Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 1,238

Quote:
What!  I never realized that either!  I always thought it was at least twice that size.   How big is the Taboo in relation to the Mini?

Taboo is7.25WX14.75 deep and weighs 17 p0unds mini torri is12.125WX9.125 deep and weighs 14 lbs.both are single ended pentode designs the Taboo is 6W and the mini Torri is . 3.3w into 4ohms

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 1,238

How big is the Taboo in relation to the Mini?

Longer and thinner.   7.1/4 x 14 3/4 for both Taboo & CSP2+  

Speaking of which -- how long was it from winding transformers to delivery?   

Mine started getting wound yesterday.   I think I'll luck out at about 3 months of waiting.  End of Nov - End of Feb. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #19 of 1,238
@Nyvar - 2-3 weeks. But mine was delayed by Christmas shipping (to New Zealand) too. Hopefully quicker for you.

I was so tempted by the MiniTorii. The better looking to me. But too many tubes to replace/roll <sigh>

And I have no regrets with the Taboo 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 1,238
Subscribed. I am about to pull the trigger on a CSP2+ and T1 within the next two months now that my financial situation is looking better. I've owned Decware's power cords and interconnects for a year or so now and they definitely improved the performance of my Ref 9 and C2-SA/AD2000 rig by a noticeable margin. Plus Steve's excellent customer service and LIFETIME WARRANTY(!!!) on their products makes them the most underrated amp maker on this site. Thanks for starting this thread!

-Daniel

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 1,238

@AiDee:  Earlier this week they said 2 -3 weeks, but they said 2 -3 weeks 3 weeks ago too.  :wink:   But now something is happening to it. 

I've owned Decware's power cords and interconnects

Do you have the Silver Xhadow?   It's been an ongoing debate with myself on whether I should upgrade my order to the Xhadow, or leave it with the regular connectors.  

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 1,238
Yeah I had called them when I was waiting for my mini but they have great customer service and answered all my questions very patiently.  Its like that Tom Petty song....The waiting is always the hardest part....lol

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #23 of 1,238

Quote:

@AiDee:  Earlier this week they said 2 -3 weeks, but they said 2 -3 weeks 3 weeks ago too.  :wink:   But now something is happening to it. 

Do you have the Silver Xhadow?   It's been an ongoing debate with myself on whether I should upgrade my order to the Xhadow, or leave it with the regular connectors.  

What is the Silver shadow?

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 1,238

What is the Silver shadow?

TOTL RCA interconnects: 

Here's a review of them.   Decware offers them as an alternative connector.  But they ain't cheap.  However, cheaper now than waiting and deciding to try them and buying a new set altogether.  Despite being something of a convert based on my experiences with the W4S tweaks, it's in the area of diminishing returns.   But still....

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #25 of 1,238
@Nyvar - after I ordered and when I realised the queue wasn't moving fast I just forgot about it!! Luckily, my life was (and is) frantically busy...at any other time it would've been very hard.

100% worth the wait though 
smily_headphones1.gif

To sum up my impressions to date, the Taboo is unflappable - never sounds like it's struggling. Seems to deliver what the music demands at each instant, no more no less. By this I mean it doesn't seem to artificially heighten or reduce anything. This gives it a "mature" sound if that makes sense.

There's an even-ness and balance in the way it presents piano notes - fundamentals and harmonics - that makes it easy to hear the layers and colors in the music. (I mention piano because this is the one instrument I have played and know well). I noticed when I did a DACs comparison last year that a bass or lower mids emphasis favors fundamentals; an upper mids/treble emphasis favors hamonics. Figures, when you think about it! If there's too much tendency either way it distorts the tone colors and possibly the musical intentions).

Similarly, the shifting instrumental and vocal layers in music generally seem easier to hear and follow. I have heard subtle effects I simply never noticed before. I think that's probably related to what I just described about piano.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #27 of 1,238

this thread is tempting me to start listening to headphones again...

Assuming you're using speakers, Decware is still the place to go.  The CSP2 was originally designed as a pre-amp, and I believe is the only full sized amp they make that comes with hp out, it's an option at an additional cost with the Taboo.  The Zen Torii MKIII is an heirloom worthy work of art, and I have no doubt performs magnificently.  Just sayin' you don't have to go back to headphones to enjoy them.  

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #28 of 1,238

Quote:
this thread is tempting me to start listening to headphones again...

Dude you are so ready to order the Deware setup/ Man the 944 speakers and the Taboo with the CSP2 and your so done. Get the Taboo headphone option and for like what you we e going to spend on that Cavalli this will cost use 3200 delivered and talk to Steve he may wheel and deal on three pieces to soften the blow. Man  oh man you there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back