Decisions: Victor fx700 or Shure se530
May 3, 2010 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

abunzack

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if someone out there would have some insight on how I should spend some money. Either Shure se530 or JVC Victor fx700. My only IEM's I have now are Denon ch751. (which are breaking after a year) Any advise or opinions would be great. From what I can see they are within $50 of each other.

May 3, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 16
You have to type more about what you like an IEM to sound like (i.e. your sound signature). But for me, having owned both, I think the FX700 is far more superior than the ES530. But that's just my opinion. Again, no one can give you an informed opinion without you giving us specifics on what type of sound signature you're looking for.

May 3, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 16
Never was a fan of the 530. FX700 vote here. Monster MD's or Coppers if you need isolation. If you like the sound of BA's then the DBA-02 seems to be the big news lately. For $350 you can also get Livewire Customs done. You need to be more specific on your needs as Eric said.

May 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Thank you all for the input. Regarding sound signatures i like to hear the nuances, so I would say the highs are important to me. I have two more questions; does the fx700 atleast isolate well (scale 1-10)(10=high) I am not huge on blocking everyone out but I don't enjoy listening to peoples conversations in the lab. Second question; has anyone had their fx500 or 700 break? I am still new to the ins and outs of how sound should come from and be affected by the IEM's.

Once again, thanks for the input. anymore details would be great. I have read some of the forums on the fx700, it seems like eveyone who has them loves them.

May 3, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 16
SE530 is hugely underrated IMO. It has incredible potential, but unfortunately it takes a perfect fit to unleash it. Custom tips are the only way to go and not all custom tips will allow you to get that perfect fit either - they have to be the right length, thickness, made of the right material etc. But when fitted properly, SE530 is the best IEM I've ever heard hands down. It has everything - detail, wonderful timbre, great soundstage, superb separation and dynamic, and great extension both high and low. It is perhaps the most realistic sounding headphone I've heard so far, except for maybe HD800.

May 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 16
If you want deep, rich bass, great midrange clarity and clean extended highs with really wide soundstage then FX700 are perfect(fun to listen). The Shure SE530 has crisp clean presentation with forward midrange and soundstage is smaller than FX700 with great isolation. BTW JVC FX700 shows better details in highs than SE530 and isolation maybe same as C751.

May 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 16
why not ck10 if you like sparkly highs and hearing every detail?ck10 hands down is the most detailed iem i have ever heard and by a good margin,though i havent heard fx700..
Edit:what music genres do you listen to?also do you like much bass?thats a deal breaker...

May 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 16
The transparency and clarity screams on FX-700. I have yet to compare my Etymotic to the FX yet, but it's better than IE8. Timbre on FX-700 is superb. But I have not heard the SE530 before. Isolation on FX is not that good, but I can almost assure you that the FX should be more natural than SE530 in terms of reverb, soundstage and tonality, due to the open air design and the wooden housing. Anyway, both are good choices. My friend has Shure, and I prefer the cable on FX-700/IE8 (both are very similar, softer and not as stiff as shure's).

Oh, regarding the isolation on FX, i'd give it a 6-7 out of 10, since it's open air design. If you're aiming for utmost isolation, FX might not be suitable. Shure with olive easily has better isolation. The FX does leak a bit of sound out to the environment.

People said things like treble roll off on SE530, and personally I do not want to comment on this, but I can comment on the FX. The treble is prominent, and there's shimmer and sparkle to it. It's not harsh or sibilant in any way, even though it extends very high up. The bass is tight, and does not overpower the rest of spectrum. It is not that kind that slaps the music on your face. As far as I can recall, FX is more natural than MD and IE8 that I have, and the bass on MD extends the lowest. IE8's bass lingers the longest. FX is just about right for me. Check out the impression thread of FX-700.

May 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 16
FX-700 have an interesting sound signature.   It is like if you had an EQ and made it into a V shape if you know what I mean...I think some people would think it is great, but those used to e-Q7s or something more neutral would not find them appealing.    Very wide sound stage, controlled low lows...recessed mid-range and very bright highs.....not to everyones taste.  I haven't experimented with tips, just using the default black silicone ones.

May 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
FX-700 have an interesting sound signature.   It is like if you had an EQ and made it into a V shape if you know what I mean...I think some people would think it is great, but those used to e-Q7s or something more neutral would not find them appealing.    Very wide sound stage, controlled low lows...recessed mid-range and very bright highs.....not to everyones taste.  I haven't experimented with tips, just using the default black silicone ones.

You think the FX700 mids are recessed? I love mids almost as equally as I love bass. I can't stand recessed mids (can't tolerate it at all). With that said buddy, I don't think the FX700 mids are recessed at all. It has to be the tip you're using, because true enough the FX700 is tips sensitive. But the stock tips didn't recess the mids to me. The Monster tips, however, are better to my ear all around for the FX700. I agree with you about the e-Q7 and it's wonderful sound, but I think the FX700 is on par with it, just a different sound sig. Actually, the FX700 hit some micro details that the don't e-Q7 doesn't. I think it's unfair to say one is better than the other at that level. Both do something different and better than the other, but the FX700 is my favorite at this moment (the e-Q7 isn't too far behind). Again, for me, it is not a question of better, but preferred sound sigs.

May 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 16
I'll have to experiment with different tips...but right now I stick by my V eq stance.  The highs are so pronounced and airy that my brain might be compensating and recessing the mids as a consequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back