered for 90 days so there was no issue to replace it...I actually got Steve on the phone when I called and I told him that 3 of my tubes were dead and he told me that the rectifier tube converts AC into DC and that it powers the output/input tubes and that once I replaced it, those tubes would be powered again. And of course he was right. The manual (downloadable online) was helpful in learning about which tubes were what. All the tubes really have a specific purpose, but it's really 2 amps in one so I can see how one might be intimidated by the amount of tubes as if all 10 are different...but that's not the case at all...it's really two sets of 5 specific tube types, with LOTS of flexibility of what you can swap them out for..

Ok, so the 2 switches in the front are for switching between whatever you have connected to the inputs (2 sets of them on the back)...there are also a pair of output connections in the back as  well (for a sub or something else)...the little switch between the two center tubes is the tone knob on/off switch. When engaged it will ease any bright/harsh sounds your getting from your music source or speakers, when you rotate the center (in my case walnut) knob. When the switch is off it is completely out of the circuit. A handy feature that was intended to be particularly useful for any internet tunes from like Pandora etc that may be too harsh. But it's really something you can use anytime you feel necessary. It goes from subtle to very noticeable. The whole amp was totally intended to be not only used for a "major" hifi rig with floor monitors etc (I've seen pics of this amp driving big floor standing speakers!), but for desktop use next to a laptop as well...that's one of the reasons why it's so small...there are 3 sets of switches on the back. One set to turn on each channel, one set to turn the tube regulation on/off, and one set to engage the headphone input and cancel the speakers.

The speakers are Decware Trapeziums. Check them out, they are one of a kind! Designed for desktop use specifically...no rear facing bass port that you have to worry about keeping under control against a wall...it has this "down-firing" bass port that puts the bass on your desk surface. It sounded interesting to me, as i was looking for something unique and this fit the bill perfectly...I really haven't heard it at it's best yet, but what I can say so far is that the bass is strong...meaning I don't feel I'll be needing a sub with these! But it's tight and not bloated. The speakers also angle slightly upward so you don't need to prop them on top of anything to get them ear level or anything because the crossovers were designed to be below ear level. 

And build quality is excellent! It's hand made and I'm really pleased with it so far...more on them to come :)

-H

Thanks.  A lot of this is info I did not know about.    I imagine the Mini puts out some heat with all those tubes.  I will be cycling my listening habits both headphones and speakers around the seasons here in the Sonoran desert.   Tubes from November  to May, solid state from May till November.   So I'll be most likely ordering whatever tube gear I decide upon in the summer hoping it will be ready by summers end so I have some time to research now but can't get anything now that will arrive just when the heat starts here.

I'm wondering if the Taboo or Mini can power the PSB Imagine Mini's or possibly something more like the Anthony Gallo Acoustics Strada's which are my two current choices for a small listening space.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #49 of 1,238

Quote:
Thanks.  A lot of this is info I did not know about.    I imagine the Mini puts out some heat with all those tubes.  I will be cycling my listening habits both headphones and speakers around the seasons here in the Sonoran desert.   Tubes from November  to May, solid state from May till November.   So I'll be most likely ordering whatever tube gear I decide upon in the summer hoping it will be ready by summers end so I have some time to research now but can't get anything now that will arrive just when the heat starts here.

I'm wondering if the Taboo or Mini can power the PSB Imagine Mini's or possibly something more like the Anthony Gallo Acoustics Strada's which are my two current choices for a small listening space.

If the pSB are more than  are less than 93DB they will not be optimal. Usually PSB also go below 4 ohms and usually Paul recommend 10W or more so these flea flickers need high efficiency and work best with 8 ohms speakers IMO.

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #51 of 1,238
This is developing into a very useful thread - well done tink97

(It's great to have speakers discussed too - completely on topic as Taboo/MT are speaker amps too)

Feb 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #52 of 1,238
Garysohn....I thought only wheat farmers lived in the Horse Heaven Hills.  I guess a person needs headphones "up there" to stay awake. [I, former long time resident of Richland]

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #53 of 1,238

Quote:
Also one of the selling points of the MT is that it's supposed to run remarkably cool. One of the owners would have to confirm this...

I have been having the mini torii on for five hours stretches and I feel that the only places it gets hot is the tubes and the area around it a little due to the tubes.  I can touch the base and pick it up without feeling any heat.  This is a wonderful little unit and I am throughly impressed by it, which I didn't think would happen that quickly.  Though this may be "new toy issue" lol  time will tell :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #54 of 1,238

Quote:
This is developing into a very useful thread - well done tink97

(It's great to have speakers discussed too - completely on topic as Taboo/MT are speaker amps too)

Heh yeah I remember when I was debating on getting the decware gear I had a hard time finding alot of input about the amps other than a few reviews, which were great, or the decware forum which is also another great place to read info on these units.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #55 of 1,238
As tink has just mentioned, the amp does not get really hot...its really the output tubes that get hot but its not like all 10 tubes are contributing a lot of heat. I think Decware was keen on making this a pretty cool running tube amp and I think they achieved that..

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #57 of 1,238
^ That would be really interesting WA...surely there must be a head-fier with a Taboo and another with an MT somewhere who live close?

My money's on the Taboo 
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #60 of 1,238

There is and I found him BUT he doesn't use them for headphones!  

FrankI was the first to request a headphone jack, and it was only after that it became an option.   I don't think using them for headphones is all that common.  

And, the parts have been pulled for my CSP2+.   

I had to tell someone, and trust me, my roomie doesn't care.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back